Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

View Poll Results: Do you recommend a 27" or 24" LED 1920X1080 monitor
27" 29 55.77%
24" 16 30.77%
Other, which I will explain in a post in the thread. 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Approved Member

If you are planing yourself for a new rig, I would go for a 24 inc screen, prepaired for 3D. That way you have the option to go there, if its something for you.

When my last screen died on my after good service, I bought an Acer 24 120 HTZ. And I have not regretted a second. The pictures are crystal clear and I have plans for a 3D kit, if reports about it are good.

But when it comes to the end, its a matter of taste. And that was my 2 penny.

Hope you find a great one.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Approved Member

For a laugh I hooked up my computer to my 42" TV yesterday.CoD looks brilliant at that size!
Unfortunately my wife would get a bit upset if I kept it like that, but I am going to replace my 22" samsung monitor with a 32" TV now...
Probably not as good a picture as a dedicated monitor, but with my eyesight I can't tell much difference, and for me size does matter!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Approved Member

Ideally
IPS for great colors (much-much better than TN ones)
120Hz and Stereoscopic-3D support
27inch or more for immersion (but make sure your videocard can handle the resolution)

I remember a thread about 120Hz setereoscopic-3d $800 projector which can be an option.

ps. Not sure if LEDs still use IPS/TN technology though.

Last edited by Ataros; 09-27-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

You should concern yourself less with the size of the monitor and more with its respective rezolution and features. A 1080p monitor does not look good at 27". Consider the ceiling for that at 24". Anything above that should be a higher rezolution. Also, consider how far from the monitor you will be and how powerful your computer is. Running CloD on anything above 1080p requires very significant hardware unless you lower the rezolution. Ther other thing to consider is the panel type itself. There is twisted nematic (tn), pva and cpva, and IPS (in plane switching). IPS is generally regarded as the best for its mix of high response rate, high color accuracy and viewing angles. TN has the fastest response rates but terrible colors and viewing angles. IPS panels come in around 8 to 5ms response rates and have incredible colors. CPVA panels have about the same color quality as IPS, sometiems better, but inferoir viewing angles and horrible response rates. I currently run a dell IPS panel that while technically rated at 8ms is closer to 5ms for most colors and would never look back at a TN monitor. The so called ghosting at that response rate on these monitors is simply not significant enough to justify a TN when the color accuracy is so good on an IPS panel. Usually its overlooked but once you start to use one you see colors and details you would never otherwise notice and the overall effect is more profound. A good IPS panel at 23" can be had from asus for about $230 and from dell for about $300. They are more expensive than the average TN but the average TN isnt really very good, and higher performance TN monitors usually end up costing about as much. Just my take on this, hope it helps.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

I have a 27" monitor which has a native res of 2560x1440 but i play clod in 1920x1080. It looks fine and when AA is sorted out will be even better.

I vote 27" !!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

Why do monitors jump from 1920 * x to 2650 * x?

Currently you can get a 1920 * 1080 from about £120, but the cheapest 2560 * 1440 (16:9, I'd rather have 4:3) is about £650. I want to see some 2200 - 2300 * x monitors, if the quality was okay I'd buy one today, I'm currently using 1600 * 1200, 1920 * 1080 would be a downgrade and 1920 * 1200 isn't enough of an upgrade to be worth the price.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakaddict View Post
You should concern yourself less with the size of the monitor and more with its respective rezolution and features. A 1080p monitor does not look good at 27". Consider the ceiling for that at 24". Anything above that should be a higher rezolution. Also, consider how far from the monitor you will be and how powerful your computer is. Running CloD on anything above 1080p requires very significant hardware unless you lower the rezolution. Ther other thing to consider is the panel type itself. There is twisted nematic (tn), pva and cpva, and IPS (in plane switching). IPS is generally regarded as the best for its mix of high response rate, high color accuracy and viewing angles. TN has the fastest response rates but terrible colors and viewing angles. IPS panels come in around 8 to 5ms response rates and have incredible colors. CPVA panels have about the same color quality as IPS, sometiems better, but inferoir viewing angles and horrible response rates. I currently run a dell IPS panel that while technically rated at 8ms is closer to 5ms for most colors and would never look back at a TN monitor. The so called ghosting at that response rate on these monitors is simply not significant enough to justify a TN when the color accuracy is so good on an IPS panel. Usually its overlooked but once you start to use one you see colors and details you would never otherwise notice and the overall effect is more profound. A good IPS panel at 23" can be had from asus for about $230 and from dell for about $300. They are more expensive than the average TN but the average TN isnt really very good, and higher performance TN monitors usually end up costing about as much. Just my take on this, hope it helps.
If you are purely a simmer, i too recommend a IPS panel, but if you are into other games as well, an IPS´s respond time + the lag that occurs until the picture is actually shown on screen, can be a disadvantage. In that case, better stick to a TN panel or better yet, use a CRT .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Banks View Post
The devs need to continue to tweak the FM balance until there is equal amount of whining from both sides.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakaddict View Post
Seconded. With one minor remark: ~8 ms response is nonsense and factory values should be neglected when discussing response times. Read a few reviews (tftcentral.co.uk or prad.de) and observe some real testing and comparisons.

With that in mind I can not recommend enough, from price and quality perspective, by far the best bang for the back monitor today: Dell U2412M.

With todays hardware and CloD in mind, you will want to avoid anything higher than 1920x1200 resolution.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 09-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

I have a 42" Vizio 1920x1080 120hrz about 4-5 ' in front of me that, I think, works great. With a set on headphones on, and IR5, I get immersed pretty quickly.

binky9
Intel i7 3.4ghz Processor
GTX 780 Graphics Card OC
24GB Ram
Track IR5
50" LG HDMI LED 1920x1080 60hrz
MS FFB2 Stick
CH Pedals
Saitek Throttle/Prop/Mixture and Trim wheel
Thrustmaster MFDs

League City, TX
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

Do not give up the 1200 height. 1920x1080 look like a damn' pillbox slot.

Cheers,
Insuber