Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Approved Member

Default Improve your aiming/marksman skills

EDIT: The info in this first post is outdated. Disregard the convergences you see here. After more testing I'll post my new recommendations later in the thread.

Before I scare away people with some more complicated stuff, here's a picture:

Now, something more complicated:

This are the harmonization and gun convergences for the P-51 mustang.
  • No.1 guns converge at 1,000 feet / at sight line (inboard)
  • No.2 guns converge at 1,100 feet / 11 inches below sight line (middle)
  • No.3 guns converge at 1,200 feet / 18 inches above sight line (outboard)

From that you can see that the guns not only don't meet at the same convergence horizontally, but not even vertically.

I managed to model .303 caliber bullet trajectories in one of my CAD programs, and I tried to copy the same pattern seen in the P-51 charts. This harmonization pattern is there for a reason, it's not as simple as setting a one point convergence.

Spitfire/Hurricane convergences in the picture should greatly improve kill/damage probabilities for pilots that are not excellent marksmen.

I do not have a joystick at the moment so I need volunteers to test this out.
Preferably pilots who are flying online for a while now, and know their kill ratio and skill level. To see if there will be any improvement.

I put this in the main forum so that as many people as possible see it, because it should really make things easier for the average pilot reading through the front page mainly.

150 yards harmonization, and more advanced patterns coming up..

Last edited by hegykc; 11-07-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 AM
Approved Member

This is very interesting!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegykc View Post
Before I scare away people with some more complicated stuff, here's a picture:

Now, something more complicated:

This are the harmonization and gun convergences for the P-51 mustang.
  • No.1 guns converge at 1,000 feet / at sight line (inboard)
  • No.2 guns converge at 1,100 feet / 11 inches below sight line (middle)
  • No.3 guns converge at 1,200 feet / 18 inches above sight line (outboard)

From that you can see that the guns not only don't meet at the same convergence horizontally, but not even vertically.

I managed to model .303 caliber bullet trajectories in one of my CAD programs, and I tried to copy the same pattern seen in the P-51 charts. This harmonization pattern is there for a reason, it's not as simple as setting a one point convergence.

Spitfire/Hurricane convergences in the picture should greatly improve kill/damage probabilities for pilots that are not excellent marksmen.
Gun sight distance should be set at 330 yards although the harmonization is set up for a target at 300 yards distance.

I do not have a joystick at the moment so I need volunteers to test this out.
Preferably pilots who are flying online for a while now, and know their kill ratio and skill level. To see if there will be any improvement.

I put this in the main forum so that as many people as possible see it, because it should really make things easier for the average pilot reading through the front page mainly.

150 yards harmonization, and more advanced patterns coming up..
Salute

Those are the official P-51 convergence patterns, drawn up for average pilots who were not very good shots.

Most experienced Aces preferred to go for a tighter pattern, for more concentrated hitting power. Also remember that the P-51 was equipped with .50 calibre weapons, much more effective than a .303, it only took a couple .50's to do the damage of 10 .303's, so you could afford to spread out your pattern and still be effective against the primary target for the P-51, which was single engined fighters, relatively fragile targets.

The British had as their primary focus, medium bombers, with fighters a distant second. Of course most guys in this game prefer to shoot down fighter opponents, but they will meet bombers.

It's the old dilemma, shotgun pattern for better chance of a hit, or concentrated for more effect when you do hit.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 AM
71st_Mastiff

this is confusing me, isn't the settings for guns in meters?

So whats those setting in yards? or meters?

and in the game the guns are out board to inboard another confusing thing?

so 1/8 is outer most, with 2/7, 3/6, 4/5.

I'm confused?
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc

Last edited by GF_Mastiff; 10-29-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Approved Member

Units of measurement int the pictures are yards. If the game uses meters, convert.
No. 1 guns are inboard, as per the mustang charts.

I can correct these to be as in the game, but later..
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Approved Member

Check out the the Spitfire convergence pattern.... really exotic:
Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Units of measurement int the pictures are yards. If the game uses meters, convert.
No. 1 guns are inboard, as per the mustang charts.

I can correct these to be as in the game, but later..
Thanks for providing this.

Mastiff has made a point though about confusion, the top chart is in yards, the below P-51 chart is in feet, it would be better to convert everything to feet I think.

150 yards = 450 ft
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Approved Member

So what does the game use for distance? meters?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
So what does the game use for distance? meters?
Metres.

I set my RAF sights to 200 yards (183m in the guns setting page). I set that as both horizontal and vertical convergence for point harmonisation of all guns at 200yds (183m).

If I miss, I miss. But you get a close scatter within a few feet up to about 50yds either side of harmonisation and it seems quite effective against bombers if not those pesky tungsten armoured 109s

I have a ballistics spreadsheet for all the guns in IL-2 '46 somewhere based on RL values but in the end it came down to KISS.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Approved Member

Here's the "cone of death" for one point convergence vs. the harmonized one: