Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabin View Post
I love this game and I want to have its babies, let's just get that out of the way first.

The deadzone issue with the AV8R makes it unplayable for me as my frustration level eventually gets to the point where I /ragequit
  • If they ever make this game for PC, I'm buying it.
  • If MS ever fix the deadzone issue in their drivers, I'll play this on 360 again.
In the meantime, the nice man at GAME gave me a full refund on BoP so I can play something that doesn't have these issues. I know, it's just me, lots of people can put up with the deadzone - I just ain't one of them.

(The deadzone doesn't show up much with HAWX/ACE Combat because they have the missile 'lock on' system and you don't need to keep the darn target in your sights!)
We don't know yet but you might not have seen this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill Yudintsev View Post
But we have more good news for all former (or current) PC-sim players - stay tuned.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey the 3rd View Post
Never heard of IL-2:1946? It's much superior to BoP.
BoP vs 1946..
A friend of mine bought BoP for the 360 and returned it the next day.
He couldn't stand the fact that when he crashed, the rotorblades stayed intact. not being able to start engines at the airstrip, preparing the flight etc, etc.

Altough the game has realistic and simulator, it's most parts are just arcade.
The game feels half-baked and is missing a lot of fine details.

I love the game and it's a beauty but I had to agree on most of his issues.
I was sorry to see him leave the sky because of these minor issues.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsurfer View Post
Amen to that!

I'm sure in real life WW2 pilots also struggled to keep a target steady in their sights.
Well, even on PC you struggle with controls but the deadzone still SUCKS.

Watch that video. You can't make those kind of shots on the console version with the deadzone as it is. This is why some people would go back to the PC version.

This is also why MS sucks. They try way to hard to control your game experience.

Also notice the player's control over point of view in that video - we don't have that level of POV control either. This game needs head tracking.

Last edited by fuzzychickens; 09-27-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Approved Member

Nice vid mate but I beg to differ. Ive made shots from similar angles even using the pad never mind using a stick. Yes they were in realistic and against the AI but they are doable. However I fully agree taht the deadzone is an issue, but do remember this; The way the Xbox is made is so that the stick is essentially just a big control pad. Because of that the same level of deadzone is applied across both devices, even though a stick has a larger window of operation (ie more movement range). While on a pad the current deadzone is fine, the stick suffers because of it. It would need MS themselves to re-write the entire control code to allow for devices with individual settings. Theres not much that Anton and the team can do at this point about it.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexandro View Post
Nice vid mate but I beg to differ. Ive made shots from similar angles even using the pad never mind using a stick. Yes they were in realistic and against the AI but they are doable. However I fully agree taht the deadzone is an issue, but do remember this; The way the Xbox is made is so that the stick is essentially just a big control pad. Because of that the same level of deadzone is applied across both devices, even though a stick has a larger window of operation (ie more movement range). While on a pad the current deadzone is fine, the stick suffers because of it. It would need MS themselves to re-write the entire control code to allow for devices with individual settings. Theres not much that Anton and the team can do at this point about it.
LOL, there is a difference between having made those shots and doing it on a regular basis - consistently.

I can make nasty deflection shots on the PC like those shown in the video again and again.

I can make those shots on the PS3 with a success rate about 30% of what I could do on the PC.

It matters a lot.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey the 3rd View Post
Never heard of IL-2:1946? It's much superior to BoP.
Played it for ages - even have the *coughs* beta patched *coughs* version

BoP is a superb game, it just needs to be on PC so I can play it with my stick and pedals without a deadzone (and with logarithmic sensitivity in the elevators...)

I saw the other quote about 'PC users' possibly having something to look forward to and I'd like to be one of them
Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Approved Member

Another thing the game needs - is 1080p resolution. Higher res on PC helps a lot.

Even if they have to tone graphical effects down to get frame rate to the same level it would be worth it.

Crosshairs in cockpit view just look grainy at 720p and obscure targets. Planes at distance are too hard to ID - shape is hard to judge at 720p.

Ground targets may be easier to find at high res too.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Approved Member

I play on a 37" lcd samsung tv. Run at 720p. (im on xbox 360)
Just for fun i fired up the "real" iL-2 Sturmovik:1946 and run it on 1360X768p from my computer. Now the difference is just 720p vs 768p in resolution and still . . . the crispness and sharpness was huge to the pc-version advantage.
The cockpit was very easy to see and read all the dials and so on.

Perhaps its not fair to compare xbox 360's 720p res. vs the comp. 768p res. I dont really know but the difference was BIG.

Now for the joystick, i read somewhere that they built in a small deadzone for joysticks so they wont be to "accurate" compare those who just play with the gamepads.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrester View Post
I play on a 37" lcd samsung tv. Run at 720p. (im on xbox 360)
Just for fun i fired up the "real" iL-2 Sturmovik:1946 and run it on 1360X768p from my computer. Now the difference is just 720p vs 768p in resolution and still . . . the crispness and sharpness was huge to the pc-version advantage.
The cockpit was very easy to see and read all the dials and so on.

Perhaps its not fair to compare xbox 360's 720p res. vs the comp. 768p res. I dont really know but the difference was BIG.
That's because on a LCD display it will look the best (especially when it comes to sharpness) running on it's native resolution. When you run on a different resolution the image will have a muddy look to it especially when upscaling an image. I have seen some HDTV have a 1:1 option which will black out the pixels not used instead of trying to make the lower resolution image fit the whole screen. But in the case where the 360 is upscaling the image and not the TV this option won't do any good.

Last edited by Smidlee; 10-04-2009 at 09:30 PM.