Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

matchmaking wtf?dont like the sound of that
Old 03-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
Ubisoft's faq in the OP
Thxz edited above.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
Thxz edited above.
No problem.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Approved Member

Interesting to note that while it includes that steam line in the UK's ubi post, that line is completely missing in the ubi forums US page which has the same info almost word for word.

Steam is a virus...a control tool and will never make its way back on to any computer system I own.

I didn't buy SH5 because of the forced steam issue.
I didn't buy N:TW because of the steam issue ( and because ETW was such a disappointment and forced me to be on steam to multiplay)
Playing ARMA2 CO is a perfect example of why I won't deal with steam. I can run the game without a hitch, and make choices for myself. Squad members who bought it via steam are forced to take patches the DAY the are released on steam, regardless of settings, keeping them off the server...just as one example. I won't go into the nightmare that is encountered if they want to run mods like ACE2 for example.

While steam might be some kind of neat little thing for games like halo, I have no desire to have my gaming and chat controlled and recorded to be sold by 3rd party companies like valve. They can keep their software...I don't want it again, thank you.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
While steam might be some kind of neat little thing for games like halo, I have no desire to have my gaming and chat controlled and recorded to be sold by 3rd party companies like valve. They can keep their software...I don't want it again, thank you.
My use of Steam doesn't mean I enjoy retarded console games. Hell I see people in here praising garbage like the Call of Duty games. Don't try and make it out that it is some kind of console fanboi thing. It single handedly brought PC gaming back onto the market.

How does Steam control your chat? It doesn't really "control" your gaming either. It creates a library of the games you own and lets you play them at your will while simultaneously keeping them patched to the latest version. You can easily do mods for a game in your Steam library like any other game, and as a matter of fact Valve(which is the people who CREATED Steam and not a "third party") offers up and promotes mods made for their games. You are spouting untruths and misinformation, and passing it off as fact. If you want an older version of your game then back it up, and when steam updates it for you as a convenience just replace the new version with the older one you backed up.

The only reason I see you would have a problem modding a game in your Steam library is you aren't competent enough to find the folder to put it in, but you would have that issue if you didn't have the Steam version.

As to their privacy policy Yes, they do offer none identifiable information to third parties, such as what games you play. This isn't something new. Do you honestly think that when you register a game from a publisher that they don't do this same thing?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Approved Member

Well, i never register any games with any publishers. Also, having to back up an entire game folder to keep an older version is a major pain in the balls and exactly what half the IL2 community was bitching about when mods appeared: multiple installations. Well, if it's bad when the modders do it it's also bad if publishers do it, we can't have double standards.

In any case, i shouldn't have to be forced to jump through fiery hoops to enjoy something i paid for, especially when it's common knowledge that it is perfectly capable of working as it should without the layers of tacked on external software and without needing extra work. It doesn't need the devs to spend time on it to improve it, when in fact it's the integration with all the external applications that is costing them time. If they didn't integrate with them the game would probably be more customizable, run smoother and save them time as well.

See, this is the issue with all these external apps. They are supposed to be "added value" tools and this is true but only up to a point, because they usually introduce as much inconvenience as they do useful features.

In steam's case the only worthwhile advantage for a player would be the ability to download the game if the original disc gets damaged. The whole "friend's list" and contacts feature is nice to have but not critical. Finally, for people who are already owners of other Steam games it's a good chance to advertise CoD to their existing friends, for example when you log in and they see "player X is not playing Cliff of Dover".

As for disadvantages, forced patching and multiple backups required to circumvent it are downright unacceptable. I sincerely hope they only use it as a mutliplayer lobby that can be bypassed and not as an all-in-one "manage your entire game experience" tool.

Finally,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
but a second questionj is dou you want it play online exclusivly through steam too ??

if the install/purchase and online play via STEAM is a CHOICE , its totlay OK.
But if you are forced to use STEAM...

the statement on the UBO püage is not totaly clear in that, at least in my understanding as a non native english speaker.
That's my take on things as well. We know it will already have Solidshield DRM, so i guess that Steam is not there for copy protection. I hope they only plan to use it as a match-making/multiplayer lobby service.

I don't mind it as long as
a) it works
b) it doesn't force any additional DRM checks on top of Solidshield
c) it can by bypassed if i want to use another multiplayer server browser
d) i can revert to an older patch and finally
e) i can install the game to the drive and folder i want to

A lot of conditions some of you might say, but i'm a customer and since i'm not asking for something new (it's not exactly cutting edge technology to have the ability to select your installation folder or skip a problematic patch until the hotfix is released) i think it's not much to ask.

