Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 07-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

If it comes out as well as ROF it will be a big improvement.

Does anyone know if 'redoing everything from scratch' means that the pilot/ground control chat will be redone as well (or at least the British elements)? Right now it is very poor - weaker, in my opinion, than original il-2.

1. Devoid of character - the clipped 'received pronunciation' ('posh' like the Queen!) has a place, but the RAF was a diverse organisation - South Africans, New Zealanders, Scots, Irish, all kinds of regional English accents too. Original il-2 did a better job in this respect. Right now it's like a lampooned idea of stereotyped Englishness by someone who has never been to the country.

2. The annoying micro-pauses where the various speech elements are added together - needs to be tightened up to make it sound like natural speech.

3. Should use correct terminology - bandits, angels, etc.

4. The targetting system ('I will take the leader of the second flight.......blah, blah) is tortuous, stilted and badly done. It would be better to leave this out completely than to do it this badly.

5. Some of the scripting is just poor - eg: "This is the commander speaking"
No-one I think would say that, except maybe in Doctor Who .

Please could we get some more character in there. Also, despite the recent furore over ****** and **** in the heat of life and death situations in the air swear words would definitely be used. I don't expect they will make it but at least can we get a depiction of the stressed reality rather than a bloody genteel afternoon tea party in Knightsbridge!

"This is the commander speaking.. I will take......two...lumps of sugar......in my tea"

Thanks

Last edited by kendo65; 07-03-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

It occurs to me that truly realistic sounds in a flight sim isn't really possible, since aircraft are all so freaking loud it's a bad idea to be anywhere close to them without hearing protection. That same hearing protection muffles and changes the tone of everything you hear. Reality frankly sounds very unpleasant most of the time unless you're standing at least a hundred yards away. As for those cockpit switches... do you really believe the pilot can hear any "click" at all while wearing the flying helmet with the Merlin rumbling a few feet in front of him?

So what's needed isn't realistic sounds, but artful sounds. I think I'd like to hear an idealized version of aircraft engines, with most of the rough pitches smoothed out and lots of bass. Something like what the audience at an airshow hears when the warbirds do a flyby. That would be good.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

How about realistic sounds but not at high volume,don't forget you will probably blow something up at realistic volumes anyway.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Approved Member

lol Kendo, I agree with the inclusion of swearing.

Anybody who doesn't like swearing is welcome to stand 200yds away from me whilst I fire eight .303 MGs at them simultaneously. Then we'll see how long their idiotic prejudice against strong language holds out.