Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Talking

maybe for a later version a multi player system would be intresting
Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
battleship hull will be more than ready to suffice extra slots compared to all cruiser hulls v had so far.bigger n better
i agree but quite booring given with the right turrets you already over power any fighter fleet u encounter. But this is intresting if a multiplayer version comes out BTW ever played a mod on starwolves 1 where u can choose a battleship takes longer to manouver out of a portal then to play the whole game ^^

Quote:
5. Modular ship design. I agree with Goblin Wizard, the current system is nice but not enough. Ya I know it's easy to force players to choose whether to boost engines or firing rate in that one system slot, but the problem is there aren't enough ship designs to make this viable. Let's face it, everyone flies around in Gunslinger Ts or something at the endgame. The ships are pretty much a "big, bigger, biggest" kind of deal. Let's make them more varied and useful.
now thats a verry intresting thing but i sugest if this gets implemented to also be able to ad turret spots and not only systems (just that i like much turrets and battle ships)
Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirex View Post
maybe for a later version a multi player system would be intresting
As I know there are no such functionality
Old 06-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Wizard View Post
10. Modular ships designs - highly customizable ships (diffrent engines, hulls, armors, shield generators). These mere 4-5 systems slots are not enough.
Watch this trailer. It's a very good example of modular ship design feature.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Trucidation

Hey, I think I've seen that kind of module insertion into spaceships in a game (see 0:33), it was an older game sort of like Star Wolves 1 (each mission in 1 map). Damn, I don't remember the name. I just about creamed myself when I saw it again though, how the hell did I forget about that.

The mission generator (1:13) wasn't very clear though, I just saw a bunch of combat stuff. The rest of it was the usual MMO junk, pretty graphics, PvP, blah blah been there done that.

Edit:
Hell yeah, thank GameSpot for the "related games" feature lol. I looked up Star Wolves and found that old game - it's Star Fury. Too bad there's very little coverage of it, I think it was another niche space sim most people passed over. Here's a screenshot of the grid-style module placing I was talking about. Too bad they don't have any larger resolution images.

Other than that I think the game was a fairly generic 1P space sim, I can't even remember the story. Ugh, I don't like mysteries... I might go try find that game again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star_Fury--928156_20050603_screen004.jpg (30.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Trucidation; 06-16-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Trucidation

Missile turrets (i.e. installed on mothership) were actually already designed (see "LRM2_GK" definition in Modules.xml) - the only thing missing is the "on/off" toggle for missiles on mothership.

Note: I haven't actually tried attaching a missile slot to big ships; I'm just taking the word of those who have.

-
Active perks are also unavailable to pilot sitting in mothership slot. I suppose some of them can be ridiculous (imagine using the increased speed piloting perk while flying the Astartes...), but if they just added a tag on each perk to indicate whether the perk is allowed on mothership or not - similar to Modules_xml "attach_type" - that would solve the problem.

-
Passive perk behaviour appears to be hardcoded inside perkDispatcher.script and CalculatePilotSkills.script. Would it be possible to make perk behaviour depend on the actual definitions inside an XML file, like how modules are currently defined? You would have to modify the two perk scripts extensively though, to loop through each pilot's perks and check whether it contains the tags a function is looking for instead of using hardcoded pilot:HavePerk() checks.

Last edited by Trucidation; 06-17-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Trucidation

Currently all MultiRocket actions are saved in LOGfile.txt. I've got a sample about 1MB in size but 99% of the entries are for MultiRocket. Those can be removed to produce cleaner logs.

-
It would be nice if Ashes of Victory could load from a Civil War final save and "remember" which storyline you chose. I mean, since they're all basically leading to the same thing (war with symbionts), it shouldn't be hard to do. Not really expecting much here but a simply acknowledgement from ex-teammates would be nice. E.g. if you played the MSF storyline you'd get a message from Viper, if you played the Triada storyline then Aja would mail you.

-
I know there's probably nothing major they can do about the game engine at this point, but it could use some more tweaking. It's strange how the fps drops really fast when the number of ships in the system goes up. I mean, most of the time at the normal zoom range ships are only a handful of pixels across (e.g. see any of my screenshots). It's crazy if the engine is trying to render all the small details at that scale. Solution could include an option in the menu to enable a less detailed mode or something.

-
Thank you for FILETYPE MODDING, but isn't this only for dialogs? What about actually adding quests? The game is already ok in this regard but some tutorials on how to actually add them would be helpful. Or maybe even a mission editor like someone mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Trucidation; 06-21-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Will the game engine be better optimized in the expansion to eliminate the slowdowns and low fps with SW2 & SW3?

Secondly, when Bethesda released Fallout 3 the devs were asked what if anything they had learned from player feedback. The lead dev responded 'Don't let the game end'. What he meant of course was that players wanted to carry on in the game world after the main storyline had concluded. Will this be possible?

I would also like to see easy to use tools released so that the community can add mission arcs etc. I know the mod tools are out there but for most players these are too complicated and a simple system would be nice to have; which also of course extends the life of the game as the community create more and more content.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka10000 View Post
Will the game engine be better optimized in the expansion to eliminate the slowdowns and low fps with SW2 & SW3?

Secondly, when Bethesda released Fallout 3 the devs were asked what if anything they had learned from player feedback. The lead dev responded 'Don't let the game end'. What he meant of course was that players wanted to carry on in the game world after the main storyline had concluded. Will this be possible?

I would also like to see easy to use tools released so that the community can add mission arcs etc. I know the mod tools are out there but for most players these are too complicated and a simple system would be nice to have; which also of course extends the life of the game as the community create more and more content.

fallout 3 is different though. bethesda didnt just mean an opening ending, they also mean an easy modible world to let players create hundereds of hours of gameplay, new missions, new cities, design, armor, weaposn etc etc.

one very important thing is to bring back the voices in SW. the galaxy seems noiseless and boring, a personal connection is missing to the team. the new "hero" is personally about as interesting as a ship hull. "i am a trader, i am a trader, i want to find out what happened to my ships" sums up his whole character. BORING!

also, the graphic is outdated, it would be nice just to update it a little. also the missions do get boring after a while and it would be nice to see a more interactive world like systems being conquered or actually chaning sides and more events dependable on players action in the past
Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucidation View Post
Also, hired mercenaries share same faction as "mercenary faction". This is bad because - as someone complained - if mercs hate you, when you hire some mercs they are automatically hostile. What! They take your money and then fight you, lol. This is robbery. Either make their faction separate (I prefer this way) or don't let players hire mercenaries if they are hostile.
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

Currently mercs hate me, but when I hire mercs they are still friendly so I guess it's ok for mercs to hate you lol.

Also I think the merc system has its own uses, since I usually hire the 5k ish team with a flight of 3 men before raiding a pirate station (force shoot to a pirate station and a bunch of pirates will come out, I had 5 Mastiff shooting at me once). However I'd love to see improvements on merc system, like what they said.