Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Default How to drop bombs from he111, ju88 in quick mission or single mission?

The button that works in stuka for droping bombs is not working in he111 or ju88. I open the bomb bay, press the button and nothing happens. Game crashes frequently when using bombsight view. Help, i wanna bomb England so badly.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
The button that works in stuka for droping bombs is not working in he111 or ju88. I open the bomb bay, press the button and nothing happens. Game crashes frequently when using bombsight view. Help, i wanna bomb England so badly.
Dear Luftwaffe,

We found an eager pilot to throw at the swine Englandar!

S!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Approved Member

Yeah looks like you aint going to get help from a tommy

Sorry I haven't used the level bombers yet, anyone else did?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Approved Member

Abwurfautomatik for the win!

Trim, open baydoors, trim more, switch bombs to operational, trim again, set the bombsight to the target location, trim your ass off, correct bombsight, maybe trim again, correct the bombsight again and activate the automated bombdrop.
Bombs will drop when the crosshair is aligned with the target.

Since the horizontal stabilizer or autopilot are not working (at least on my pc) levelbombing is pretty tricky.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Approved Member

LMAO
I figured it could not be that way. I was trimming my fingers blue, still the plane kept going sideways and stuff. Just did not have enough time to get a decent fix on target. I just thought there should be a way to do it. So I came here to read some bombing of fellow players. What cre8tive Delay wrote was exactly what I experienced. Made me laugh.

Last edited by bando; 04-14-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 AM
Approved Member

To bomb with the Luftwaffe bombers you might want to learn the autopilot first.

The process goes roughly like this:

1) Trim for level flight.

2) Look at your magnetic compass and input that heading to your directional gyro (enabling the mouse cursor and hovering over an instrument gives you pop-ups with the instrument read-outs, very useful when making adjustments like these). If you don't have any keys mapped to it, you can click on the rotating knob on the directional gyro to increment it. It's best to do this on the runway while idling and steady (don't apply throttle and use brakes to keep it steady, because acceleration of any kind messes up the magnetic compass), but you will need to correct it during flight as well (once every 10-15 minutes) and if you are flying quick missions you don't have that luxury anyway due to the air-start.

3) There's two compass card read-outs in the directional gyro. One is showing the current heading (as long as you did step 2 correctly), the other shows your intended heading.
This is separate to the repeater compass, which also has a heading selector function. However, the directional gyro and the repeater compass are completely independent instruments, the autopilot is fed the data it needs via the gyro so focus on that.
With the gyro showing the correct heading, move the second compass card to align it with the current heading (i mapped keys to this since in some aircraft the controls are a bit hard to click in the cockpit). This tells the aircraft that you want to keep flying your current route, which prevents sudden changes of heading when you engage the autopilot.

4) Turn on the autopilot in course mode (i don't know what R22 mode is, i suspect it's something to do with radio navigation). It might wobble a bit left and right until it stabilizes but not much. Also, i think it's not a full 3-axis autopilot, i was able to keep climbing by using appropriate trim and power settings even though the AP was on and keeping me on my selected course. So you will probably have to trim the elevators regardless of what the AP is doing.

5) Set up your bomb run (arm bombs, set salvo, etc), go to the bomb-sight view and look for the target. To make corrections, use the same keys you used to rotate the second compass card in the directional gyro. If all goes well, the aircraft will lazily make an S-turn for every change you input (i think it does this because it tries to keep course and not just heading, so it intercepts a course and then turns the opposite way to "ride" the radial you select).

6) Assuming you're heading straight for the target, input your altitude above ground level and your TAS, place the sights on the target, engage the automatic bomb drop and wait.

I haven't been able to make it work just yet (i haven't flown much in the past 3-4 days), but i'll probably put some time into it during the weekend.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 AM
Approved Member

the automatic course does not work in the Ju88 in the moment because its Gyro compas is not working.
It works in the He111 for sure, in the Bf110 i havent checked

and set your bomb mode to intervall, make the interval length maximum (that comes before the 1 ! ) and set your desired interval delay (that means the distance of the bombhits on ground).
the bombardier can not release the bombs without the automatic bombsight, only the pilot can. also you have to check what bombbaydoor commands are working (cant remember in the moment) . sometimes the "toggle bombbaydoors" do, sometimes only the "open bombbaydoor"&"close bombbaydoor" do....

mode salvo or single i recommend for diveattack or low level attack.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Approved Member

the miracle of the gyrocompass! thank you very much guys
Old 04-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
the automatic course does not work in the Ju88 in the moment because its Gyro compas is not working.
It works in the He111 for sure, in the Bf110 i havent checked

and set your bomb mode to intervall, make the interval length maximum (that comes before the 1 ! ) and set your desired interval delay (that means the distance of the bombhits on ground).
the bombardier can not release the bombs without the automatic bombsight, only the pilot can. also you have to check what bombbaydoor commands are working (cant remember in the moment) . sometimes the "toggle bombbaydoors" do, sometimes only the "open bombbaydoor"&"close bombbaydoor" do....

mode salvo or single i recommend for diveattack or low level attack.
Heh, figures as much. I spent half an hour on the 88 the other day trying to align that directional gyro and i thought that maybe there was a control/click-spot in the cockpit that turns it on and i had missed it

Also, thanks for the information on the bomb controls, i will try them out during the weekend.

If i may go into some more detail, there's a few things in your post that reminded me of some other stuff i have discovered.

First of all, i tried the autopilot in the 110 and it works, not very useful for bombing but certainly useful for navigating and hands-off flying.

About the bomb-doors, it depends on what kind of control the real aircraft had and it works similar to other controls in other aircraft.

To explain it a bit better, if a control is activated by a switch a simple toggle command will work. So, toggle bomb bay doors works fine in the He111 because it has such a switch.

However, if an aircraft function is activated by a manual control in the real aircraft the simulator also tries to make it harder for the player to operate and simulate the need to continuously use that control: you need to assign separate keys for each "direction" and keep them pressed until you get the desired effect. This is exactly the same as the 109's flaps, as long as you press the "flaps down" key the pilot is turning that wheel that lowers the flaps because they are manual and not driven by a motor.

The Ju88 has a manual bomb-door control (a hand-crank on the copilot's side cockpit wall), so you need to map separate open/close commands in the options and keep each button pressed. You will see the hand-crank rotating on the copilot's cockpit wall as you do this. There is also a scale with a moving marker on the base of the hand-crank that indicates the bomb door position, if you pan your camera to look at it you can see how far open it is without having to switch to an external view or keep the button pressed for too long.

Really nice exchange we got going here, it will be a blast flying the heavies once we get everything sorted out
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Approved Member

I am having no luck with the course auto pilot in the JU88 or the HE111s
I thought I had it working before the patches but sence the first patch and now with the second patch I just cant seem to get it to work.