Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingblind View Post
And you people don't fool anyone with your righteous indignation and threats of never touching a Maddox offering again. Everyone on this forum is absolutely wetting themselves for Clod to come good and when it does they will empty thier piggy banks quicker than a stoat on steroids to have the Battle for Moscow or the Mediterranian or whatever will come next.
Wrong, that was me before the release of CloD, high expectations -rightly so- and big letdowns. I didn't say that I'd never buy a MG offering again, I simply meant that I will wait until the verdict is out this time around, if it's in shambles like CloD was at release then no, I will not "touch" it. I'm sure the Moscow sequel will be in a much better state though considering the improvements that has been made with CloD.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Why is that such a big problem? As has been said many times - it was possibly a choice of releasing CloD as was or never seeing it let alone any sequel. No doubt the plan is to get CloD properly sorted as quickly as possible to the developers and players satisfaction and once the engine is fully working, as I am sure it will be then other theatres can be released as per the original IL-2 series. This makes perfect sense if you really want CloD to carry on in the MG tradition which in turn is dependent on financial success.

If you want to call the sim a test bed and players guinea pigs then fine. The Battle of Britain is a perfect scenario for this. It was relatively short, contained in a small area and had a limited plane set. Apart from us Brits who see it as a major conflict up there with Agincourt, Trafalgar and Waterloo, the rest of the world see it as a rather minor side show. Once it is fully working and has good reviews then the important theatres will be grabbed by serious and not so serious simmers everywhere.

And you people don't fool anyone with your righteous indignation and threats of never touching a Maddox offering again. Everyone on this forum is absolutely wetting themselves for Clod to come good and when it does they will empty thier piggy banks quicker than a stoat on steroids to have the Battle for Moscow or the Mediterranian or whatever will come next.

I will definitely buy a sequel/add on for this game. Even though CLoD is not finished, I see the potential this game has and for the games to come. MG's track record is rather good as far as my experience goes and I will keep that faith in them.

Just my opinion though but I do not think they will leave CLoD in the desk drawer without first completing it. That would be like drafting an architectural blue print, then erecting the building without it. It is the base design and it needs to be complete for future expansions.

Whiskey
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

Despite the negatives, they will buy it.. there is nothing else in the WWII stable that is waiting to take their fancy, they will be back.. lol!
Next theatre, North Africa/Med.. be sure! (had to say it)..
Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Approved Member

I doubt they will ever be able to represent an event such as Adler Tag or any other significantly sized battle with this sim. Certainly not until its into its old age at any rate. It will remain an aerial skirmisher. Best left to represent those slow days of the battle which had bad weather or the odd channel convoy (assuming we see some weather and ships one day). The cpu bottlenecking might not be such a problem for an eastern front scenario with only dozens, rather than hundereds of aircraft being needed to give a credible or historic number of aircraft in the air a one time.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Why is that such a big problem? As has been said many times - it was possibly a choice of releasing CloD as was or never seeing it let alone any sequel. No doubt the plan is to get CloD properly sorted as quickly as possible to the developers and players satisfaction and once the engine is fully working, as I am sure it will be then other theatres can be released as per the original IL-2 series. This makes perfect sense if you really want CloD to carry on in the MG tradition which in turn is dependent on financial success.

If you want to call the sim a test bed and players guinea pigs then fine. The Battle of Britain is a perfect scenario for this. It was relatively short, contained in a small area and had a limited plane set. Apart from us Brits who see it as a major conflict up there with Agincourt, Trafalgar and Waterloo, the rest of the world see it as a rather minor side show. Once it is fully working and has good reviews then the important theatres will be grabbed by serious and not so serious simmers everywhere.

Hi flyingblind. It's a 'problem' if you are sold a product purporting to be (amongst many other things) a simulation of said battle which is in reality nothing of the sort. It is in essence a (faulty) tech demo, and not unlike FSX with guns. Maybe a slight exaggeration for effect, but not too far from the truth. As a sim 'BoB experience' (which is what we were sold) it falls very short of the mark. If you are happy with that, then I'm happy for you.

On the 'importance' or otherwise of the BoB, that's a matter for another thread and debate, and has been done to death already. Nationalism does not enter the equation.

'Once it is fully working'

I'm a day dream believer too. Won't be holding my breath anymore though; asphyxiation can never be good. Just ask Michael Hutchence. With a Ouija board, perhaps.

I can agree on some points, namely that we all want CoD to come good......we have that in common. The BoB is not my 'favourite' conflict or theatre, that would be North Africa and the Med.

I have no desire to argue with you FB, and I won't. That is my opinion. You have yours. All well and good.

Cheers.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
I doubt they will ever be able to represent an event such as Adler Tag or any other significantly sized battle with this sim. Certainly not until its into its old age at any rate. It will remain an aerial skirmisher. Best left to represent those slow days of the battle which had bad weather or the odd channel convoy (assuming we see some weather and ships one day). The cpu bottlenecking might not be such a problem for an eastern front scenario with only dozens, rather than hundereds of aircraft being needed to give a credible or historic number of aircraft in the air a one time.
I get the feeling that you have grossly under estimated the engine I have seen bids of CID with loads if aircraft flying at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
I get the feeling that you have grossly under estimated the engine I have seen bids of CID with loads if aircraft flying at the same time.
I know the footage you mean. There's that handy app that lets you record at very slow speed and reassemble at normal speed later on. It's good for movie making as it avoids the lag and stutters you'd get if you tried to play the mission out in real time.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Approved Member

Those vids are indeed recorded at 1/2 the speed.. Isnt it Sony Vegas?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

all that bitching and moaning over what is and what was.. lol now i understand why Oleg choose another career path

You realy should take the time and read back all what is said not only in this thread but in all the other ones aswell. Then you see how pathetic this all is!!

As far as i see it... no this game isn't finished ad yes they work hard to correct that. Yes the game was released to early but i don't think the devs are to blame for that but i suspect it was an UBISOFT decision to get there investments back (that's all that counts for those guys).

So lets not post negative threads any longer and help the devs instead to make things Sim the winner that it realy is. We can all help with that.

So who cares what went wrong, lets see how to make it better now.

S!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Approved Member

There's one built into the recorder of CoD too. Quite handy it is.