Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Approved Member

Default Air Force Bases of CloD - Printable cards

AFBs of CloD 2 is available here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=35074

I fly a lot in the game. It has always bothered me that if I create a plane at any airfield, I get almost no information about where I am, where is the runway, how long it is and which directions I can take off in. I don’t know where the obstacles are, buildings and taxiways. I do not know if a bomber will have enough space to take off or not? These things in a real flight - for very clear reasons - are not a problem. The lack of information was the reason for accidents during the Storm Of War Campaigns: Battle of Britain multi-squadron event that some of us played recently...

So, the idea was born, we have to collect the data! It was relatively easy, I made screenshots in the FMB and collected information on the layout and heading of runways. I could save the nearby areas of the airports, and the layouts too. Then I just had to create the maps. It was harder to figure out as a design, and what would be on it, and what would not. (The design based on the old maps, the modern ICAO standard maps, and Jeppesen cards)

To say the obvious, they are not copies of old maps, these maps made ​​specifically for the game. The old maps provided very little information, compared to the modern ICAO standard maps, so I have used the modern solutions. But the design, the colors – as far as possible – I used the old solutions. For example, I use ICAO codes for all AFB. If the AFB exist today, the ICAO code is valid. If it no longer exists I looked for letters which are not in use.

The magnetic declination in reality are curved lines which always change and also varies according to geographical location. In the game they are straight lines because the declination is a constant -10 deg on the whole map. Therefore I am unable to use the old German map-grid because the base of the game is the 10x10km grid, the germans used the 1 degree latitude and longitude coordinates, which are completely different.

I plan to add the other airfields in a similar manner however it is meticulous and long winded work. If anyone knows Adobe Illustrator, and you like it, I welcome any help.

And – of course – if anyone finds a bug, or have a proposal, just tell me, and i will fix it (two weeks be sure!).
Special thanks to 5./JG27.Farber, No.501_Robo. and SC/JG_IvanK, who helped in the creation of a document with suggestions, opinions and data.

North-France and East-England .pdf
Download v4.3 08.24.2012. First public release
The fixed v4.4 version is available! 08.24.2012. fixed the bugs, which Bongodriver mentioned in #03
The fixed v4.5 versions is available! 08.25.2012. fixed the bugs, which Kodoss mentioned in #21

Who make missions, they know, the "battle-area" is changable in FMB. I dont know the benefits, but it have a huge disadvantage, the map coordinates also changed.
We have an initiative with Farber: It would be superb, if every online map uses same, standardized coordinates. This document also contains these values​​. I link here an empty mission file, with the standard battle-area settings. Please, use it in all online server.
Fullgrid mission

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here

Last edited by VO101_Tom; 10-31-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Approved Member

Great work VO101_Tom! This really are great even if you only look at them! They could really enhance a flight and add allot of immersion, where can I get a hard copy?

Storm of War Campaigns Server maps support the grid used in these documents, check them out!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

Nice work, just a small ammendment with regards to UK ICAO codes if I may, you have canterbury as EGMH but EGMH is the actual designation for manston today, EGMH is the designation for manston since it became Civillian, RAF manston's ICAO code was EGUM.

Rochford in now Southend airport and has the ICAO EGMC

You have bolded Lympne and Maidstone as existing ICAO codes in the legend but in reality these airfield do not exist any more (though part of Lympnes old runway is still visible.

I only though I'd let you know about the corrections as I thought it was a really nice touch to make the legend at the end.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

Nice work; thanks a lot!

Hawkinge airfield left me with a little strange felling I do not see a runway in any direction at all, is there one? In any case it is very dificult to follow.

Last edited by senseispcc; 08-24-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

Fantastic! Thanks a lot.

Nos 310. & 311. Czechoslovak (virtual) squadrons

Asus P5N-T DELUXE nForce 780i, Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, GeForce 580 GTX 1.5 GB, SSD OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, Windows 7 64bit, Hewlett Packard LP2475w 24"
MS Sidewinder FF, Saitek Pedals, CH Throttle, Home made Trim Box, TrackIR 5
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Nice work, just a small ammendment with regards to UK ICAO codes if I may, you have canterbury as EGMH but EGMH is the actual designation for manston today, EGMH is the designation for manston since it became Civillian, RAF manston's ICAO code was EGUM.

Rochford in now Southend airport and has the ICAO EGMC

You have bolded Lympne and Maidstone as existing ICAO codes in the legend but in reality these airfield do not exist any more (though part of Lympnes old runway is still visible.

I only though I'd let you know about the corrections as I thought it was a really nice touch to make the legend at the end.
Thx.
Please collect the issues, and i will fix it.

I checked the ICAO codes here, i didn't find Manston, but i find EGMH (MSE) – Kent International Airport – Canterbury, England. I thought this Canterbury is the "Clod Canterbury" Airport

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Approved Member

Superb work Tom.

Thanks to all involved.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

Awesome! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

WOW EXCELENT WORKKKk!!!!!!!!!! can i post it in my squadron website whit your permissions? Incredible, just incredible

[IMG]http://www.rincondesimulacion.com/im...00x200warz.png[/IMG]
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_corleone View Post
WOW EXCELENT WORKKKk!!!!!!!!!! can i post it in my squadron website whit your permissions? Incredible, just incredible
Thx
Post it the pcpilot download page please.