Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Tree_UK

Default Ram

Many debates about Ram and how much CLOD use's. In the recent interview at Simhq Oleg stated that updating ram will improve performance if you only have 2GB. Luthier as also stated that there are no issues with ram, so can someone tell me how I will know that all my 12GB of ram is going to be used for pure CLOD goodness and not just 2-3GB of it?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Many debates about Ram and how much CLOD use's. In the recent interview at Simhq Oleg stated that updating ram will improve performance if you only have 2GB. Luthier as also stated that there are no issues with ram, so can someone tell me how I will know that all my 12GB of ram is going to be used for pure CLOD goodness and not just 2-3GB of it?
Luthier has said that the most RAM that Cliffs of Dover will use is ~2.68 GB which is the cache size for a "sector." Essentially there is no need for it to cache more than that.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
all my 12GB of ram is going to be used for pure CLODit?
Which current game DOES use all your 12GB's of ram?
Most new ones I know cap out well below 2gb's
Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
Luthier has said that the most RAM that Cliffs of Dover will use is ~2.68 GB which is the cache size for a "sector." Essentially there is no need for it to cache more than that.
That doesn't make any sense though, when the game was performing badly at the Russian show they said it was because by some mistake they had got PC's with 2Gb of ram installed not the 4GB. I'm confused now
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense though, when the game was performing badly at the Russian show they said it was because by some mistake they had got PC's with 2Gb of ram installed not the 4GB. I'm confused now
2gb ram - windows - all the other processes runing in the background = ~1Gb left for CLOD

4gb ram - windows - all the other processes runing in the background = ~3Gb left for CLOD
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Well it's true that we need more than 2gb as every pic I have seen of the control panel while clod is running shows ~2.5gb in use, so to me it makes sense that for the game to run well at the show a minimum of 3gb of ram would have been required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Approved Member

From what I've seen, it's a 32 bit .exe. That means that it's not going to be able to use as much RAM as a 64 bit. exe. Most of your 12GB will be 'wasted' as far as the game is concerned. Of course it does leave more RAM available for other things like TS, TrackIR, etc.

Why they went with a 32 bit .exe simple amazes me, especially when you consider that both of their recommended MINIMUM spec CPUs are 64 bit processors.. 64 bit processors have been mainstream for so long that it's almost criminal that they didn't go with 64 bit exclusively.

I guess that would have left out those dinosaurs that are still running XP, but that POS OS needs to die anyway.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBuzzard View Post
I guess that would have left out those dinosaurs that are still running XP, but that POS OS needs to die anyway.
After 10 years of service Win XP is still the most used windows OS. So in no way POS.

Why do you think we're still stuck with dx9 as minimum requirement in all games?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Approved Member

Hi everybody,
I suggest you this links
http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=43
here you can find an usefull gadget to monitor constantly your computer resources, it is made for Intel family cpu don't know if it works with amd cpu.
This app shows memory, cpu, vcore load and other stuff

here is a GPU observer gadget
http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=49
very useful as well.
I use them in 3d modelling application.
Ciao
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

Anyone tried toggling the MegaTexture setting in the config.ini from 0 (default) to 1? I'm guessing it is some form of texture compression? Save some RAM?

BTW, I think XP uses less RAM then any of them? It's Vista the one that sux.