Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprr View Post
Hi ya all

Looknig closely at Olegs late FW-190's - Antons and Doras that look better(maybe due to a bit smaller diameter) it seems that game engine is not the limiting reason but improved industry standard vs old aircraft model that didn't get the rework it needed.
The bright side - if FB can do perfect round engines and it does, SoW will not try to CTD my PC on the spot(from that aspect only...

gprr
The engine may not be the overall limiting factor, but the hardware is. And more recently modeled aircraft have the comfort to be built for much faster machines as the earlier aircraft, thus are allowed to have more polygons and/or higher skin resolutions.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
The (mathematical) equation for a circle (or ellipse, depending on point of view) isn't that complex. It might be time to actually do it in maths, rather than fudge it in polys.
I wonder if there are any games that do this? I have been thinking along these lines too.
I'm also surprised there isn't software that will simply stitch together a 3D model from stills taken at different angles - automatically correcting for perspective and size discrepancies.

Flying online as Setback.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
I'm also surprised there isn't software that will simply stitch together a 3D model from stills taken at different angles - automatically correcting for perspective and size discrepancies.
It would be nice if it were that easy - but we take a lot for granted with regard to the feature recognition that our eyes and brains do. You really need structured lighting (laser lines) and controlled camera positioning to do it (or a specially painted object!). No doubt it will be done one day, by detailed and small pattern learning and recognition, but I don't think we're near it yet, at the prices game producers could pay.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Approved Member

I can see it now...

WE ARE going to get another hilarious flood of threads that are intended to "scare" Oleg into revealing the "SoW" release date (or web site, or in-game video's, or you name it).

Examples...

1) You better hurry up and release the game...its going to be "out of date" soon.

2) You better hurry up Oleg..."Rise of Flight" is planning a WW2 add-on.

3) ...Micro$oft is adding a damage model and explosions (guns, ect) to the "Simulator X" series (soon, I read it here).

4) "I'm so frustrated with Oleg's lack of interaction with the community that I will never buy the game"

5) Oleg lied about the release date.

6) "This game is vaporware..."

7) Ubisoft is preventing the release of SoW...

It doesn't look as good as "Simulator X"...show us screen shots.

LOL !!!!

Last edited by proton45; 08-26-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
I can see it now...

WE ARE going to get another hilarious flood of threads that are intended to "scare" Oleg into revealing the "SoW" release date (or web site, or in-game video's, or you name it).

Examples...

1) You better hurry up and release the game...its going to be "out of date" soon.

2) You better hurry up Oleg..."Rise of Flight" is planning a WW2 add-on.

3) ...Micro$oft is adding a damage model and explosions (guns, ect) to the "Simulator X" series (soon, I read it here).

4) "I'm so frustrated with Oleg's lack of interaction with the community that I will never buy the game"

5) Oleg lied about the release date.

6) "This game is vaporware..."

7) Ubisoft is preventing the release of SoW...

It doesn't look as good as "Simulator X"...show us screen shots.

LOL !!!!
Now, where did you get Tree's "why the world (especially SOW/OM) is bad"-list from?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Tree_UK

I have never quoted anything from that list.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
I wonder if there are any games that do this? I have been thinking along these lines too.
It has been around for years my friend, it's called Vector Graphics.

You can build models using mathematics rather than points in any good 3D modelling package (Maya, 3D Studio Max etc). Methods like NURBS and Bézier Curves use mathematical equations to describe an object rather than points.

The draw back = speed. Rendering and animating an object using these methods taxes a processor quite heavily. While using todays CPU/GPUs you can render a lot of NURB objects and animate them in 3D modelling programs, to translate that into modelling planes, ground vehicles, terrain (not such a big deal), trees, NPCs would be a huge drain on even todays PC's. Don't forget the system/game engine also needs to deal with user input, AI, Physics, Lighting, Networks etc.

Don't despair though, it's not impossible. Quake III had a few animated NURB objects and that was in 1999.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Approved Member

Apparently it's all out of date according to this article.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/...just-that.aspx

...and we will be playing hi def 3D games on our mobile phones all because of the power of Voxels!

Hmmmm! Didn't Comanche V Werewolf use Voxels??????

Cheers!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/...just-that.aspx

...and we will be playing hi def 3D games on our mobile phones all because of the power of Voxels!

Hmmmm! Didn't Comanche V Werewolf use Voxels??????

Cheers!
Nice find, it's peaked my interest
Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Very interesting technology. Thanks for posting.