Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Movie Making and Videos

Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Approved Member

Default Smiting Them Hip & Thigh

Inspired by words that we hear quite often online on the ATAG server...

Best in 1080p and fullscreen!

Everybody who has played Cliffs of Dover has noticed that the damage model is one of the best features of the sim. On this mission I involuntarily ended up demonstrating that!

In WWII planes, the trim tabs and control surfaces were actuated with different control cables, so it quite often happens that you can no longer use a control surface, but you can still use the trim tab on that surface for small corrections. That is what happened to me, and it makes for a pretty hairy situation when trying to land.

The music for this video is made by my good friend Christophe Gibert who has a band called Pantin Rouge. Check them out here: http://www.myspace.com/pantinrouge

Last edited by Freycinet; 02-21-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

Nice video. It really shows what a mess the damage models are. You get riddled with 20mm and fly on, the 109 takes a 1 second burst and erupts into flame. The Supermarine Sturmovik at it's finest.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Approved Member

You're wrong. It shows that it matters where you hit. He didn't do any crucial damage to me and a lucky machine gun bullet set his engine on fire (probably severing a fuel line or something like that). I would be very sad to fly a sim where the damage is completely predictable after you put a bullet in a hit bubble. The outcome of engagements similar to this has most often been the opposite, in the many dogfights I've flown.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

+1 to Frey.

The 109 has too critical spots: The water coolant and the fuel tank. If you hit it, it´s over. As for the rest you can pretty much hit anything with very little effect.

The Spit & Hurri have not such a sensitive coolant but for the fuel-tank it´s pretty much the same. A 0.5-second burst and the plane is burning. It just might be harder to hit the fuel-tank...
Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Great video Frey. Indeed an an awesome illustration of the amazing damage model of Clod!

Cinematically your best video to date, in my opinion. Brilliant cutting, I loved it!

..and Clod is going to get even better apparently
Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Approved Member

Nice video again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continu0 View Post
+1 to Frey.

The 109 has too critical spots: The water coolant and the fuel tank. If you hit it, it´s over. As for the rest you can pretty much hit anything with very little effect.

The Spit & Hurri have not such a sensitive coolant but for the fuel-tank it´s pretty much the same. A 0.5-second burst and the plane is burning. It just might be harder to hit the fuel-tank...
Crucial /critical parts of the aircraft. We don't know how well protected they are though, or how vunerable.

When originally released by 1c these WiP screenshots were named 'dm' and 'collision model'.

Flying online as Setback.

Last edited by major_setback; 02-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Approved Member

good video thanks...the landing you can walk away from etc

but seriously mrfrey

- never fly straight and level in a combat zone!
- weave if you are tailend charlie
- even without elevator you could have rolled inverted to get away from that guy, maybe not a split s but at least an inverted diagonal

comon man you can do better than that!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

Hehe, yeah, I got complacent... Often happens, but it wouldn't in real life I can guarantee you!

Glad you guys like it!

I'm getting some responses among my youtube comments that go like this:

"Trax El 2 hours ago
Nice Video.
But, in my opinion, without the music it would have been better...
Engine noises and cannons barking...
Just the same: keep up the good work."

"744captain 1 hour ago
I agree...we want to hear the simulation not somebody's music. If we wanted that we can turn on a CD...we are here to hear and watch/experience the simulation not go to a concert."

- What do you guys think about that? It won't really influence my movie making, because I more or less take the road that I myself feel like taking, but it would be interesting to hear if the opposition to background music is generalized...

I've done so many WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) Cliffs of Dover movies that I feel like going a bit more cinematic. Many new challenges: editing, viewpoints, cuts, telling a story, - All great fun as well as being things that develop my movie-making skills. It is way more trouble but also way more rewarding.

Anyway, just some thoughts...
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Approved Member

Personally I prefer music to chatter. I don't like when you can hear online players, especially when they announce that they've had enough for today and are going for a cup of tea, straight after being killed. It ruins the feel of the film.

I hope you don't take these remarks as criticisms. You did ask

Engine sounds etc. are always nice, but music works better if it's done well as in Come with Me by RC_Kedik

Cheers.

major-setback

Flying online as Setback.

Last edited by major_setback; 02-21-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Approved Member

I was also about to comment about the music on youtube but decided not to.But I would prefer music in the background just add a bit more drama specially in the dogfights but letting the engine and guns sound there as well.I also liked the different approach you went for in some of the scenes.Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Royraiden; 02-22-2013 at 12:59 AM.