Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fulqrum PublishingGames > 7,62

7,62 Tactical action game, sequel to Brigade E5

Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Approved Member

MoreDread
I'm not so tired today and think I understand your suggestions better. Are you thinking of having the dialog screen stay at the same page after a point has been spent? That could easily be done I think, unless it's one of those shared ones from the starting dialogs. i'll look into it.

Kyle
If you had been there a little earlier we would've met, I think I logged out around that time. I only have 2 more days of double shifts, then I'll have more time to spend online and wont have to hit the sack so early.

I've moved some quests around, the Koan quests has been moved to Crazy Bob so that they aren't that important anymore. I think i'll start on the new missions this weekend, I now have a lot of new maps to use for them. I think the chat will be very helpful in their development, Dodger and I made some pretty good ones that way. I hope y'all will help out with the process.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Approved Member

yea thats pretty much what i meant...

i just tried to come up with an idea that would be a little more user friendly and at the same time at least put some delay on the ctd thats caused by cluttering the conversation window.

its true that when playing without the cheat you probably won't make it happen during normal gameplay. but some people like to save their points for later and with a max of 300 points it could happen. also theres the 'character creation' where you could theoretically move an infinte amount of points around.

thats why i added that only the skill you are currently raising/lowering should be updated with the new value and shown, and not the entire skill list.

for example: ( '<' is the question '>' are your choices and '->' is the one you pick)

< you have 0 parameter points and 0 skill points what kind of statistic would you like to change?

> parameters
> skills
> nothing, i'm done with the character creation process.

-> parameters

-------

< physical or mental parameters?

> physical
> mental
> back

-> physical

-------

< which parameter would you like to change?

> HP: 100
> energy: 100
> strength : 80
> agility: 70
> dexterity: 50
> stamina: 80

-> stamina

-------

< your current stamina is: 80, you have 0 points left to spend on parameters

> raise
> decrement
> back

-> decrement

-------

< your current stamina is: 79, you have 1 point left to spend on parameters

-> decrement

-------

< your current stamina is: 78, you have 2 point left to spend on parameters
etc.

-------

that way you wouldn't have to display the list of parameters for every single point you add/remove and you could more easily adjust a character to your personal needs without getting a ctd (as it is now, i'm crashing after removing and then adding 30-50 points)
also note that i put the list of the parameters only in the players response, marked by '>' and not the actual conversation window.
that should also reduce the cluttering of the window quite a bit, as only the one you pick gets printed to it.
now i don't know if you can actually show the value of the players statistics in the response. if this is possible then i think it would be the most effective way to do it. if not you might still do it that way, but include the choice to have your stats printed to the conversation window...

< which parameter would you like to change?

> HP
> energy
> strength
> agility
> dexterity
> stamina
> show current parameters

also i have divided the parameters into physical and mental because as we know, you can't fit them all into the same dialog, and this would allow making a somewhat informed choice without having to look at the first half of it, and then have 'more' as a response to see the other half, i just pulled physical/mental out of my a$5 ... you could use class/nonclass or something else, whatever you prefer. the main idea is that you don't have to view the whole list upfront to make your choice.

on a sidenote: i didn't have much luck in getting the model exported yet... i have spent some time making a new one from scratch with less polies on it to rule out the fact that a too high poly count may be causing the crashes. i should be able to finish it and try again tomorrow.

Last edited by MoreDread; 07-21-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Approved Member

Once again, the character creation process does not cause a CTD, you can increase/decrease it as much as you like and nothing bad will happen. You might notice a small flicker of the dialog window when you press the Parameter you wanna increase/decrease, that happens because I made the dialog process shut down and then open up again. I just tested it again, lowering my Energy to 10, it left me 90 points to spend. I put those on the Health, all in one go. No CTD. I had more than 180 dialog screens without any problems. And there isn't that much clutter in the dialogs, it just prints how many points you have left to spend. I think the way it's set up now is the system with the least amount of clicking and browsing that the engine limitations permits, and that's my goal, I hate too much clicking btw, are you using the lastest version(v6)?

The level up system is something completely different, and implementing a similar shut down/open up process is much more complicated. I might be able to do it, but since the CTD threshold is around 25 points, I've felt that it wouldn't be necessary. But if I can figure out a simple way to do it, I will, promise

EDIT:
The shutdown/ open up process uses the PrintGreetings() phrase, it was the only way I could get the dialog to start up again properly. As it is now it's used by the creation process, but I guess i could put an "if" function on it to send the player to the right dialog screen. That would mean I could implement a similar system for the level up system without too much of a hassle, I'll see if I have enough energy to do that when I get home tonight.

