Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey-Charlie View Post
Ok,

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3 am good here with Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

PROCESSOR: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+(Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended) I have dual core 3.00GHZ (900mhz 775 socket I think), is i5 or i7 LGA1155 2.66GHZ quad core going to make a big diff? Will CoD really utilize those extra two cores? Is not 3.00GHZ better than 2.6GHZ?

RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended) Good here with 4GB RAM DDR2, would DDR3 realy make a big diff?

VIDEO CARD: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List* Am ok here with my GTX 285!

DIRECT X®: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc) Good here!

DVD-ROM DRIVE: 8X Good!

SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible Good!

HARD DISK SPACE: 10GB No prob!

PERIPHERALS: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended) Good

MULTIPLAY: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster Good

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480 My GTX 285 is in the middle of the pack.

Great news, although eventually would like to run at maxed settings, I think my current build will get me by and allow me time to save and build in the future thanks to CoD's up to date engine that utilizes even 2008 hardware better than IL2 ever did!
I think the biggest improvement you'd have is going with a 1GB memory vid card with DDR 5 .. 700mhz core clock .. 1400mhz shader clock .. under $100

I just upgraded to a nvidia 430 (Fermi) for IL-2 .. DDR3 but made a huge difference on my old P4 3.2 HT compared to an older 512MB vid card .. was only $60 after mail in rebate.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for all the good advice and info, much appreciated
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskey-Charlie View Post
So you don't think CoD's new engine/technology will process graphics any different than does FSX? If that's the case then I do need to upgrade. What is the best processor on the market today for gaming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
--snip--

My system isn't good enough to run the game at full settings while flying over populated areas, especially over London.

That's actually the fault of the CPU. Even if we replace all objects on the screen with single pixels, it doesn't run any faster. There's just so many objects around you being tracked - buildings and trees - that constantly updating their location relative to you takes a lot of resources.

My card is mostly maxed out by textures of tons of different objects, againt in populated areas. Airfields are the worst in this respect. You're seeing a ton of high-res objects at the highest level of detail. The game uses dynamic texture loading, and you'd see various textures cycle through lower LODs, try to load a higher one, run out of memory, and swap back to lower detail.

We have specific graphic options for that which allow you to limit the number of objects on the screen and their detail. Going to medium object density is hardly noticeable, especially compared to Il-2. Going to medium object detail is even less apparent unless you're taking an up-close look at a truck or a building.
My guess is that with a GTX285, you would have to have the very fastest consumer-grade CPU available today, along with 6GB of very fast RAM, before your GPU would be the limiting component - assuming most of your airborne activity is over 4,000 ft. (Based on my experience with multiple flight sims over the past 12 years, and Luthier's statement).