Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Approved Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
OK, Hunden just cracked me lol. My sick sense of humor I guess.

As someone else mentioned, trying to get horse animations right would be a serious development and maybe frame rate issue.

I have no problem with shooting at another simulated pilot because I figure he strapped on his simulated plane the same way I did . But in my own game, I would draw a line before shooting horses. Humans tend to bring their troubles on themselves or at least have choices. Animals, not so much. I didn't even like shooting the dogs in the original Wolfenstein lol.

That's why I don't hunt. I will eat anything YOU kill and I know where the meat from my grocery store comes from, I just don't want to be the one pulling the trigger on an animal. But a human breaking into my house is in serious trouble .

Now where did I put my skirt.....

Splitter
I'm with you on that I don't hunt either. But if I had to I would. I just like getting a rise out of some people.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Approved Member

Default 'At their own risk and peril'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
While were at it why don't we include some ambulances and red cross vehicles and railway carriages. There should be some no-shoot objects in the game. They could be set up to give negative points and court martials in our mission debriefings.

Also give you that nasty sinking feeling when you missidentify your target.

Cheers!

During the early part of the war, the Seenotdienst was inaugurated by the Germans to rescue airmen downed over the sea, using Heinkel He 59. These aircraft were painted white and adorned with numerous red crosses, could carried armaments and were observed carrying out reconnaissance tasks. The British government duly gave warning in a communiqué of 14 July 1940 that such planes would be considered legitimate targets.

Quote:

Enemy aircraft bearing civil markings and marked with the Red Cross have recently flown over British ships at sea and in the vicinity of the British coast, and they are being employed for purposes which His Majesty's Governement cannot regard as being consistent with the privileges generally accorded to the Red Cross.
His Majesty's Government desire to accord to ambulance aircraft reasonable facilities for the transportation of the sick and wounded, in accordance with the Red Cross Convention, and aircraft engaged in the direct evacuation of the sick and wounded will be respected, provided that they comply with the revelant provisions of the Convention.
His Majesty's Government are unable, however, to grant immunity to such aircraft flying over areas in which operations are in progress on land or at sea, or approaching British or Allied territory, or territory in British occupation, or British or Allied ships.
Ambulance aircraft which do not comply with the above requirements will do so at their own risk and peril.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunden View Post
I'm not asking for chainsaws or anything else that wasn't part of WW2. I'm simply saying if the game developers are trying to create an emersive WW2 sim why not make it an option to turn down the gore. By the way War is gory.
oh noes .. you mean the Nazi zombies with chainsaws were not real ???

btw .. the adjustable gore feature was implemented in the very first IL2 game but was never really that popular .. it only worked on a few aircraft like the original Emil, basically spraying blood all over the cockpit glass when viewed in external view.

I am not even sure if it still works in IL2_1946 it could well be disabled.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Approved Member

I'm for horses. European horse stocks were almost entirely wiped out through use as pack animals (or food towards the end of the war). This element of the destruction shouldn't be overlooked.

Something for the modding community once the SDK is out, I should think.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Approved Member

I'd say that perhaps we should include horses in SoW - if not in BoB then in whichever upgrade represents the final stages of the European war. Pilots on the axis side (purely in the interests of realism) will be obliged to eat them. Along with dead dogs, and the occasional rat if they get lucky...
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Approved Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
oh noes .. you mean the Nazi zombies with chainsaws were not real ???

btw .. the adjustable gore feature was implemented in the very first IL2 game but was never really that popular .. it only worked on a few aircraft like the original Emil, basically spraying blood all over the cockpit glass when viewed in external view.

I am not even sure if it still works in IL2_1946 it could well be disabled.
LOL, I had no idea you were fighting off these urges, I'll leave you alone now LMAO
Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolphe View Post

During the early part of the war, the Seenotdienst was inaugurated by the Germans to rescue airmen downed over the sea, using Heinkel He 59. These aircraft were painted white and adorned with numerous red crosses, could carried armaments and were observed carrying out reconnaissance tasks. The British government duly gave warning in a communiqué of 14 July 1940 that such planes would be considered legitimate targets.

