Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Wingman extreme

having seen some videos on youtube that brought back my memories of PF and ill-2 sturmovik,i decided to give it another go at the game,but i do remember having issues with Wingman Extreme joystick, the speed control (Unsure how i can call that part) only went upto 85% and couldnt push the plane to 100/110% speed. If anyone else has this joystick,please share some info (:

PS: im getting a feeling its a little to dusty to play well.. is it actually possible to play well with only keyboard? :S
Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

While you could play with just the keyboard, you wouldn't be able to accomplish much. I'd say that a joystick is required, but even a cheap one will do the trick for casual use. I bet you'd find that most people here use $200-$800 worth of peripherals with this game and have that much more in the closet gathering dust.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Approved Member

have you tried joycontrol to calibrate it?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Approved Member

I am fairly new to this particular game and I use a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro (same stick you were talking about?).

I am not happy with my joystick settings as they are a little "touchy". It's not a stick problem, it's a user problem in that I have not hit on the right values yet .

The throttle seems to work fine for me to 100% thrust but I need to use the keyboard to "bump up" to 110%. I find myself using the keyboard for throttle adjustments anyway. In reality, I love the stick because it fits my oversized paw and won't be upgrading that particular device.

A suggestion I have for you, and one that I am going to try, is to change the throttle on the stick over to prop pitch. Since I have to hit a combination of keyboard buttons to change prop pitch, and since I find prop pitch adjustments rather critical when dogfighting, it would make more sense to have the prop pitch adjustable by stretching my joystick thumb a bit to the "throttle". Prop pitch is almost "on/off" in combat circumstances which is fine for the stick's throttle. Really fine adjustments to the throttle knob are difficult with the knob on the stick.

I find the keyboard just fine for throttle adjustments, even during dogfights where chopping throttle or pushing it rapidly forward are essential.

I would set up a better "cockpit" but I am addicted to playing on our large plasma and we only have one of those. So I have to wait to play until the wife is not around and even then, I have to rearrange the room lol. If I can figure out a way to attach a throttle quadrant to my recliner (yes, I play from a recliner, try it sometime lol) temporarily I will.

So to summarize my thoughts, what you have is a good "cheap" stick for flying. If you like the feel of it, it can work but you will need to come up with a set up that works for you. What the stick lacks is enough buttons that you can hit without taking your hand off the stick. But to my mind, in a fighter, that is fairly realistic....the left hand is used for throttle and other adjustments while to right hand flies the plane.

Just my thoughts.

Splitter
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

I use a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3d Pro, and I can get 110% throttle. I calibrate the stick in Windows, and then in IL2, and it works fine.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Approved Member

Smile

I play using my recliner, I have trottle and joystick mounted to plexiglass which is mounted using a couple L brackets. My center screen is a 42 inch lcd. I recently purchased 2 Dell 21 inch monitors and I use them on either side, of course they are positioned about half the distance as the 42 inch so as to line up. I also use track ir with my 3 monitor set up. There is no way my wife would let me set this up in the living room so I created a game room. Kinda off subject more to do with the recliner and comfort.

Last edited by Hunden; 09-04-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunden View Post
I play using my recliner, I have trottle and joystick mounted to plexiglass which is mounted using a couple L brackets. My center screen is a 42 inch lcd. I recently purchased 2 Dell 21 inch monitors and I use them on either side, of course they are positioned about half the distance as the 42 inch so as to line up. I also use track ir with my 3 monitor set up. There is no way my wife would let me set this up in the living room so I created a game room. Kinda off subject more to do with the recliner and comfort.
If we weren't moving early next year I'd set up something very similar lol.

Like I said, I like the set up of modern fighters with the joystick to the right and throttle, etc., to the left. I'm thinking recliner with small, heavy wooden tables to either side. Attach stick and quadrant to the tables with some kind of clamp (I know some have them built in). Keyboard could rest in the lap.

For expense and space, I actually like the idea of the smaller monitors to each side and a bit closer. Makes total sense.

Splitter
Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Approved Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
If we weren't moving early next year I'd set up something very similar lol.

Like I said, I like the set up of modern fighters with the joystick to the right and throttle, etc., to the left. I'm thinking recliner with small, heavy wooden tables to either side. Attach stick and quadrant to the tables with some kind of clamp (I know some have them built in). Keyboard could rest in the lap.

For expense and space, I actually like the idea of the smaller monitors to each side and a bit closer. Makes total sense.

Splitter
I made a base using plywood, made it a foot wider or so than the width of my recliner on each side. Then I made 2 small tables using steel tubing and partical board. I skined the right one with my old wet suite for the mouse. then I bolted everything down. I have my keyboard mounted to a bracket that is attached to the left table but sitting about a foot above it at a 45 degree angle. I have my throttle and joystick mounted to plexiglass that is attached to the arms of my chair. My tower slides right under my right table. I had to make a swinging arm for my track ir due to the distance of my monitors. And yes your right about saving space with the 2 smaller monitors, I would have taken up the whole room with 3- 42 inch monitors. On second thought I coud have had 126 inches of monitor.............