Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

Default Spitfire Mk. I tutorial movie by me

[Posted in here, in the main forum, for a few days, with the permission of DooLittleRaider]

Hi all,

I put up a new movie, and this time it is a bit more useful than the fun vids I've made so far. It is my best attempt at a Spitfire Mk. I Tutorial movie.

Find the movie on my web site: www.flightsimvids.com

There is a LOT more work to making a tutorial video than to my usual vids for pure amusement, so I hope you will appreciate the effort! (Even if perhaps not the result...)

If you haven't enjoyed the superb fun that is flying with Complex Engine Management in Il-2 CoD maybe now is the time!

- The Spitfire modelled in CoD really gives a tremendous feeling of raw power wrapped inside a beautiful, streamlined aeroplane. When you master it (I'm still not quite there) you will have a great feeling of the sky belonging to you, zooming around effortlessly at the flick of a wrist and the slight push of a lever. There is heft and inertia to the plane, and it can be quite daunting to take it up, but it DOES help that one's behind is not on the line, and that the hierarchy won't have that behind served on a platter if you muck up...

I can only imagine the excitement and fear that must have gripped young recruits back then, 70-odd years ago, when they first walked out to a parked Spitfire before taking her up. Actually, I can imagine it much better now that I have flown it in CoD.

Big thanks go to 2GvSAP_Flea, who helped me a lot with the video, and whose super-impressive "Il-2 CoD Aircraft Operations Checklist" can be found on my web site as well. Also thanks to jf1981 (1C forums), whose comments and quick guide helped a lot too. I made my own quick guide (partly based on Flea's pdf and jf1981's document) and linked it at the web site too, for those who want to just jump into the Spit and get her into the air. And maybe even land...

Pls comment if you think I should correct some things in the movie, or well, if you just feel like it...

Bf-109E with manual pitch is up next. - IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH A QUICK GUIDE PLS GO HERE:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...047#post388047

Last edited by Freycinet; 02-05-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Approved Member

This is brilliant, been flying CEM from day one but there's always things you can learn, but I've never bothered doing things like fiddling with the gunsight etc. so that was extremely helpful.

Just one thing though, more as a point of interest rather than correction (just a different way of doing things I suppose!) is that when I try to exit a spin I do all the things you did, except I also put ailerons out of the spin - i.e. opposite to the rudder (so if your left foot goes down, stick goes to the right... I think ). I don't know if it helps much, since you seemed to get out of the spin just as quick as I do, maybe even slightly quicker, but I read that as a recommendation some time back and it's always worked. Maybe it was meant for modern props rather than a Mk.I Spit though.

Still, keep up the great work! I always make a point of watching these just to learn something new or see how someone else does things, so even as someone with relative experience with CEM these kinds of videos are still brilliant to watch and much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

well SD codes are 501 sqn who flew hurri's through '40- but that would be nit picking

as usual good stuff
Old 02-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

SD are also my initials...
Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupsised View Post
when I try to exit a spin I do all the things you did, except I also put ailerons out of the spin - i.e. opposite to the rudder (so if your left foot goes down, stick goes to the right... I think ). I don't know if it helps much, since you seemed to get out of the spin just as quick as I do, maybe even slightly quicker, but I read that as a recommendation some time back and it's always worked.
This is very interesting and a good point. If my technique isn't really the right one, then it should be corrected!

- Can anybody else chip in?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Well, the standard out of spin procedure is:

P...Power- idle
A...Aileron-neutral
R...Rudder-opposite rotation
E...Elevator-forward to break the stalled condition
All this is done simultaneously.

PARE being the mnemonic.

Nice video, thank you Freycinet. I would have added trim usage (especially in that climb to hold 160 mph) and more attention to the ball. All in all, a great help, thx for your work.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freycinet View Post
This is very interesting and a good point. If my technique isn't really the right one, then it should be corrected!

- Can anybody else chip in?
Just did some quick tests (scientifically, both ways three times each) to get an average time on how long it took to recover from a self-induced spin (I put the throttle to idol, rudder hard over to the right, ailerons to the left and pulled back on the stick to induce the spin).

My way average recovery after three attempts was 9.83 seconds with the lowest being 9 seconds dead, middle was 9.7 and the highest was 10.8

Your way the average was 5.73 seconds, the lowest being 4.8, then 6.2 and 6.3.

Obviously there are too many variables to say that all 6 times were exactly the same spin, I tried to leave it spinning for around four seconds before trying to recover, but that probably wasn't pinpoint accurate at least. Either way, it'd seem your way is substantially quicker enough to say that, variables aside, it is probably still the quicker way considering how much quicker it was in the tests.

It would seem, then, scientifically (ish ) that your way is the better way, by about one third. Again, that's why these videos are so useful, you're always learning something new!

EDIT: And Nepe essentially confirms that, so I'll go with that way from now on. Thanks both!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepe_EAF51 View Post
Well, the standard out of spin procedure is:

P...Power- idle
A...Aileron-neutral
R...Rudder-opposite rotation
E...Elevator-forward to break the stalled condition
All this is done simultaneously.

PARE being the mnemonic.

Nice video, thank you Freycinet. I would have added trim usage (especially in that climb to hold 160 mph) and more attention to the ball. All in all, a great help, thx for your work.
Rudder opposite rotation? - Hmm... I seem to remember that it should be into the rotation for the Spit.

I thought about setting the trim in the video too, but decided against it. This vid is meant as a VERY basic tutorial, so I had to cut out some things (also setting the compass). But maybe I should have left in trim settings instead of the gunsight settings... Oh well.

I do notice that I fly a bit out of trim. Well spotted!

Last edited by Freycinet; 02-04-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupsised View Post
EDIT: And Nepe essentially confirms that, so I'll go with that way from now on. Thanks both!
Well, no. He says it should be rudder OPPOSITE rotation.

But thanks for testing. So, pretty convincing proof that rudder INTO rotation is faster.

Would very much like to know what official doc's say...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Approved Member

BTW, I seem to remember that I read rudder into spin in some official text, but now I can't recall the reference..