Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

Default SOW and round shapes quallity

Hi all

I'm mad about this game and Oleg is still my hero but it is still a whine...

It is still easy to spot the straight lines in engine model outer lines of JU-88 as seen here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=15932
To see thing like that in modern sim to be released is a bit disapointing,I know the work on models started long time ago, but, to see much more perfect engine shape in FB new planes and expect to have is somehow sad for me - can it/will it be improved for better?

gprr

Last edited by gprr; 08-24-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Approved Member

2 words.... polygon budget.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Tree_UK

Well you have to remember that the game engine is effectively already out of date if it was started in 2006/2007, SOW has taken that long to develop that i guess it will look a little old when released as others have already pointed out. however that said we still haven't seen anything in high res or with high detail in DX11 so I would imagine it will look somewhat better than what we are currently seeing, how it will run is another story.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprr View Post
Hi all

It is still easy to spot the straight lines in engine model outer lines of JU-88 as seen here:
To see thing like that in modern sim to be released is a bit disapointing,I know the work on models started long time ago, but, to see much more perfect engine shape in FB new planes and expect to have is somehow sad for me - can it/will it be improved for better?

gprr
This is barely noticeable and for the price of less CPU/GPU load = bigger formations and historical battles, I would go even more toward IL2's way in 'modeling straight lines'.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the graphics is "so last year standard" as this game is all about everything else than today's standards which translates to = too much time spent in polishing up models and not enough time spent in getting the gameplay right.

All this can be polished up later on with patches and what not. I am much more interested in seeing some examples how AI in this game functions and more importantly - how are sounds modeled. In other words, do we get "land mowers" or Rolls Royce and Daimler-Benz engines.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Well you have to remember that the game engine is effectively already out of date if it was started in 2006/2007, SOW has taken that long to develop that i guess it will look a little old when released as others have already pointed out. however that said we still haven't seen anything in high res or with high detail in DX11 so I would imagine it will look somewhat better than what we are currently seeing, how it will run is another story.
With as long as this game has been in development and with such a small user base relative to mainsteam games I dont see how Oleg and Maddox will break even much less make a profit. What are the development costs to date 5 -10 million? How many copies they might sell 200k if there lucky.

I hope it doesnt stop future development wit hthe dwindling market and lack of profits
Old 08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
ROFLOL - you're really so funny lighthearted onesided, Tree.

You're saying that the game is outdated and as such is not able to compete with more standards in terms of graphics and polygons.
But even your professional pessimism has to give way to logic: Considering a game needs between 3 and 7 years of development, chances are these modern games you compare it with, in fact are very likely to be much older than SoW.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.}{.O.R. View Post
This is barely noticeable and for the price of less CPU/GPU load = bigger formations and historical battles, I would go even more toward IL2's way in 'modeling straight lines'.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the graphics is "so last year standard" as this game is all about everything else than today's standards which translates to = too much time spent in polishing up models and not enough time spent in getting the gameplay right.

All this can be polished up later on with patches and what not. I am much more interested in seeing some examples how AI in this game functions and more importantly - how are sounds modeled. In other words, do we get "land mowers" or Rolls Royce and Daimler-Benz engines.
It's not even "so last year". Every game out there still shows polys somewhere. Yes there is tessellation technology that can do some pretty amazing stuff with DX11 but that is still in its infancy and it'll be a few more years before we properly see games take advantage of that.

Storm of War has to balance details on individual objects with overall world detail. Toss in a hundred plane engagement with an extremely advanced physics model (many big budget video games do NOT have the same level) and an advanced AI model that has to operate in a very complex world... Yes I think we can forgive them for having small numbers of polys still showing here and there. As they are.... they are barely noticeable and with some anti-aliasing on the scene you'll barely notice them.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
With as long as this game has been in development and with such a small user base relative to mainsteam games I dont see how Oleg and Maddox will break even much less make a profit. What are the development costs to date 5 -10 million? How many copies they might sell 200k if there lucky.

I hope it doesnt stop future development wit hthe dwindling market and lack of profits

I agree the sooner the better for its release, but 5-10 million, I really doubt that figure.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
ROFLOL - you're really so funny lighthearted onesided, Tree.

You're saying that the game is outdated and as such is not able to compete with more standards in terms of graphics and polygons.
But even your professional pessimism has to give way to logic: Considering a game needs between 3 and 7 years of development, chances are these modern games you compare it with, in fact are very likely to be much older than SoW.
No, I think you misunderstand me, I am saying that given the time when the development started and how things have moved on then there are always going to be areas that appear to be outdated or that could be improved. For example, If SOW had started development last year then the technology available would be so much greater than 3/4 years previously. Obviously bigger companies develop faster because they have the money/resources to get games out fairly quick, thus never being too far away from what the latest technology has to offer.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprr View Post
Hi all

gprr
16 poly sided circles - that's as good as it gets.

8 poly sided circles - in Il2 Sturmovik

The renders are significantly better.

It's going to take a lot more processing power for 32 to 64 poly circles. LOL