Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Is it just me or is there not a huge DUHHH to be placed in here somewhere.. Some of you people act as if IL2 is dead..
If you have ever played, built missions, or seen the limitations placed on ROF because of it's engine, you would realize IL2 is dead after this announcement.

As I've already said, if they can't fix the limitations in 4 years on their current game engine. How do you magically believe they are gonna fix it and build a WWII sim (in reality take 2 years to model a map and WWII planes and slap them on the ROF engine)?

It's pretty obvious. Heck it's even coming out in DX9. They should of released what they had for BoM and the SDK and let the players figure it out.

Duh is exactly right.

And when the only Maddox team members they kept were the modelers (not the programmers) that should be your 1st hint.

ATAG Forums + Stats
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Approved Member

I wouldn't get too worried yet. Making the new sim is a very good opportunity to get in there and address those current limitations of the DN engine. This could well be very good for both titles.

On topic, no mention was made of Luthier in the announcements. Is he still working for 1c, or are the earlier rumors about him departing actually true?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
I wouldn't get too worried yet. Making the new sim is a very good opportunity to get in there and address those current limitations of the DN engine. This could well be very good for both titles.
:
Good Point Feathered.

A year is a very long time in the Sim Development. What ever the out come, it will sure be an interesting ride.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Approved Member

Thanks Oleg and Luthier--wherever you are.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
That's my point.. way too early to start crying in the beer for sure.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 AM
Approved Member

yeah, a big thanks to

Luthier and team for keeping it going this long . . . and to Oleg also for starting it up

Even though I joked about ROF, I feel this is the catalyst to return IL 2 successor(s) back to awesomeness. Only time will tell how great the new series will be. At last 777 dedication to ROF and the new IL-2 iteration will prove to be a winner.

Last edited by hiro; 12-12-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Approved Member

I agree. WAY too soon to judge how this will go.

So Rise of Flight has tons of limitations! I won't argue with that and will, instead, defer to those on here who have tried to run ROF servers, script missions etc.

That said.. we are not talking about IL2, the new and thrilling WW2 addon for Rise of Flight! We are seeing the emergence of a new IL2 game coming out on a souped up rendition of the same engine as Rise of Flight! We don't know what additions will be made to this engine... we don't know what graphical changes will be made over the coming year... sure.. we know there won't be clickable cockpits and that has pissed me off a tiny bit but I'm sure I can get over it.

We just don't know enough to rubbish the idea just yet!

Case in point: Look how many varied games are released using.. I dunno... the Unreal Engine! Are all those games the same? Not at all. They are all made using the same engine though!

Just because you can't do certain things in Rise of Flight..... it is way too early to assume that those things can't be done with the engine it is built upon.

I'm no programmer but, correct me if I am wrong here.... the engine is the maths behind a game. If you don't like textures in ROF... it could be different textures. Don't like the flight models? They can be changed and, let's face it, they have to be as the flight physics of WWI biplanes and WW2 single prop aircraft are different.... like anything mathematical, it can be added to and it can be subtracted from. See what happens.

Last edited by Volksieg; 12-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
+1

Thanks luthier and team for trying as hard as you did under non-optimal circumstance and working with a non-optimal piece of software. The sweat of your brow does not go unnoticed. I wish you all the best in the future and I DO hope to see you involved in future flightsim titles and hopefully that mysterious Korea sim we've heard about. A high-fidelity Korea sim would be absolutely awesome *insert humble "shut up and take my money!" here*.
+1

Luthier, the years of work you put into the series is not unnoticed or unappreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
That's my point.. way too early to start crying in the beer for sure.
Nope, this is the time to cry in your beer. The CloD engine with it's magnificently detailed ground targets is gone. All the future stuff we've been drooling over is gone. I was more enamored with the sims potential than what we actually have right now. The new program is not going to be mergeable with CloD. There were still a lot of little things that needed to be fixed. This was going to be accomplished with BoM this spring or summer but that's now off the table.

I don't know about you Bearcat, but I've been looking forward to CloD since 2006. Built two computers specifically for it and have a bit of a foul taste in my mouth of how this all played out. I was looking forward to the new series and a better GUI. Really hoped to have a GUI like Il2-1946 with the ability to set up quick missions on the fly. Like you said, the King is dead. let's give him his due respect.

Thanks Luthier for the 300 plus hours of enjoyment I had with CloD.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 AM
Approved Member

This simulator series has made this boring guys life 100% less boring and that 100% true For a WWII fighter aircraft nut who has always wanted to fly it came along just at the right time. Thank you everyone at 1c especially Oleg and Ilya.