Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
It's going to take a lot more processing power for 32 to 64 poly circles. LOL
The (mathematical) equation for a circle (or ellipse, depending on point of view) isn't that complex. It might be time to actually do it in maths, rather than fudge it in polys.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
No, I think you misunderstand me, I am saying that given the time when the development started and how things have moved on then there are always going to be areas that appear to be outdated or that could be improved. For example, If SOW had started development last year then the technology available would be so much greater than 3/4 years previously. Obviously bigger companies develop faster because they have the money/resources to get games out fairly quick, thus never being too far away from what the latest technology has to offer.
I dont think they would have used all the same engine components from the start of coding. I'll bet that the engine is still under development and being changed all the way up to completion. Untill the game/sim is released im sure theres engine tweaking going on. So to say the engine is from '06 is a stretch. Its been under development since then maybe.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
I dont think they would have used all the same engine components from the start of coding. I'll bet that the engine is still under development and being changed all the way up to completion. Untill the game/sim is released im sure theres engine tweaking going on. So to say the engine is from '06 is a stretch. Its been under development since then maybe.
yeah maybe your right, but i figured once you start with the basic framework then you are somewhat limited, but im far from an expert in these things.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
but im far from an expert in these things.
What approximately is your level of knowledge?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Tree_UK

Well i have a general understanding of what a game engine is and does, but i have never worked in that enviroment, my knowledge is in hardware.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
No, I think you misunderstand me, I am saying that given the time when the development started and how things have moved on then there are always going to be areas that appear to be outdated or that could be improved. For example, If SOW had started development last year then the technology available would be so much greater than 3/4 years previously. Obviously bigger companies develop faster because they have the money/resources to get games out fairly quick, thus never being too far away from what the latest technology has to offer.
Tree, there is no chance that the game engine is outdated. If anything it probably way ahead of its time, and we will have to see more than a few addons before computer systems can handle what the engine is capable of doing.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
As above posters already pointed out, these equations are... let me say: superficial. Like in any building or development process, you have a start of a production that starts at some point and you keep reshaping and redesigning things until they all come together and are polished for the end product.
It's not like they say, "Well, we've got a plan, lets start programming it 1:1", starting from line 1 and finishing with [END] 2 weeks before production begins. I can't imagine any process being that static, linear or unable to be changed to include improvements and changes.

And it's not necessarily right, that bigger teams with more resources or money produce games faster. If you think about which games you describe with these words, it's either the mainstream games or those of very renown software-developers. But if you take a closer look, e.g. at Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament, Sims, Flightsimulator, etc. you can see that these are all sequels very much based on previous releases, with minor changes to the engine and mostly cosmetic changes.
Long story short: Just because somebody get's more money doesn't mean he does the job better. If it was that way, we could have spared one or the other global financial crisis.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

It could be part of the reason why SoW is taking so long. It's gonna take much longer to program than a 'game' and in that time there are new developments in the industry which then get included and so on.

'Normal' game developers would just release the game after 18 months, then continue to develop the idea and do a sequel (sales dependant). SoW has to be a lot more future proof than your average shooter. So it's probably being constantly updated engine wise, as new tools become available. It must be hard to know when to stop.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Approved Member

^^ exactly.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Approved Member

Hi ya all

Looknig closely at Olegs late FW-190's - Antons and Doras that look better(maybe due to a bit smaller diameter) it seems that game engine is not the limiting reason but improved industry standard vs old aircraft model that didn't get the rework it needed.
The bright side - if FB can do perfect round engines and it does, SoW will not try to CTD my PC on the spot(from that aspect only...

gprr

Last edited by gprr; 08-25-2010 at 06:58 PM.