Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Approved Member

I think the shots make one thing pretty obvious: The used mesh is unable to compete with real modeling.

Just look at the grand canyon (I guess that's what it's supposed to be). In reality he canyon drops almost 90° from the rim (sometimes even more!). In the screenshot it looks like an normal steeper valley. Same for the actual river-bed of the Colorado-River. It's a very narrow deep canyon for long distances. This is completely missing.

Also check out the rivers in Shot4. They are evenly wide from the spring to the point where they end in the ocean.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
IL-2:CoD only real competition today is IL-2 1946.

Simple as that. And as I said in other topic, I don't care of the great terrain at 3km alt, but when I'm chasing an 109 at deck or in a dive bomb over some armour column. Nothing today comes close to IL-2 1946 in these points.
+1 on your motivation, even though I guess Oleg is happy they don't put a new team on doing a new CFS4 from the ground up with their budget...
Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazex View Post
+1 on your motivation, even though I guess Oleg is happy they don't put a new team on doing a new CFS4 from the ground up with their budget...
I don't know... even with the big budget M$ never can make a decent graphic engine to FS series... I never like this aspect of M$FS series.

Maybe if M$ hire Maddox team...
Old 01-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

That's what MSFS is all about though... being up at altitude. Everything is geared for being an airliner pilot, not mudmoving.
They could make great terrain if they wanted... sadly though, for the reasons mentioned before, it doesn't seem in the sim purchasers' interests to do that.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

S!

Sharp, that F18 thing was nice, but it is harder to make a realistic sim of modern jets as much of the information on the planes is restricted or classified. No sim for sure uses real radar data or frequencies etc. Also the procedures in many of them are off etc. But nevertheless give a nice view to what it can be to operate a modern jet

Regarding WW2 planes they are easier as nothing is classified on them anymore and such. Only thing is how to obtain all the data as much of it is lost, for reason or another. There are books for sure, but many just repeat common things heard over the years and very few really critically look into things and dig up new data.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

I want to bag a 747 with that F-18 and listen to the shock and wailing on the ATC comms channel.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazex View Post
They tried this already with CFS3 and lost miserably to IL-2. I would like to see Microsoft do a quality WW2 combat flight sim, but I'm not holding my breath, as the bean counters either get in the way or they're developers lack enough talent.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
I want to bag a 747 with that F-18 and listen to the shock and wailing on the ATC comms channel.

careful, you never know who might be listening on the internet

big brother is watching you!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Approved Member

The more sims the better for us. I have most of them and most are fun.
One warning tho. Don't get your hopes high on MS promo screenshots!!!!!
Wait for the game. Any of you remember the difference between MS FSX DX10 promo screens and the actual game.?

FSX became a nice game, but it took a few generations of hardware, and a whole bunch of addons to make it run decent and look good.

Last edited by Jaws2002; 01-30-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Approved Member

I hope MS has learned their lesson after all the turmoil created with the faked FSX DX10 screenshots. FSX with a couple of third party add ons can looks almost as good the new Flight screenshots, so I expect that they are real this time. Some in the community already expressed their disappointment that the progress in visuals between Flight and FSX won't be as big as they anticipated.