Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

So I'm trying to get my mouse to work for the camera and the ps3 recognizes it (works on the home menu) but the game doesn't seem too, at least it doesn't do anything while I'm trying to map it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface666 View Post
hope this helps
Obviously the button mapping is a starting point, but at least you have a check list of settings now that you know work.
HOWEVER there is no zoom function or landing brakes if you use a custom layout, if you have a thrustmaster they do, PC sticks dont.
I messed around with the setting using your setup as a starting point. I just wanted to mention that the zoom function does work if you map it to a button. I have mine mapped to the pinkie trigger (button 6). I may have misunderstood what you meant when you say there is no zoom though.

I also tried mapping the mouse nub on the throttle to the look camera but it seems to get the centering way off, the camera looks all the way to the left. Having a nonlinearity setting for the look camera would be nice and could probably fix this issue. Having one for the throttle might help with the braking issue too.

I had this game for the Xbox 360 but after news of the patch, or lack thereof, I decided to trade the game in (On Goozex) and get the PS3 version. It's nice being able to use a PC flight stick.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Approved Member

Default Thrustmaster X HOTAS HAWX true plug n play for PS3

The Thrustmaster X HOTAS that came out for lame HAWX game works. Its even plug n play (make sure its on ps triple setting). I used the thrustmaster settings and they work in game.

I'd give this a 4 out of 5. ANd I'd recommend it.

Why? First off it's plug and play (my BOP is patched for PS3), and reading the posts here kinda scared me because I didn't want to go through the hassle I went through setting up IL-2 and my CH stuff (which was semi plug n play) on my PC (which died so I'm here instead of there).

Note on plug n play: Make sure it works in the PS3 OS (operating system screen), if it does, once you turn on Thrustmaster in BOP settings you loose your game pad, so everything works on the Thrustmaster in game. The hat is directional button. Hold down the hat, as its not as sensitive as the PS3 game pad + directional buttons.

Its price is great. Lower than the Saitek PS3 offering, and logitech's (I wanted something else other than logitech, which is good but the deadzone of the Extreme needs tweaking).

Logitech on amazon actually was cheaper but I wanted a PS3 stick (for Ace Combat series which will return to PS3 muwahahaaha)

Workmanship is good. Its plastic, and good plastic. Its pretty tough. It uses 1 USB port on the PS3, which is great. Its not all metal, but good luck trying to find something all metal these days without costing an arm and leg and a tank of gas.

The throttle can be separated from the stick, which is helpful (especially for me who likes them apart like a real plane), but theres a limit due to the cable that attaches both units together (and you can't detach the cable).

You have two Yaw controls on default thrustmaster setting (first one in the game controllers), two buttons on the throttle and the twist stick.

The only issue is that its space age looking, and the throttle doesn't sit in my hand as well as CH Products throttle does.

Button placement is a minor issue. On the throttle I have let my hand go (i'm a medium glove size US) to reach some of the buttons. On the stick, sometimes I bump the bomb button during lots of maneuvering since its on one of the top corners (I use my middle finger on the trigger with my index free for something else; an old CH fighterstick habit).

For BOP I tend to fly 70% to WEP alot, and since the throttle rests highest on 50% that kinda is a bummer.

Another slight teensy tiny issue is the throttle is darn sensitive. I can get better control out of the game pad. On the game pad I could get 1% increments. On the throttle, I can get 5% increments of change if I get lucky, usually 10% is the norm.

Also anything forward of 70% and it slides into WEP easily. In Arcade you can milk the WEP (when engine coughs back off to 100% wait a sec and WEP again) which can get you ME-262 speeds, but on the throttle here its hard to do, since you pull back and its at 60% or something not 90-100%.

It doesn't force feedback. Movement is a little sluggish, more on the throttle than stick, stick is similar to a Logitech Extreme stick but as stated before, I'm used to the ease of a CH fighterstick.

Difference between the game pad and stick really is night and day. For the IL-2 PC gamers, its just a tad below using keyboard and mouse vs a joystick in my case. A stick really helps get that fine movement for gunnery. On the game pad, its hard for me to roll and track but on the stick it just comes natural, especially highly maneuverable fighters like the LA-7 or Spit.

Also realistic and sim modes are alot easier with the thrustmaster X, even the insta-stall of the P-51D is smoothed out and that plane really handles well.

All in all a good stick and serves my needs for IL-2 BOP
Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

slightly off topic, but how exactly can I do custom controls for this game? I got this game today and updated it to 1.01 but when I try to enter "custom layout", nothing happens! Perhaps I need to go through the tutorials first?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Never mind, just figured it out, however, I'm also trying to make it run with a good old Saitek Evo FFB but throttle doesn't work. I read that you have to boot the PS3 without activating any other controllers BUT it doesn't seem that my Playstation don't want to start directly with the game as you boot anymore, I always start on the XMB screen first which is a bitch navigating with the Saitek.. any ideas how to fix that?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone tried a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 with the PS3?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Rockzo View Post
Never mind, just figured it out, however, I'm also trying to make it run with a good old Saitek Evo FFB but throttle doesn't work. I read that you have to boot the PS3 without activating any other controllers BUT it doesn't seem that my Playstation don't want to start directly with the game as you boot anymore, I always start on the XMB screen first which is a bitch navigating with the Saitek.. any ideas how to fix that?
Try using pad to navigate XMB then when game starts turn off pad when the press start button on game screen apears . Then use stick this is were the game picks up controler . This works for me . If you forget to turn off pad or turn it back on after you will start to have weird control issues
Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Newb question. How do you turn off the pad?

Just got the PS3, and IL-2 is my first PS game.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Noob question here. What layout do i use for the thrustmaster hotas? the guy above says its plug and play but not for me it isn't. The throttle stick works the rudder. The rudder works the throttle....etc. I tried the 2 thrustmaster settings in the controller layout and they didnt make much difference. I see a PC stick and custom.... Do I need to go custom all the way?? And if so...does anyone have the settings? Thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

To turn of the PS3 controller (pad):

Press the PS button on the pad (the one in the center) and hold -> a screen with options will appear. One of them is to turn of the controller.

Might also solve the HOTAS issues. Good luck.

MAC