Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Approved Member

Default We need a subforum...

... for all the tedious postings speculating about when SoW:BoB will be released, what Oleg said about when it will be released, and who said what about what Oleg said about when it would be released. This should keep the obsessives happy, and leave the main forum free for topics of interest to the rest of us.

What do others think (about the subforum, NOT about when SoW:BoB will be released)?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Personally, I think more moderators are needed to keep this forum under control. nearmiss does a very good job, but one person can only do so much.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
... for all the tedious postings speculating about when SoW:BoB will be released, what Oleg said about when it will be released, and who said what about what Oleg said about when it would be released. This should keep the obsessives happy, and leave the main forum free for topics of interest to the rest of us.

What do others think (about the subforum, NOT about when SoW:BoB will be released)?
I agree. Good idea. Maybe we could have a weekly subforum (edit: think I'm really talking about a thread here) 'shadowing' the official update thread - ie the official update is kept completely for posts on what we see in the pics / video and EVERYTHING else, including the inevitable speculation and going off at tangents is posted in the shadow (and rigorously enforced by the moderator!!)

So, the Oleg update thread would allow ONLY: our reactions to what Oleg posts and questions to oleg based directly on what we see that week.

The shadow thread would include: speculation, questions not related DIRECTLY to this week's update, all the inevitable tangential stuff that gets thrown up - eg trees, Speedtree, possibly varying tree densities between 1940s and 2010, etc, etc, etc, and the inevitable questions about release date..!

This way we all get to comment on whatever we want, but the main thread is kept clear for the developers to read, and those who want to ignore all the speculative stuff can avoid it.

Sounds like a solution to me.

edit: wrt AndyJWest - on re-reading, think I may have taken something slightly different from your post than maybe you intended (?) , but this seems like a good idea to me anyway...

Last edited by kendo65; 08-27-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Approved Member

+1 to the above
Old 08-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Tree_UK

Yeah great idea kendo +1.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

I agree, especially since i'm also guilty of going with the flow of the discussion a lot of times. A secondary thread would keep the update threads clean without muffling people who want to discuss secondary issues.

There's only one problem in this idea, it takes more than one moderator to enforce something like this. For example, one person would have to be constantly monitoring the update thread and when secondary subjects arise he would have to move the offending posts to the secondary thread. As long as people where not offensive to each other there would be no need for bans or warnings, just moving the posts to the secondary thread.

Of course, that would make the secondary thread a kind of raw dump of pruned posts and it hinders the flow of conversation somewhat when posts appear out of nowhere, but we can't have everything. In fact, just because of posts disappearing from one place and appearing in another, after a while people who wanted to discuss peripheral issues would learn to go to the secondary thread right away and structure the discussion as usual, instead of having to locate their moved posts every time, or if it had a lot of concurrent themes they would start a new thread of their own for a specific issue.

I still like the idea however. Instead of telling us "you can't talk about this here", it would be like telling us "you can talk about anything you want in that one room, but you sift through the rabble yourself"
Old 08-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

- 4 .
do not agree.
Subforums the invention and stupid and not visible to everyone.
generally need a real forum to discuss various issues concerning the game and different perspectives of view of all the people who play.
a real forum to be communicative with everyone even though the ideas might be strange or complex.
Subforums allows a lot of people not being social with the audience.
and as if you built a private island just to talk without people like you who think differently or even higher in high places or of a superior race.
The Forum serves precisely to compare the various ideas and not hide or ignore them is a forum for discussion.
in a forum, there are different nations and cultures and you must accept them.
I would be even more 'okay if you make a forum dedicated to technical information.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Sow comments are getting more frequent.
A dedicated sub-forum is needed.

+1
Old 08-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

+3

I think its another game, is needed a correct section for them.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Global Moderator

Thumbs up

Subforums will be necessary when SOW is released. There will be so much activity and questions a single forums just won't work. The UBISOFT forums is a good example. The IL2 forums were high traffic for years.

The problem.. Oleg will probably use a western distribution of SOW, therefore the forums will be on the distributors site.

I don't think 1C will handle Western distribution.

As it is, we are doing OK. We have quite a bit of traffic, but it's not consistently high.

Not trying to throw cold water on the idea.

This forums is owned by 1C, how they want to structure this forums is their prerogative.

Last edited by nearmiss; 08-27-2010 at 06:47 PM.