Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Whether arcade, realistic, or simulation mode, I wish the following to mimic real wwii air war:

1. When you are killed, you get deducted the same points you gained when killing another.
2. Ammunition and fuel are always limited according to the maximum payload of the plane. The only way to replenish is to land in a nearby friendly base.
3. When you are shot down, re-spawn should happen in the nearby friendly airbase and take off from there.
4. If you attempt to capture a hostile airbase, you can get shot down by AAs. To capture a hostile airbase you must reduce the AAs and parked fighters by say 80%.
5. There should be no free for all dogfight. Team planes should be grouped as either allied or axis, i.e. German planes cannot team up with British planes.
6. Planes should have rated performance according to maneuverability, durability, maximum speed, and firepower. An I-153 might have a rating of 10 for manueverability but 1 for durability and speed. A spit can have a rating of 5 for manueverability but 10 for speed and firepower, and an 8 for durability. In this way, we can realistically mimic the characteristics of the real planes.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jihad_Joe View Post
Whether arcade, realistic, or simulation mode, I wish the following to mimic real wwii air war:

6. Planes should have rated performance according to , durability, maximum speed, and firepower. An I-153 might have a rating of 10 for manueverability but 1 for durability and speed. A spit can have a rating of 5 for manueverability but 10 for speed and firepower, and an 8 for durability. In this way, we can realistically mimic the characteristics of the real planes.
Good ideas all except for your number 6. This is simplifying flight characteristics far too much. Manueverability and speed for each plane changes at different altitudes for each plane, aswell as different charateristics in climb and dive (P-47 = Speed 10 in dive).

Example, Something like a P-51D Mustang would have a maneuverability rating of about 3 or 4 at the low altitude and speed that the I-153 rates as 10. Now take the fight up to 15,000ft and to around 270mph (I153 max speed) I-153 would now rate 1 or 2 on the maneuverability. The Mustang on the other hand would rate 8 at that speed. At even higher speed the Mustang would have a maneuverability rating of 10.

Also Spitfire V Typhoon. Typhoon faster than Spitfire at low altitude. Spitfire much faster at higher altitude.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 08-08-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 AM
Approved Member

That could be cool
Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

For me a simple free flight mode with friends will do, would love to see smoke trails and a stationary camera that just follows your aircraft from the ground of the air strip you take off from (air show style), is this the flyby cam people are mentioning?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Two bombers I'd LOVE to have are the lancaster and the halifax, especially the halifax because i just love that stinkin plane
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Approved Member

Default Maneuverability, Agility and Turning Circle.

Don't forget the usual confusion that some folks have with agility, turning circle and maneuverability.

Agility is how responsive an aircraft is to pilot control input. Unstable aircraft are always very agile and snap into and out off turns, spins, rolls, etc. sometimes too quickly for an inexperienced pilot to cope with. Aircraft like the P-47, P-51, Fw-190, F-2A Buffalo, A6M Zero, I-16, I-153, Fokker Dr.1., Sopwith Camel, etc. are described as highly agile but were also very difficult to fly at maximum potential. Roll rate features amongst the summation of agility. The P-47 is decribed as agile in reports but at over 7 tons has poor maneuverability and a poor turning circle. It has a good roll rate though. It rolls quicker than the Bf-109 and the Spitfire but not the Fw-190 or P-51.

Basically agility describes how snappy and responsive an aircraft is to control input.

Maneuverability is an assessment of aerobatic stunts and maneuvers. This is a summation dive recovery, looping ability, turning circle and execution ability of classic dogfight aerobatics. As an example the F-4F Wildcat was described as maneuverable but not agile. The A6M Zero is described as both agile and maneuverable. The P-38 is both agile and maneuverable but had a poor turning circle. The Bf-110 is described as maneuverable in reports but was not agile and did not have a good turning circle radius.

Turning circle is an aircraft's tightest radius turn at the lowest possible speed without stalling. Some bombers can turn tighter than some fighters but they are not very maneuverable.

In all modes of BOP most of the ace players will cut their throttles to idling in order to turn inside an inexperienced player's fighter. Some will even pop their combat flaps, in simulator mode, to force their fighter to cut tighter into the turn so as to pull lead on their prey.

Last edited by Panzergranate; 03-09-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

welcome guys.

Last edited by Robert932; 12-16-2012 at 09:15 AM.