Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Cryostasis > Technical issues

Technical issues Everything about technical problems and issues

Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Default Shader Model 4.0 Not supported?

Okay, BS, I just downloaded the game right, I installed the new physX drivers, I have the newest video card drivers blah blah.

I start the game and it says "Shader model 4.0 is not supported by your system. The game will launch without advanced PhysX effects.

Normally I'd be like okay my video card is old or something stupid but yeah NO.

I have a Zotac 8800 GT AMP! and the card specifically says shader model 4.0

I have SLI but not at this moment because the fan died on my other 8800.

So whats the problem?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Approved Member

Honestly you just said it all

SLI NOT SUPPORTED and thats what PhysX is all about

Dual Cards for PhysX Man

Sorry fix your other card or take it out of the system

and try again, But its doubtful that shader 4.0 will work on just one card,

PhysX probelly will over look it, just as it does my agp card in one machine and then my SINGLE pci card
in my other machine-

Last edited by WhatsOneMore; 05-01-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Approved Member

Here read this tread and it will give you a clue about sli and PhysX running with Cryostatis

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=7149

READ IT SLOWLY and absorb all it's worth
Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

Well the card isn't even IN my machine, I know what and how to sli and how to have one card do one thing and the other you know.

I'm not your average joe completly. But I mean I just figured SHADER model 4.0 SHOULD still be enabled even with ONE card....

I still ran the game pretty decently on all high even with ONE card and shader 3.0 enabled in game settings..

My puzzle is why I cant use 4.0 when my card IS 4.0

phsyx Should just be going through either my CPU or my GPU working it harder...

How does physX have anything to do with SHADER model 4.0?? maybe thats where i'm still half stupid.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Approved Member

You do not need SLI for PhysX. I have one 8800 GTS 640 overclocked and it runs PhysX in SM4 just fine.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

I know this..><.. MY freaking question is why is it saying I dont have shader model 4.0!

WHEN MY CARD DOES!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Approved Member

Sorry I misunderstood.

Anyway, go into your "config.cfg" and try setting it up in there for SM4. Also make sure you have the latest PhysX driver not included in the most recent graphics driver as of today. Also make sure you have the latest chipset and graphics drivers. Also make sure PhysX in enabled in your nVidia Control Panel.

EDIT: Man... that's a lot of edits...

Last edited by JuggernautOfWar; 05-01-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, I just downloaded the demo.

GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB GDDR3.

This is bullshit. PhysX works in ALL my other games that use it.(with a noticable performance increase)

Why do you guys keep producing games that are really freaking great, but bog them down with shit like this? I mean man, you guys produce some really innovative games, but you just don't even bother to bugtest.

It's telling me I need to boot into Vista for PhysX? NO OTHER PHYSX GAME REQUIRES VISTA OR DX10. You're making a mistake, much like Microsoft made with Halo 2 PC(That was hacked around anyway...)

I hope in the NA retail version, you'll add proper support. I have a Vista boot luckily, but I don't like using it compared to XP. I think I'm going to uninstall the demo right now...and that's really a shame as it looked good, but if I can't enjoy one of it's main selling points...why bother?

Overall...you guys make the type of games that have small cult followings...reward you followers with proper support, please? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Approved Member

Oh... I seem to have forgotten something.

In this game PhysX is only supported in D3D10 (SM4) mode. You must turn on SM4 for PhysX to work in this game. As far as I can remember you cannot use SM4 in Windows XP, no matter the version. (Windows 7 for the WIN)
Old 05-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Approved Member

Right? But why do that? It effectively limits their customer base and has no benefit. DX10 could do amazing things...but given that this is just about enabling PhysX, DX10 should not be needed, so no need for the requirement.

It's lazy of them and quite a bad move. Why must they hamper their games with such stupid limitations? Give me a technical reasons why PhysX requires DX10 in this and no other PhysX game has, not even NVIDIA's official demos.