Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
I can't help it, but smoke plumes made up of small puffs is so 2000 and late... Is there no better way 1C can simulate these?
In short, no. Nor in any other 2011 game so far, although some use prettier shading or more particles (but usually with different performance requirements).
Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltbear View Post

Realy hope this damedge is from an Internal explosion and not from MG`s....

l....
I think that damage is created by the internal fire burning through the thin aluminium panells.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltbear View Post
Realy hope this damedge is from an Internal explosion and not from MG`s....

I promise to find the interviuv i have from a German ground crew member who repaired the planes doing bob...

He statet that the Brit guns in many cases killed the crew but left the plane flyable....And he realy disliked repairing damedged HE-111`s because it took werry long pacthing up all the holes....

Hes opinion was that the british planes had werry effective guns against the bombers and the MG`s was a terror weapon against the crews. You dont need to aim at a specific spot, you just spray the entire bomber with these small bullets, no matter what you will kill some crew members.

He also statet that the ME-109 was a great fighter, but the pilots complained that there was not enough cannon ammo to be effective against bombers and the two MG`s was a waste of weight. They should have removed the MG`s and give the pilots 100 cannon rounds more...

He also told that the Pilots even before BOB complaintet that they had so little fuel. Doing the entire BOB ground crews was working on a field mod for a drop tank, that was what they used many hours on, trying to give the fighter pilots 200ltr more fuel. It was so stupid. We got told that we would get racks for bombs, but no one in high command thought about it was fuel they needed. They had so little fuel and then they would add 250KG of bombs so they would use even more fuel, it was stupid. The ME-109 was a fighter, this idea turning it into a Jabo just show how little the high command understood about airwar.

Who in there right mind would send fighters across the chanal with 400 ltr`s of fuel. With combat they had at most 70mins of fuel. We had to salvage many fighters who had to land somewhere because they didnt have the fuel to get back. Sometimes the "swimmer" in the gas tank would not work correctly so it would show the wrong ammount of fuel, it could also get stuck doing heawy combat manouvers. Many of us on the ground was glad that we didnt have to fly "over there"'

He talks werry little about the FW-190, but he says that it was a great plane in air, but could be a nightmare for the groundcrews. And many 109 pilots never got used to fly it. They joked about it. They give me a sportscar (109) then they let me have fun with it and after that they give me a truck(190)

I promise i try to dig the 15 mins clip up i have somewhere on the 1000 CD`s/DVD`s i have lol....
Concurs with other reports I read, but this mechanics perspective is excellent!

MOAH!!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Approved Member

Interestingly, I think it was Stanford Tuck who adopted a policy of not bringing down the bombers, but instead making sure that they did get home, albeit with dead and dying crew members. He felt that this had a much greater effect on the morale of the Luftwaffe then planes simply not returning at all.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Approved Member

Stil looking for the clip......

But hes story is amazing

he joined luftwaffe as a mechanic in 1937 he repaired planes doing bob he then was send to the eastern front and was in Russia for two years then he was send to Denmark and then back to Russia. He came back to Germany January 1945.

He was in camp until the Berlin airbridge, then the Americans hired him as a mechanic. He joined the newly formed West German airforce and helped structure the maintinace part of it and retired 1961.

realy hope i have succes finding that clip...might be doing the weekend have a looong day at work tomorow friday..

Ltbear
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Interestingly, I think it was Stanford Tuck who adopted a policy of not bringing down the bombers, but instead making sure that they did get home, albeit with dead and dying crew members. He felt that this had a much greater effect on the morale of the Luftwaffe then planes simply not returning at all.
In one of the books I've got, the practice of sending home bombers riddled with bullets to dent morale is attributed to the South African ace A. G. "Sailor" Malan: "...with a dead rear gunner, a dead navigator, and the pilot coughing up his lungs as he lands...I think if you do that it has a better effect on their morale..." from Battle of Britain (Deighton and Hastings, 1980).
Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Acording to "Battle of Britain" by Len Deighton it was Sailor Malan who said he would rather send the German A/C home " with a dead rear gunner, a dead navigator, and the pilot coughing up his lungs as he lands.... I think if you do that it has a better effect on their morale"

Cheers

Beat me to it Chiz, im a poor typist lol

Last edited by Sauf; 02-17-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

I love the shot of the Hurri in the grass!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
I can't help it, but smoke plumes made up of small puffs is so 2000 and late... Is there no better way 1C can simulate these?
The "cut along the dotted line" radio wires are still there too
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloDark7 View Post
The "cut along the dotted line" radio wires are still there too
Use more AA, problem solved.