Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Approved Member

By default it don't use SLI
Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Approved Member

For me same result with and without SLI for the fps scores but temp of graphic cards is bad with SLI and normal without.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Approved Member

I just ran my test scenario and GPU 2 didn't kick in. only about 32 aircraft and i was getting about 40 fps near terrain from GPU 1, about normal.

Maybe C1 have added their SLI support to show us that there's not much benefit ?? .. hmmmm, depends how you impliment it I think? if GPU 2 did all the terrain stuff, that should show benefits ??? just guessing though.

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
========================================
Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

I think you should wait till nvidia confirm support for CloD.

Here I saw that SLI works and vsynch works on gtx690.

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...sg#post1904751

You can see difference in FPS with and w/o SLI.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranac View Post
I think you should wait till nvidia confirm support for CloD.

Here I saw that SLI works and vsynch works on gtx690.

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...sg#post1904751

You can see difference in FPS with and w/o SLI.
Thats before and after the patch. At least thats what I got out of it.
SLI works the same on a 690, still need profile.

Last edited by r0bc; 10-07-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Approved Member

Default Crossfire since Hotfix

Since the hotfix I was getting more stutters with Crossfire enabled than before. I spent a lot of time tweaking the system yesterday - wanted to go on line on ATAG but decided to try to solve the issues before attempting playing on line. In the end I spent hours messing about and never got to fly! Damn!

I found that I needed to increase the GPU overdrive to max settings (Catalyst Auto Tune max limits) to improve the performance. Interesting that, before I adjusted the settings, the cards were both kicking in but only using about 30% of capacity. Whereas, before the hotfix they were maxing at about 90%.

Now, they each run at about 60% with no penalty on temperature - they get to 68 degrees and sometimes touch 70. Warm but not too hot.

I have CLoD settings pretty much maxed out so performance demand can be quite extreme. Not absolutely perfect, I still get some annoying microstutters and some shimmering on the horizon but not drastic.

In summary, I guess the hotfix has enabled Crossfire to work properly but I have no yardstick to compare anything and have no experience of SLI on Nvidia cards.

Just thought I would throw that info into the mix.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

I think, that you will even get more stutters in sli, because the higher fps draws to fast for textures, which have to be loaded up in the vram. Is the vram full, it hicks up even worse, because he do not have all information available in time.

Interesting to hear from a guy using crossfire/sli with 2 cards with 3gb vram each. I thinks, he would run very smooth in comparison to 2x 580's with only 1,5gb. Would be interesting! A slower card with more vram could beat the 580 setup in running smooth and with sufficient fps.

Anyone here with 2.5 or better 3 gb cards?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:52 AM
Approved Member

Hey people, those that have'nt seen my post, try this. It has got me back to the better performance that we had prior to this patch: -

Hope this helps others that are having the same problem as myself.

Having tried most things that I could think of I've finally found this information (why didn't I think of this before).
This may help others that are using EVGA Precision Tool.

C.o.D. now runs smoother. % of use on both cards has fallen from about 70% to about 55% and the temps have fallen also from around 50--60deg to 40--45deg.
Should have thought of this earlier.

Use Precision Tool to limit frame rate target.

When I checked mine the frame rate was set to refresh rate. I've now lowered this to 35fps and have the results that I've been struggling to achieve.
Here is the link to EVGA's Precision Tool page with an instruction video, hope this helps.

By the way, I'm not using the latest patch/hotfix but have gone back to beta 18956.

Good luck.

http://www.evga.com/precision/

Since this post I've re-installed the latest patch/hotfix, here are the results: -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok Grathos,

Just for you I've re-installed the latest patch/hotfix, here are the results: -

Some slight stuttering (but game now playable, not as smooth as 18956), percentage of use now down to about 40--45% on each card, temps are down to about 45deg on each card (as I've said earlier the Asus runs at about 2deg cooler than the EVGA always has).

Will now continue to try the latest patch/hotfix, this has given me hope.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I've noticed too Grathos, before my 1gb cards were running at the full 1024mb on each card, now down to about 870mb each card. I love it when I see less stress and better performance

Asus M4N98TD-EVO
AMD Phenom2 965 x 4 3.4gig
8gig DDR3 Ram
2x GTS 450 Sli (1gig each)
1Tb HDD Partitioned x 5
700w Coolermaster single rail P/S 52a
Windows 7 64bit
19" Samsung 931BW monitor
1280 x 960 Resolution
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Lets hope for a working profile from Nvidia soon.:-P
Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Approved Member

Default Single Card Comparison

Hmmmm? Now I am confused!

Disabling Crossfire and using one card only does not affect performance at all. In fact, CLoD probably runs better on the one card although the usage goes much higher - sometimes 100%. Temperatures still stay below 70 degrees.

I went on the ATAG server and performance was as good if not better than two cards with Crossfire enabled.

I have tried limiting FPS to 35-40 using Bandicam which I guess is similar to your Precision software with SLI. Doesn't make a lot of noticeable difference? I get really good FPS - over 100 in certain circumstances but the stuttering still occurs with Crossfire.

I even played around with Track IR5 settings - slowing the head tracking down and increasing the smoothing option. I wondered if most of the stutters occured when looking around and the scenery was always playing "catch up". It's better but there are still stutters in level flight keeping vision straight ahead.

True that the stutters are worse close to the ground which implies that the game's complexity challenges any system.