Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Approved Member

Default What's the best strategy for surving Normandy - post invasion

Hello,

Been trying like crazy to survive in a P47 above the skies of Normandy just after the invasion. I'm using the DCG application to crank out some really nice ground pounding missions (post June 6) but I'm just getting killed by ack. Seems I'm cursed. I always get the shot that rips off a wing or I get the instant black screen o death. What do you guys do? I've tried the single pass and exit strategy (ie fire all I got and never look back) but haven't had much success. My luck, there's some tiny bridge near the coast with a single flack battery that will take me out. Frustrating but I feel I need to survive at least 20 missions as a ground pounder before I can go on in life

yarbles
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

(quote) there's some tiny bridge near the coast with a single flack battery that will take me out.

Is it possible to come in low from a certain direction thereby useing the bridge as cover?...good luck!

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Approved Member

Alone, perhaps best is to orbit at alt, then shortly before target you dive at extreme speed, then correct/lock onto target which is at 1km distance.
That will give you better survivability since you aren't a target with predictable flat path.
Don't strafe heavily defended targets, just drop your ordnance from alt and GTFOT.

If you aren't alone...
As cruel as it may sound, let your AI buddies go in first - they'll catch most of the flak they'll lock on them.

And if you still feel bad - remember, those guys would KS you without a second thought.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Approved Member

Make sure you exit on a climbing and turning manoeuvre that forces the AI gunners to need to traverse and elevate simultaneously. An elongated S shape is good. It's also the best way to approach too, curving as you descend to throw the guns off their aim. Try not to use a predictable flight-path.
It's worth remembering that ground attack missions, in real life, usually involved responding to the army's requests for a strike on a certain point , or perhaps looking out for trains or vehicles on a certain stretch. For the first type you can work out your approach related to a map reference - for the second you can work it out after you've spotted your target. Either way, keep your approach & exit anything but straight.

B
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

With AAA, do anything, but fly straight.... weave mannnn, weave
Old 05-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Best way to attack a ground target is to circle it at alt maybe 1000m (3000fts)... keeping your wings "flat" with it (not exposing the top/bottom surfaces). Use a lot of rudder to side slip your plane to target. This will have the benefit of loosing alt and changing course at the same time. Release bombs and keep going dropping low and exiting with a long sweeping turn...

Hope this help.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Approved Member

Salute

Our Squad developed a technique which pretty much guarantees safe bombing of the target by a fighter-bomber.

Technique is as follows:

Approach target at approx. 3000 meters, out of the range of light flak. Approach from the right side of the target, approx. 3000 meters horizontal distance away. (same distance separation as altitude.

Circling the target in a wide circle, go to full throttle, WEP, rad shut, start a curving descent, keeping your left wing pointed directly at the target.

When you get below 2500, steepen the descent and start to SLOWLY bring your nose around towards the target. The idea is to have your nose come into a line on target just as you reach 500 meters, or the altitude from where you bomb.

As soon as your nose comes into line on target, straighten out and then immediately fire your rockets, drop your bombs, ALL of them in this first pass. Don't turn back to make a second pass, you will be travelling too slowly then, that is where you get killed. Make sure you have the appropriate delays on your bombs and rockets.

As soon as you get rid of your ordinance, you continue, right down to the deck, rolling back and forth. You do NOT pull G's or turn, just roll back and forth, the yaw in your normal rolling motion will throw the flak off. Keep your speed up, and exit the target area on the deck.

This works nearly every time, very rarely do you die.

Of course, you still have to worry about German fighters... But that is another problem.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 05-30-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:45 AM
Approved Member

The simplest technique: Never fly directly toward a muzzelflash if any type.
If that doesn't work you can always try becoming separated from the rest of the flight and "having to abort"...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the info! I will give these tips and strategies a go. I'll see if I can sustain a survival streak and get back with the results.

yarbles
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Approved Member

Yarbles, go here and watch the instructional videos about how to correctly tackle ground targets:

http://www.darts-page.com/

Highly recommend it. Made my enjoyment of the sim so much greater (thanks Dart).