EDIT again:
Here's the latest source code files. It's only for MoreDread since he's the only one using the Reloaded maps addon:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qkr6mv5k4dv89p3
Just put the files in your \7.62\Quests\RAS\ folder.

Last edited by R@S; 07-22-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Approved Member

cool, i'll check it out right away.

should we chat again this weekend? i've got enough time now, but i might not be around on the next 3. i'll be hangin around in there for as long as i'm awake today, too.

btw.. i still haven't figured out a way to export the model, but it's mainly because i got sidetracked working on a high poly model of the gun.

this has almost no relevance to 7.62 modding.. well it might help me create some better textures for the gun if you could help me with figuring out the polygon limit of the engine.

i literally spent the whole of my free day working on it.. and i'm quite happy with the result, so since i didn't have any success with the export, let me at least post some pictures of the hi poly version.

and while searching for references, i stumbled across this website...
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...1-carbine-kit/

people are crazy

Last edited by MoreDread; 07-24-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

MoreDread,

Those models look GREAT! Am I happy that you're onboard!

And the link to the HERA 1911...we have to get one of those in-game. It's too crazy to avoid!

Had a hard day today. I finally finished the porch, but there are two doors covered in flaking lead paint. I got them primed, but what I never thought about was the door frames which extend beyond the door's thickness both on the outside and inside. I'm not shelling out more money to test those areas, so I'm just going to assume that they were painted when the doors were painted (the frames aren't as flaky as the doors so the paint job looks newer), and I'll have to address them too. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so...

Good night, and keep up the great looking work!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Approved Member

I'll be available at the chat all weekend, and the coming week as well since I have 12 days vacation, HURRAY!

I've made some changes to the number of kills needed to reach the next levels, I think that I actually never killed more than 3000 before I finished the game. As it is now, 8000 kills are needed for level 100, and the first 25 levels can be reached after 50 kills each. I was thinking of changing the next 25 levels to 75 kills and then the last 50 levels at 100 kills.

The new testing base files are now uploaded, but since you two already have a working version you can use that until you decide it's time for a clean install again. I plan to make at least one new mission this weekend, and if you have time to help me test it I'd be grateful. You know where to reach me.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Approved Member

While fixing the "DisableCapturing" setting in the OutsourcedConfig.ini I discovered that I could actually fix the already existing AI. It would be much simpler than rewriting it from scratch and I think the economic system already in place can be tweaked to a satisfactory level.

All I have to do is add a few sector heads to the maps that doesn't have them, there are 5 of them in the vanilla game, then make 6 new ones for the Rekoaded maps. I'll do that this weekend, it wont take much time.

MoreDread and Kyle, I've sent you the latest files, I made a few new missions and tweaked the class system as I mentioned earlier. If you have time we'll chat about it later.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Approved Member

Unhappy Campaign update coming...why I'm absent...

I'm sorry for my absence and lack of testing.

Tested the basement's floor for lead paint, and...

Of COURSE it's COVERED in it!

We're tapped out financially, so I'm not going to be able to paint the whole thing by the end of this summer. I decided instead to clean/paint a path to our small freezer and then the steps that lead out to the backyard. These are easily the most heavily trafficked areas down there, so they have to be addressed, or otherwise we'll be tracking that stuff upstairs to where the kids are.

I am so SORE from being stooped over all day every day! Can't feel either of my hands from the wrists-down, due to leaning on them all of the time.

Sorry for venting, but this is a nightmare for me. I never imagined a day where one's home is one's own worst enemy, and yet here I am anyway.

--------

It's been hard to keyboard anything, but over the past several days I've been making updates to the original campaign proposal. I'm fleshing it out so that it makes more sense, has a structure that's grounded more firmly in military doctrine, and the like. Double-checking stuff with some valuable sources to ensure as much immersion as possible.

I'm also making it easier for anyone to read it and instantly go, "Oh yeah, that makes sense..." programming-wise by color coding things.

I'm hoping to be done with it by tomorrow evening.

We'll see.

I'd be testing, except that my hands are so shot that I'm stuck with either choosing to flesh out vital campaign points or test out the latest build. I badly want to do both, but the numbness gets insurmountable after about 45 minutes, which is very little time to thoroughly test (and then I have to write up my report), but is enough time to get some solid writing done.

Gotta go and apply my time before it's gone!

Last edited by Kyle; 07-26-2010 at 03:33 AM.