Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Approved Member

Default Mig 9 I-300 vs FS and engine question

Hello,

I hope someone who knows jets in IL can explain a bit these two things:

1) In the game, what is the difference between I-300 and FS model? Wiki says I-300 were just a couple of prototypes and FS was serial production. Are there any differences except the skin?

2) Can someone please explain what happens in the engine when gun exhaust gets sucked in? As to why does this exactly damage or flame out the engine?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Approved Member

Normally the engine is moving fast through mostly clean air with oxygen content. What comes out of the gun besides the shell is high speed burned gunpowder and burn products with no free oxygen.
It is not forced into the engine at such high relative speed which reduces the pressure in the engine and it does not burn the engine fuel which then only cools the intake.
If *enough* of that happens, the flame goes out and right after that the air coming is again at high speed and doesn't relight the air-fuel mix so easy.
The burned powder solid products don't do the compressor blades much good and remember that they are burn your face off hot.

Don't hose ammo with those planes?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Approved Member

In-game the differences between the I-300 prototype and the MiG-9FS so far as I can tell is in the armament only. The MiG-9 has a N-37 and two NS-23 while the prototype had the larger N-57 cannon and two NS-23s.

It seems that in real life the issues with the cannon causing the engine to stall persisted but in-game only the prototype suffers.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Approved Member

I've tested both and they all suffer from the engine failure if firing the nose cannon above 3000m.