Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 AM
Approved Member

Default Pixel by Pixel

Hey 1C? Why in god's name do you have to make this filter crap pixel by pixel??? Can you really get a freakin' spaz attack from a single pixel??? Why not break the screen up. Say 1 inch square or larger, do a quick average on the contrast values for each square and leave it at that. I think(hope) that is going to be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY faster.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Approved Member

I'm not sure that calculating a 'quick average' would actually save time (it might even take longer), and might well not solve the problem anyway. I suspect that if this is going to be something widely considered in video games, the hardware will have to be modified to do it. Meanwhile, I think we'd best leave 1C:Maddox to sort out the problem themselves - they have a better idea of what the issues are than we do.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Approved Member

The average on the 1 inch square could be based on a random sample of pixels in the square. No need to check every pixel or load up the average calculation with every pixel in the square. But I'm not a programmer. Just trying to apply some common sense to this insanity.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Approved Member

Sorry, but pixels has been removed due to requirement from UBI.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
The average on the 1 inch square could be based on a random sample of pixels in the square. No need to check every pixel or load up the average calculation with every pixel in the square. But I'm not a programmer. Just trying to apply some common sense to this insanity.
Actually, given the parallel processing capabilities of GPUs, I suspect that dealing with this on a per-pixel basis might be quicker. In any case, if you start averaging discreet sections of the screen, you risk causing all sorts of artefacts. Frankly though, I know enough about the problem to know that I don't know enough about the problem to solve it.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim View Post
Sorry, but pixels has been removed due to requirement from UBI.
Of course it is. ROFLMAO
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
Actually, given the parallel processing capabilities of GPUs, I suspect that dealing with this on a per-pixel basis might be quicker. In any case, if you start averaging discreet sections of the screen, you risk causing all sorts of artefacts. Frankly though, I know enough about the problem to know that I don't know enough about the problem to solve it.
Yes. But I notice my graphics card uses sampling routines. So I was just extending that thought. I also have no idea about the problem or how to solve it. Just seems like an azz backward way to do it, pixel by pixel. You can't get a spaz attack from one shiny pixel. I just don't believe that.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Approved Member

It's not about a single pixel, it's about the repentine change of lightning (in a global way). I suggest reading again (and again and again and again) luthier explanation. It's clear.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Approved Member

No need to read it again. Just look at the drop in frame rates from the videos that are being posted again and again and again. It doesn't work. Clear?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
No need to read it again. Just look at the drop in frame rates from the videos that are being posted again and again and again. It doesn't work....
YET

The devs are working on it. Let's at least save our criticisms till they produce a fix. Most of us have AT LEAST one week before we lay hands on the game, and the devs have said they expect to have the issue fixed within DAYS. It is an awful situation, but these are the guys that gave us the best WW2 (and arguably best overall) CFS of the last decade. Let us at least hold judgment till they have a fix out for it, or until we have the game in hand.