Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Approved Member

Default Need help with Logitech G940 joystick (auto-center spring)

Just bought a G940 flight system and I'm semi impressed. Feels nice and all, but the force feedback is all sorts of jacked up and ridiculous.

I bought the G940 mainly because I knew it had a "no center-spring" option and the force feedback, of course. My issue is with 1946 and Cliffs of Dover, which are the only games I've tried with this so far, the centering is amazingly strong while flying, massively overpowering any flight control surface modeling. It's like locked in stiff and hardly movable no matter what settings or sliders I change in the global config/profile config. I'm using the latest profile manager software, 5.10, and updated the stick's firmware to 1.47...which is the problem I'm assuming.

The only way I've found to get rid of the overbearing center-spring is to edit the spring.ffe file for both 1946 and CloD and delete the "spring" settings so it's essentially a blank file, but then the coolest function of force feedback is inoperative.

Is there a viable fix for getting rid of the garbage auto-center spring crap?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

Go to oyur logitech profile options - global device setitngs, there should be 4 bars and one "click", unclick that ( something like "enable center spring"), and its gone.

PS.: make sure you have a recent verison of the software, i think in the first versions there was no option to totally disable the center spring.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

That was obviously the first thing I tried to do. It is ineffective. The only time that makes a difference is when I'm in the calibration screen and you can press a joystick button to "demo" the force feedback effects...as soon as I exit out of that screen the joystick stiffens up again.

I'm messing around with ffedit, but I have no reference to go by so I'm not sure if I'm setting thigs up the way they should be.

I've read that there are issues with this firmware and auto-centering and I'm wondering if anyone has found a fix in the 3 years its been a problem.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Approved Member

The following guidfe applies only to IL2 cliffs of dover. il2 1946 does not have this kind of FF support.

either one of 2:

1-THe logitech profiler is failing to initiate at game start. Try putting every sldier to 0 and going in game: is the stick flat and effortless? good, jump to 2, is it still stiff as a rock? then try setting up your profile to global and head to the G940 forum in logitech- i cnat do more for you sorry

2-If your stick profile is actually working than its just a case of fine tuning your stick. I dont know you and your knowledge on the matter, so please dont take me wrong if i over explain things: Self centering is just an overral strength aplied to the stick independent of the plane motion. In real life if you are on the ground the stick will nto center it self and will fall with gravity ( upward), but as soon as you pick up speed it will get as stiff as a rock and hard to move. SO, try sitting yourslef in a plane on takeoff, if your stick is light here, and as soon as you take off go stiff, its working nicely as intended, if its stiff on the ground, back to 1. Some other behaviours yoour G940 will have who are a result of FF : in a stall the stick will go light as a father and in a spin will be pulling to either upper left or right, and not center, if you loose a wing the stick will go either left or right etc.... Once again if you test any of these and the stick is always in the same stiffnes, back to 1.

this is all i can do for you i think. If oyu still want issues try to find me in Steam as E69_Pupo, and i will arrange a TS server to help you further
Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

Hello mate. I had this exact problem when my stick was new. It felt so stiff no matter what I did I was thinking it was faulty, and when it did move it was notchy and felt just awful.

I uninstalled all the software, and as a precaution also uninstalled the previous stick's software (a 3Dpro). When I re-installed the G940 software the problem had gone, although it sometimes re-occurs if I alt/tab out of the game and back in again. The good news is that a swift tug on the elevators frees it up again.

Try uninstalling all stick software on your pc, re-install the logitech stuff, update the firmware and you should be good to go.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Approved Member

Great, thanks for the info fellas. Sorry if I was short with ya pupo, I was cranky from stayin up all night screwing with that joystick and hadn't gone to bed yet.

I didn't realize 1946 didn't have the "control surface" force feedback support. That actually helps a ton and may be the reason I was seeing little variance between my experimental changes...I started using 1946 to test for the last half of the night, expecting the force feedback speed characteristics exactly as you described...but there is a "spring.ffe" file in 1946, which lead me to believe there was. Are you absolutely sure flight control surface feedback is not supported?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortedMan View Post
Great, thanks for the info fellas. Sorry if I was short with ya pupo, I was cranky from stayin up all night screwing with that joystick and hadn't gone to bed yet.

I didn't realize 1946 didn't have the "control surface" force feedback support. That actually helps a ton and may be the reason I was seeing little variance between my experimental changes...I started using 1946 to test for the last half of the night, expecting the force feedback speed characteristics exactly as you described...but there is a "spring.ffe" file in 1946, which lead me to believe there was. Are you absolutely sure flight control surface feedback is not supported?
well ti is supported but in a totally different manner. oh and you didnt go wrong with me,both my responses soudned a tad patronizing, im used to explain this stuff to people who are total noobies. Back on topic, in 1946 i have to have center sprign on or i dont really fill any force, in COD center spring is off, and all the force i feel is the joystick FF. Also, it doenst have some off the more complex effects COD has ( the spin effect, the loss of wings, the on ground vs airbourne etc), simply saying FF in 1946 is pretty much just vibration, COD, altough not perfect its the best i've ever tried and the most similar to RL.

my settings are straight forwards:

cs - OFF.

try them, i would rase those values since i feel the stick too light still, but then it becomes unflyable if i shoot the guns.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

So I finally got everything working after another frustrating couple of hours fiddling with settings.

Il2 1946 DOES model flight control surfaces into force feedback. It took a complete uninstall/reinstall of the Logitech Profiler software and hardware drivers, and a calibration clearing utility to finally get what I wanted: little to no centering with strong FFB effects when applicable. Also, I found zero results when screwing around with the global hardware settings, only setting a profile to be PERSISTENT in the software then going to edit>specific game settings and configure my stuff there.

Very glad all that is over. Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortedMan View Post
So I finally got everything working.
Good to know. Now you can start to enjoy what is a really good stick setup.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Approved Member

Running into some strange bugs here...

It feels like the force feedback is somehow overloading the stick, as in, I'll be banking and on the brink of a stall, so the stick will be shaking, and fire my guns (which adds guns shake) and the force feedback just "breaks" and goes limp. Meanwhile, my ingame flightstick goes max right and max forward as if it was EXTREMELY miscalibrated, so my aircraft goes careening into a downward spiral. Usually a couple cycles of the stick in full circles at its limits resets it, but by then I've lost my target and I'm in a dive.

This happens after about 45 min to one hour after playing, I'm wondering if it's an issue of overheating or a case of just a bad stick out of the box.