Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Cryostasis > Technical issues

Technical issues Everything about technical problems and issues

Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 PM
BelligerentBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwiebl View Post
your eyes and your brain work with 24 fps. u can't see more than 24 fps.
so it doesnt matter if u got 24 fps or 500. it will look the same for every human in the world.
so why it is not playable with 26 fps for u?
I had to register just so I could call you an idiot.

Humans can't see more than 24 fps eh? Do you know that to be absolute fact or are you just spouting something you've heard in the past from someone else who heard it from someone else. Yes, that's it exactly. The human eye is FAR more capable than YOU could possibly ever understand. This argument has gone around the Internet for far too long and is utter bullshit. If you could only process 24 fps then you, sir, would have been dead a long time ago due to an inability to think, see and react fast enough to prevent a multitude of hazards that humans encounter on a daily basis.

To fix your ignorance, click here to educate yourself.

Last edited by BelligerentBill; 02-28-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

Thats not true zwiebl, if you said over 60 or 500 i would agree, but 26 FPS is noticeable.
Btw Guru3D.com uses these limits for their GPU tests:

Quote:
A word about "FPS"

What are we looking for in gaming performance wise? First off, obviously Guru3D tends to think that all games should be played at the best image quality (IQ) possible. There's a dilemma though, IQ often interferes with the performance of a graphics card. We measure this in FPS, the number of frames a graphics card can render per second, the higher it is the more fluently your game will display itself.

A game's frames per second (FPS) is a measured average of a series of tests. That test often is a time demo, a recorded part of the game which is a 1:1 representation of the actual game and its gameplay experience. After forcing the same image quality settings; this time-demo is then used for all graphics cards so that the actual measuring is as objective as can be.

Frames per second
Gameplay

<30 FPS
very limited gameplay

30-40 FPS
average yet very playable

40-60 FPS
good gameplay

>60 FPS
best possible gameplay

So if a graphics card barely manages less than 30 FPS, then the game is not very playable, we want to avoid that at all cost.
With 30 FPS up-to roughly 40 FPS you'll be very able to play the game with perhaps a tiny stutter at certain graphically intensive parts. Overall a very enjoyable experience. Match the best possible resolution to this result and you'll have the best possible rendering quality versus resolution, hey you want both of them to be as high as possible.
When a graphics card is doing 60 FPS on average or higher then you can rest assured that the game will likely play extremely smoothly at every point in the game, turn on every possible in-game IQ setting.
Over 100 FPS? You have either a MONSTER graphics card or a very old game.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Approved Member

Are you kidding me, anything below 30 FPS is noticeable
Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Approved Member

I think 30 is the limit in most games, if they haven´t got motion blur. Cryostasis has motion blur so I think it´s really playable in 15 fps.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Approved Member

15 is too low imo. I think 25-30 in Crysis.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Approved Member

30~50 in crysis warhead and 20~30 in cryostasis.
And here the multiple cpu core support start to talk and scream
Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Approved Member

Please don't feed the trolls

This issue is really interesting. Cryostasis supports SM 4.0, hardware PhysX, SLI, X-Fi sound and... not CPU multi-threading ?!
On the other hand, there's not a lot of AI to take care of, so would multi-threading have made a big difference ? I wonder. Performance issues are more likely to be caused by improper PhysX support or resolution and graphical options set a bit too high... This game is as graphics-intensive as it gets, I'm not sure it relies a lot on CPU performance. To look their best and run smoothly, modern games demand an ok CPU and a killer GPU, not the contrary. I'll keep an eye on my task manager though
Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Let's see then. Here are some results in a place that i am currently:

1024x768 + Max Settings: 34fps
1920x1440 + Max Settings (without Hardware Physics and Anti-Aliasing): 32fps
1920x1440 + Max Settings: (with Hardware Physics and Anti-Aliasing): 32fps

This clearly shows a CPU limitation, as the results are the same in high and low settings!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Approved Member

Good point, but I don't know what your config is
I'm not sure I can really test this myself, as I'm using Vista64 and nvidia drivers are said to be efficiently multi-threaded in a 64-bit environment... Furthermore, 30% on each core compared to 60% on a single core IS effective multi-threading... I don't know what to think. Maybe I just need some sleep (of Reason).
Old 04-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Approved Member

Lower settings lowered the framerate lol