Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Default Nividia or ATI, Intel or AMD

Il-2 definitely runs better on Nividia than ATI using open GL.
I'm considering a new rig for CoD.
The best bang for the buck seems to be AMD and ATI.
However, on the last Vcard upgrade for IL-2 I bought ATI and had to change back to Nividia.
Is there a general consensus as to which brand of Vcard and CPU that works best with CoD.
I have not played CoD, I have it backordered at Ubishop and it has not been made available as yet.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Approved Member

You gonna get a mix of answers here but don't listen to them.
Go for Intel i5/i7 minimum 3GHz and nVidia minimum 1,5GB if you wanna run on ultra settings.
AMD is cheaper and will get you there but Sandybridge is the new black.
And like you said, nVidia works better with this game.

Last edited by Vengeanze; 06-10-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Approved Member

Anyone claiming AMD is worthles for CoD is talking bullshit quite frankly. CoD uses DirectX and so the OpenGL thing is moot. CoD has some very serious issues with both cards re graphics anomilies, such as lines in the landscape, shimmering, poor FSAA, concrete water tiles, flickering shadows. AMD 6XXX series cards also have 3 blue lines on the horizon at low altitudes. All of these issues will be fixed in the future, we hope.

Sandybrige 2500K is the best bang for buck CPU these days, having said that I changed from an i7 920 clocked at 3.8 GHz to an i7 2600K clocked at 4.8GHz and it made not one single pick of difference to CoD. Which bears out the fact that CoD is just not that well optimised, or that it isn't CPU limited. The best bang for buck graphics card is the AMD HD6950 2GB.

If money is no object and you are gaming at 2560x1600 resolution or less then get a Nvidia GTX580 1.5GB (or 3GB if you are really flush). If money is an object then get a AMD HD6970 or a Nvidia GTX570. If you are gaming with multiple monitors such as eyefinity then you will need to go multi GPU and you can forget about going less than 1.5GB for the RAM on each card. So AMD HD6950 or HD6970 in crossfire, a single HD6990 or SLI GTX580s (don't touch the GTX570 if you are going multi screen).

What resolution do you plan to go and are you on a budget?

Last edited by ICDP; 06-10-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

Nice explanations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDP View Post
(don't touch the GTX570 if you are going multi screen).

Why not????
Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSP_Zoop View Post
Il-2 definitely runs better on Nividia than ATI using open GL.
I'm considering a new rig for CoD.
The best bang for the buck seems to be AMD and ATI.
However, on the last Vcard upgrade for IL-2 I bought ATI and had to change back to Nividia.
Is there a general consensus as to which brand of Vcard and CPU that works best with CoD.
I have not played CoD, I have it backordered at Ubishop and it has not been made available as yet.
Any help would be most appreciated.
A. what are you current system specs
B. build a system around you budget and daily needs NOT just for CLoD

S!
EVGA 660SC (super clocked) 2GB Vram
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
64 GB SSD SATA II HD
WIN7 UL 64BIT
Old 06-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_oddball View Post
A. what are you current system specs
B. build a system around you budget and daily needs NOT just for CLoD

S!
Current specs:
Intell E8400 @ 3.0Ghz
RAM 4GB
Nvidia GTS 250 1GB
PS 850watt
MoBo MSI P45 Platinum CrossFire only, no SLI
Vista 32bit
Monitor 1920x1200

Thanks for looking

Last edited by WSP_Zoop; 06-11-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDP View Post
Anyone claiming AMD is worthles for CoD is talking bullshit quite frankly. CoD uses DirectX and so the OpenGL thing is moot. CoD has some very serious issues with both cards re graphics anomilies, such as lines in the landscape, shimmering, poor FSAA, concrete water tiles, flickering shadows. AMD 6XXX series cards also have 3 blue lines on the horizon at low altitudes. All of these issues will be fixed in the future, we hope.

Sandybrige 2500K is the best bang for buck CPU these days, having said that I changed from an i7 920 clocked at 3.8 GHz to an i7 2600K clocked at 4.8GHz and it made not one single pick of difference to CoD. Which bears out the fact that CoD is just not that well optimised, or that it isn't CPU limited. The best bang for buck graphics card is the AMD HD6950 2GB.

If money is no object and you are gaming at 2560x1600 resolution or less then get a Nvidia GTX580 1.5GB (or 3GB if you are really flush). If money is an object then get a AMD HD6970 or a Nvidia GTX570. If you are gaming with multiple monitors such as eyefinity then you will need to go multi GPU and you can forget about going less than 1.5GB for the RAM on each card. So AMD HD6950 or HD6970 in crossfire, a single HD6990 or SLI GTX580s (don't touch the GTX570 if you are going multi screen).

What resolution do you plan to go and are you on a budget?
CoD runs on Direct X? How does one know that? Then is Nvidia or ATI a much different question; running on Direct X?
If I understand correctly, then neither Nvidia or ATI is favoured using Direct X, but no matter which card is used their will be graphics problems at this stage of CoD's development.

Resolution for now is 1920X1200 and this won't change for a min. of 8 months
Budget is 1500.00
Thank you very much for your advice!

Last edited by WSP_Zoop; 06-11-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Approved Member

As a cpu i recommned definitely intel I7
as a graphics card the choice is harder, 6970 has a lot of ram which is very important for high res textures and highresolution monitors, here i think is wiser choice amd with 2 Gb ram , i you have enough money then choose nvidia 580 with 3Gb ram its about 10 percent faster.

try to avoid the sli or crossfire, this technology is not mature enough and you will have a lot of headaches with drivers and game support. maybe in future this will change.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Approved Member

S!

First of all, IL-2:CoD runs on DirectX 9 or 10 depending on settings. Even conf.ini proofs it if you do not believe what Oleg and Luthier said So either AMD or nVidia will run this game adequately given the brands provide driver support/profiles for it.

As of CPU it seems 2500K is the best bang for the buck for now. Paying over 100€ more for 2600K with HyperThreading this game does not even use is worthless IMO. Even my modest rig runs CoD very smoothly and I put most of the performance issues to the messed up coding of the game rather than GPU drivers.

So either way..AMD or Intel CPU or AMD/nVidia GPU is matter of preference. But I would go for something built around the Intel 2500K + Z68 chipset..
Old 06-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Approved Member

As Flanker says, almost verbatim At the moment there is no better choice than the i5 2500k. As far as graphics cards go, this may provide some guidance if you’re thinking about the amount of VRAM that may be necessary: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/...o_card_review/

When it comes to CloD, I found the additional memory allowed higher detail settings without a frame rate penalty, but the difference wasn’t huge. More of it certainly doesn’t hurt, though.

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 | AMD FX-8350 | MSI HD7970 TFOC-BE | 8GB Corsair DDR-III 1866 | Win8.1 Pro 64-bit