Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Approved Member

Default Dead AI Gunners Tracer Arcs

Brian Kingcome (RAF Spitfire Pilot, 92 Sqdn) wrote that often one of the first indications that his bullets were hitting home was that the tracer arc from a bomber's rear gunner suddenly arced skywards. This was caused by the dead gunner slumping on his gun.

Might this be added to SoW? Should be fairly simple to simulate and, I feel, would add to the immersion of the game.

PPanPan

Last edited by PeterPanPan; 08-29-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

Could be a nice touch.

I'd like the crew to be killable and also to suffer the effects of g. Bf-110 rear gunners regularly passed out or were unable to fire due to +/- g.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Approved Member

+1 to that.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

Terrific suggestion. Maybe they've already thought of it, but great point.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Approved Member

Also, for them to have difficulty, maybe, in exciting the plane. i.e seeing a chaps legs sticking out of the hatch because he had difficulty in exciting...(not from a morbid point of view, but war is hell and these things happened. I ask as this shouldn't be a sim for children; this is war)
Old 08-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Two excellent suggestions posted here. The gunner shooting going erratic and the possibility of being unable to smoothly exit a plane when bailing out.

Here are three more:

1. Being struck by the elevators or stabilizer of own aircraft when exiting plane (and to avoid complications, it leading to them just being knocked out and tumbling down like a ragdoll - no parachute deployment).

2. Parachutes that do not work.

3. Deployed parachute getting stuck in part (usually tail section) of own airplane - the person being pulled along with the plane.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

I wonder if they will show the other crewmen getting riddled by bullets inside the cockpit of the He-111, Ju-88, Blenheim etc. Kind of gruesome but it would make the game a bit more realistic.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for all your further suggestions. However, could I prevail on you all not to turn this into another "let's see how many gruesome things can happen to aircrew" thread?! I think Oleg has made it quite clear that he won't be adding this sort of thing. Also, the thoughts on bailing out issues (which would all be superb additions) have been raised before in this forum.

Really, my point was that something very simple like a sudden change in tracer arc can suggest what is going on inside the attacked aircraft perhaps more vividly than 'in your face' gore. This is certainly the effect it had on Brian Kingcome. This functionality would be useful for attacking pilots and add to immersion of the game without the need for gore which Oleg is unlikely to entertain.

PPanPan
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Approved Member

If you want to go really gory ,you could always have ground crew being hit by the props,or blown to pieces if the plane/bombs explode.
I wondered if you did crash land whether they could get a sequence from your viewpoint being carried on a stretcher into an ambulance.
It could happen but not really top of the list,after all FP Shooters can get abit graphic.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Approved Member

Thought(debate) provoking thread!!!