Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Default Problem(s) with Shooting/Returning Fire Controls

Hello, I recently bought Men of War and I've been playing through the campaign. I've been having some slight problems though with the units I am individually or group controlling, returning fire or shooting at targets. For example, if I select one person or a group of soldiers and left click on the enemy to attack, they charged forward and throw grenades and usually die being out in the open. If I leave them in cover and set their option to Fire At Will or Return fire, they just sit behind cover and do not return or cover the area with fire. The only way I can I can have these soldiers fire at an area is to enter the Direct Fire mode(Standard Button "End")

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodx0r View Post
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
no, thats not normal.

...but possible you fight with SMGs against rifles? rifles have bigger range and SMGs dont fire back when enemy is outside range. soldiers controlled by game are "stupid".

i use the hotkeys F1 - F7 for attack (only multiplayer - dont play singleplayer)
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SOE]No.Mam View Post
no, thats not normal.

...but possible you fight with SMGs against rifles? rifles have bigger range and SMGs dont fire back when enemy is outside range. soldiers controlled by game are "stupid".

i use the hotkeys F1 - F7 for attack (only multiplayer - dont play singleplayer)
It's happening for all weapons. It's really disrupting my gameplay, since it's killing many of my guys, since I am not able to return fire or left click on someone to fire at them.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Approved Member

Lolz, there isnt really a solution to the idiotic guys not returning Fire. I cant ever seem to get them to just shoot either. Time and again my enemy has been firing at my guys, my guys clearly can see the target yet will run up closer to the target and die in the process. Or else they will just not return fire at all. I just put my guys on Hold Move/Fire at Will and sit them somewhere and let them do as they will. If you face guys who are on the backsides of or inside buildings dont try to order a guy to shoot him, your guy will run in, do the jig, Smoke a Cigar, make love to his weapon...anything but shoot the target and get then he'll just get popped....so Just Nade Buildings...its easier. In Direct Control Mode you can cook a Nade so you can time it to throw it over and into buildings. You go into DC, Select the Nade, Hold down your fire button and look at the little red reticule...when it gets to a good time, throw it. When Men lay down they throw nades waaaaayy slower so do it standing or kneeling.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

A bit of shame. I guess I will have to struggle getting through the single player. I mainly bought it for that, since I have no intentions on playing the multiplayer.

If you go to around the 4:00 mark, he is able to put his soldiers in cover and they automatically start returning fire. Even with the option Fire At Will/Return Fire, my guys did not fire upon them when I did that mission.

Last edited by floodx0r; 07-27-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Approved Member

Ive sincethen edited almost all my gun ranges and soldier sight lines and ranges and that problem of not firing back is mostly gone, atleast they fire back some of the time. My guess is that in the base game ranges and sight lines are so short men dont fire back. In the Gun Files there is under the range setting for guns: Aim Range and Range. Aim Range is the distance in which men will fire back on thier own. I can tell you for sure that the Aim Range on most guns is like 15 or something short so thats why men dont fire back. Now the awnser hits me. Its the Aim Range on the weapons the reason your men dont fire back. Aim Range 15 means the enemy has to be 15away and thats practically like kissing your men before your guys fire on thier own. I have since given my troop weapons aim ranges equal to the guns actual range that problem went away mostly. Aim Range 50
Range 50....figure out how to make a mod and edit your game files and fix that problem. Editing is fun =D
Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Approved Member

Hang in there. I only play SP, and have had so many hours of fun playing this game. Sure it can be frustrating but it's sooo worth it. You really have to think when you play this game, which wasn't my normal way of playing. Save alot, and slow the game down (backspace). Use the Editor to play thru the harder missions to figure stuff out or to add in more Tanks for some payback. When you need a break from this game try and find SHoWW2 and FoW. Two more games to push those buttons.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Approved Member

I've just redoing the missions and I've noticed that you pretty much have to tell your troops to open fire all the time. They just don't seem to notice the enemy within range. I've not noticed them not returning fire though.

You really are missing out on a great side of the game in MP though, but I can understand why some people don't want to try out MP though as you will get your butt kicked for quite some time and patching up the game is over complicated, but hey at least you don't have to spend two days downloading the patches as with CoH

Last edited by Parkaboy; 07-28-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: missed out some stuff init
Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkaboy View Post
I've just redoing the missions and I've noticed that you pretty much have to tell your troops to open fire all the time. They just don't seem to notice the enemy within range.
That is b/c of the Weapon's Aim Range. Aim Range is I guess basically the engagement range that the soldier will actually fire on his own. Your men are firing on their own prolly b/c they got shot and when they get shot they return fire but they dont fire back first...If your guns range was 50 and had an Aim Range of 50 and someone actually had eyes on a target at 50 away then your men would start shooting on thier own at 50. But atm its like 35 range and 22 aim range for most the weapons or something like that i think
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Approved Member

it doesnt make sense to shoot the enemy on max distance if you know you have no chance to hit him. Or at least less. You just waste amunition. This is pretty good in MP as tanks shoot the target when its close enough to penetrate it. You might be able to shoot the tank, but you will not penetrate it. This is changed when the target is under fire eventually. But thats understandable.

I think the AI for most units works somewhat logic. I mean if they are under fire they return it. But if the enemy is to far away they will wait till he gets closer so they have a better chance to take him out and dont away their position to soon.

If you keep that in mind the AI can work very effeiciently. Its all about the micromanagement.

Of course there are the typical bugs as you would see in every game. Troops which dont fire. Or dont move. Or what ever. Its anoying. But it doesnt happen that often. Only when you have enemy inside buildings. It seems thats a huge issue. But I realised that in such situations you simply bomb the building or burn it to the ground. Problem solved.