Anything less and i'll still get the game, but i'll lobby and raise a fuss on Ubi's forums to make it optional in the next expansion until i'm blue in the face, and that's a commitment
Old 03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Approved Member

Gotta love the anti-steam fuss. Let's see if we can match the whine that Civ5 had!
Besides the steam anticheat (VAC?) is more than wellcome.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

Steam does not force you to patch, there is an option on every game to set it to manual not automatic updates.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Steam does not force you to patch, there is an option on every game to set it to manual not automatic updates.
True dat!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Well, i never register any games with any publishers. Also, having to back up an entire game folder to keep an older version is a major pain in the balls and exactly what half the IL2 community was bitching about when mods appeared: multiple installations. Well, if it's bad when the modders do it it's also bad if publishers do it, we can't have double standards.

In any case, i shouldn't have to be forced to jump through fiery hoops to enjoy something i paid for, especially when it's common knowledge that it is perfectly capable of working as it should without the layers of tacked on external software and without needing extra work. It doesn't need the devs to spend time on it to improve it, when in fact it's the integration with all the external applications that is costing them time. If they didn't integrate with them the game would probably be more customizable, run smoother and save them time as well.

See, this is the issue with all these external apps. They are supposed to be "added value" tools and this is true but only up to a point, because they usually introduce as much inconvenience as they do useful features.

In steam's case the only worthwhile advantage for a player would be the ability to download the game if the original disc gets damaged. The whole "friend's list" and contacts feature is nice to have but not critical. Finally, for people who are already owners of other Steam games it's a good chance to advertise CoD to their existing friends, for example when you log in and they see "player X is not playing Cliff of Dover".

As for disadvantages, forced patching and multiple backups required to circumvent it are downright unacceptable. I sincerely hope they only use it as a mutliplayer lobby that can be bypassed and not as an all-in-one "manage your entire game experience" tool.

Finally,

That's my take on things as well. We know it will already have Solidshield DRM, so i guess that Steam is not there for copy protection. I hope they only plan to use it as a match-making/multiplayer lobby service.

I don't mind it as long as
a) it works
b) it doesn't force any additional DRM checks on top of Solidshield
c) it can by bypassed if i want to use another multiplayer server browser
d) i can revert to an older patch and finally
e) i can install the game to the drive and folder i want to

A lot of conditions some of you might say, but i'm a customer and since i'm not asking for something new (it's not exactly cutting edge technology to have the ability to select your installation folder or skip a problematic patch until the hotfix is released) i think it's not much to ask.

Anything less and i'll still get the game, but i'll lobby and raise a fuss on Ubi's forums to make it optional in the next expansion until i'm blue in the face, and that's a commitment
Hate to break it to you, but 1C are the big proponents of Steam. I am suspeting that it is 1C that is in charge of the DD decision here(speculative based on things said by Oleg and Ilya maybe they can confirm deny this) If that is the case then more money will go to 1C for a Steam purchase.

As for the backing up thing being a pita I agree, but at the same time if the game does exclusively use the Steam MP platform then the need for backups would be moot anyway. I honestly don't know why someone would be a huge advocate of running older buggier versions of software other than the very few instances that a patch makes a game less playable than it was before.

Your opinion on what is worthwhile is not factual ergo I will leave it at that.

a. Barring the highly unlikely chance that 1C Maddox releases it in a super buggy state, it will work.

b. Steam doesn't force DRM checks beyond when you are using it in online, and that really is just a "is this in their owned games list?". Nothing intrusive just a quick load screen.

c. unfortunately the way it's worded I suspect that it will use the steam MP platform by default, but I imagine there will be a mod from this community to circumvent that if possible.

d. I already laid that out, yes it's a pita, but it allows that.

e. You tell Steam where it installs itself and it will always add your Steam software to that folder (it creates subfolders that your games go in in that drive.) Not sure the importance of putting it in special folders. Understand the drive thing and just trying to ensure you understand how it works.

All in all I hope no one boycotts the game because of Steam, and maybe just maybe some of you will find that you actually like Steam. I was really adverse to it in the beginning too, but I can't really imagine doing a lot of my PC gaming without all the conveniences and fringe benefits it offers.