Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Approved Member

Default This is what usually happens in an attack from a P-47/Fw-190/P-51

#B&ZIsFunAgain #Zoomers
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Approved Member

You mean they go too fast, misjudge their aim, and get only a glancing blow in before they stall and flip on their backs?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Approved Member

In nature lions kill for food by suffocating their prey. They wound them to slow them down, panic them and try to keep them from struggling free (doesn't always work) but the coup is getting the snout of the prey inside the lion's mouth and holding them until they suffocate, not the neck bite that some other cats use.
Sure they fight with tooth and claw in territorial battles but they "go to checkout" when "shopping" as described above and yeah it was a shock to me when I found that out not many years ago.

Look where the lion ends up. Mouth to mouth with the zebra and the zebra might have run its last but we don't see the results.

Find the movie King Arthur to see both how and how not to run a slashing attack. Early on they do it right when saving Sean Connery as the Roman big priest (Cardinal or Bishop, I forget) and near the end they let themselves get slow and mixed into the melee and end up losing members.

It's not the plane that does the fighting. It's the pilot. Hartmann proved what works in a 109 just using position, speed, a hard move and brief close-in concentrated firepower. And even he didn't kill everything he attacked. But he did survive the war with the highest Ace-count and ran that up in about half the war.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Approved Member

High speed slashing attacks requires a lot of training to do well. Besides that, try the following to see if that can provide a bit of help:
1. Try to fire at longer range. I used to be a fan of Klinge's doctrine of getting close and 150 converge. But my own experience tells me that's not necessary the best solution for everyone. I found my best killing range is farther out at 200-260 or even 300. I am a pretty bad shot and P-51s are very fast airplane. At 150, I could hardly get in 1-2 well aimed shot before i need break off. But at longer range, I had a little more leisure at aiming and scoring much better. 50's can make lethal damage even at 300. I had numerous 190a8's de-winged or blown to pieces at that range. Waste of ammo at longer range? perhaps, but if I can get 1-2kills and return home scratchless then I am happy. I know 10kills in one mission may be achieveable but I am not that good.

2. Pay close attention to your joystick's response curve, especially the pitch axis. This cannot be stressed enough. I used to listen to someone that 100 all the way is the best settings for x52pro. After months of flying, I can say that's completely BS. At the settings, getting a kill is difficult flying planes like p51, especially at making small stick adjustments. Also, you stall all the time. Later, I went back to stick settings 101 and set up my stick step by step from basic. Now aiming is much easier for me. Blowing enemy planes to pieces happens all the time for me in a P51. (recommend you read Bearcat's beginner guide on setting up fly controls).

So, if something is not going great for you, it may be the time for a change. Keep flying and keep adjusting.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

BUZZZ! Pandacat, MaxGunz, you're both wrong. The correct reply is "LOL."

Not enough smiley emoticons in my post? I was trying to be funny, instead I provoked an oh-so-serious discussion on Klinge's doctrine, months of practice with joystick settings, and earnest comparisons to nature documentaries and Sean Connery movies.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGunz View Post
In nature lions kill for food...
Maybe you mean the Lioness (Female).
The Lion is a lazy lounge lizard, that likes to rule the roost by bullying, and bonking whatever he pleases... the african way.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Up Dead View Post
You mean they go too fast, misjudge their aim, and get only a glancing blow in before they stall and flip on their backs?
The lion went by the numbers and started a really good take-down of a much larger target which is why I didn't laugh at the lion. You want flank steak or leg?

Also that's not what I have seen "usually happen" on servers but then I never hung around long on noob servers.

I agree with Panda about shooting from longer range during BnZ but how far depends on how fast you're closing. With high closing speed I've fired a ranging burst from 400m, done slight correction and hit the hammer from 300m and had to break off by 200m specifically to avoid ramming but also to exit behind the target. The whole pass from 400m to break off happens in seconds, if the ranging burst isn't really close then it's time to zoom and set up another attack. And THAT is what I've usually seen including when I was the target, but then I didn't hang with mudhens.

I gets ma lulz from turn fighters and their self-made victimhood.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Up Dead View Post
BUZZZ! Pandacat, MaxGunz, you're both wrong. The correct reply is "LOL."

Not enough smiley emoticons in my post? I was trying to be funny
This

Quote:
I gets ma lulz from turn fighters and their self-made victimhood.

Turn fighting is usually more intense and fun. But sometimes when I'm B&Zing a target below Instead of climbing back up to alt, I like to stick around for a bit killing any targets in my path.

Then with my superior speed and energy, I out-turn any bandit behind me by pulling death-defying G's and out-running them before out-climbing them. You look like a jet in their eyes lol

Last edited by Black_Sage29; 03-28-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Approved Member

Just to kill a nice joke completely: The bishop in the movie is not Sean Connery but Ivano Marescotti. And King Arthur naturally would have used true british Spitfire arrows against German actor Till Schweiger with his Bf 109 broadsword.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derda508 View Post
Just to kill a nice joke completely: The bishop in the movie is not Sean Connery but Ivano Marescotti. And King Arthur naturally would have used true british Spitfire arrows against German actor Till Schweiger with his Bf 109 broadsword.
No no, the 109 is a rapier, it's the 190 that's a broadsword.