Yes, As shown with their naval raiders like the Kormoran, Germany was not adverse to disguising military missions in civilian colours. (As I am sure the British did as well)

At least the British gave a clear warning that aircraft acting outside the guidelines stated
in the Red Cross Convention would be considered hostile and treated as such.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 09-01-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
OK, Hunden just cracked me lol. My sick sense of humor I guess.

As someone else mentioned, trying to get horse animations right would be a serious development and maybe frame rate issue.

I have no problem with shooting at another simulated pilot because I figure he strapped on his simulated plane the same way I did . But in my own game, I would draw a line before shooting horses. Humans tend to bring their troubles on themselves or at least have choices. Animals, not so much. I didn't even like shooting the dogs in the original Wolfenstein lol.

That's why I don't hunt. I will eat anything YOU kill and I know where the meat from my grocery store comes from, I just don't want to be the one pulling the trigger on an animal. But a human breaking into my house is in serious trouble .

Now where did I put my skirt.....

Splitter
Would it really be hard to animate horses? Mount & Blade managed it and that's made by a team of two. Wouldn't need to be magnificently detailed (or maybe it would, to match the magnificent close-up detailing of the other ground vehicles). X-Plane's managed to have huge flocks of seagulls to fly into (another source of catharsis, even if it fatally breaks my aircraft most of the time) all rendered in 3d without frame issues.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer_EAF19 View Post
Would it really be hard to animate horses? Mount & Blade managed it and that's made by a team of two. Wouldn't need to be magnificently detailed (or maybe it would, to match the magnificent close-up detailing of the other ground vehicles). X-Plane's managed to have huge flocks of seagulls to fly into (another source of catharsis, even if it fatally breaks my aircraft most of the time) all rendered in 3d without frame issues.
Aw, man, don't talk to me about X-Plane birds! I counted and one time got THREE bird strikes in 10 missions lol. Once at altitude in a Baron that took out the port engine. Then there are the deer that run across the runway...have you noticed how they ALL look at you and seem to be laughing? (at least you can't actually hit the deer).

I'm no programmer, but from what I understand a good, detailed horse would be hard to portray with minimal resources. Plus I think most horses have four different gaits and some north European breeds have five (don't ask me why I know this stuff....maybe it is five and six). With the team's attention to detail, I could see a four month delay to get the horses just right lol.

BTW, I DO get a frame rate hit with X-Plane and birds/deer. I have a decent video card but only a so-so processor.

I would still feel bad having to shoot horses....I might just try to shoot the teamsters....

Splitter
Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

I'm no programmer, but from what I understand a good, detailed horse would be hard to portray with minimal resources. Plus I think most horses have four different gaits and some north European breeds have five (don't ask me why I know this stuff....maybe it is five and six).
Poster 1: "The German horses in SOW are under-modeled, they move too slowly."

Poster 2: "Rubbish they are fine where is your evidence."

Poster 1: "German breeds were known for sturdiness and had 5 different gaits, here is a link ... ".

Poster 2: "Wikipedia does not count as evidence they make it up as they go along, and anyway the Wehrmacht horses were not the good breeds and were half starved."

Poster 1: "Rubbish here is a report from an SS Artillery Officer comparing Soviet and German transport horses in 1943 ... "

Poster 3: "Actually its not the gait that matters its the nature of the tack and rigging and US Army horses were far fitter and better suited than either."

Poster 1: "Not for European conditions they weren't, German horses excelled in cold climates."

Poster 2: "You made that up troll ... plus the Nazi's mistreated horses everyone knows that .. "

Poster 1: "Your mum smells like a Troll and so does your face ... "

Poster 1: "Fascist ... "

Poster 3: "Your all commo hippies ... "