Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 12-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Approved Member

Question GTX 580 question

Hi !
Im planning to buy a GTX 580 but im a bit worried if it will run well cause i only have a Corsair CX 600 with 40 amps on the 12+v(in fact it meets the minimum requierments for this card). Does anybody here have any experience of the 580 and a similar PSU?
Forca
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcavitale View Post
Hi !
Im planning to buy a GTX 580 but im a bit worried if it will run well cause i only have a Corsair CX 600 with 40 amps on the 12+v(in fact it meets the minimum requierments for this card). Does anybody here have any experience of the 580 and a similar PSU?
Forca
Personally i would say no............but read below.

This link helps with recommended PSU for SLI but you can get an idea of recommended specs.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

These links have some info regarding your PSU

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...air-cx600-good

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-corsair-cx600

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 12-06-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Approved Member

Thank you very much im gonna look in to those links
Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Approved Member

trust me, you need a new PSU. i had a NOX (not he greatest i know) 630W, brand new, bought a GTX 570 (Phantom, Gainward, not the 570 reference layout, consumes roughly as the 580) and whenever my GPU was stressed my system would power off; analyzing with GPU-Z, i'd read in the log that the power down would always occur after a few minutes over 95% GPU stress, when the card was at its peak of power demand

i found that this happens mostly because as the video card tries to get more power for its needs, the under-powered PSU probably diverts energy that is needed for the CPU or MOBO, and as the MOBO detects that as a dangerous power fluctuation, for stability's sake shuts down the system to prevent damage.

that never happened with CLoD (that was back in march) as it never showed that much GPU demand, but with Crysis, Crysis 2, Witcher 2, any recent power demanding app, it was a constant... i'd get 5-7min play then blackout.

then i decided for a new Corsair TX 850W, 115€ here in euroland, but worth every cent; never regretted its cost, first class quality, all problems gone for good
Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Approved Member

In general, provided that you won't OC neither your CPU or GPU 600W PSU is more than enough for this card.

However CX series from Corsair is no where as good and is known to be a "dodgy" series of PSU-s.

If you can afford it, something from AX series from Crosair (re branded Seasonic with 7 year warranty and cheaper). This should cover all your needs.

If not, then HX or even refreshed VX v.2 series will do just fine.

Or just get a Seasonic PSU and be done with it.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Approved Member

Well since the only game i play nowadays is clod, maybe i could give it a try with my old PSU, otherwise there is a corsair tx 850 for 120 euros
Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcavitale View Post
Well since the only game i play nowadays is clod, maybe i could give it a try with my old PSU, otherwise there is a corsair tx 850 for 120 euros
So long as nothing goes bang and damages anything

I prefer to use Enermax with their 5 year warranty on the higher end PSU's..

http://www.enermax.co.uk/

Recommend at £125.75* Plus shipping cost

http://www.fotemia.co.uk/enermax/net...2-05&pv=acogkq

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 12-06-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Approved Member

Look at my signature ... 200 h of CloD and not a single power issue ... with a three years old 550W PSU.
Believe me, the power calculations done by PSU manufacturers have only one goal: sell more expensive units.
Your PSU is OK.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Approved Member

I should be upgrading to a gtx 580 with 3 gig soon..figure..more ram the better...but will wait till around xmas or right thereafter and hopefully catch some sales.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

Thank you all for your help guys. Actually i been reading a lot about this as well and i have found lots of users with GTX 580 and a PSU like mine, so i think im gonna give it a try, but it is gonna have to be the 1.5 GB Version the 3GB is to expensive