Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 AM
Approved Member

Default Boom&Zoom ain't even fun no more

It's effective yea, but it really is like shooting landing planes. And it's not really a fight...its an attack

Now I'm actually engaging in turning fights more

I can keep up with a Russian LA in a P-51 if i throw on the combat flaps and use my energy wisely

Usually they'll bleed there's off quicker anyway
Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Approved Member

well, im a steady victim to those things, i over boom and either miss or over g etc and get naile don what i think is a shallow getaway, i seem to get run down by those i just boomed, my energy retention sklills are abysmal indeed.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugumby View Post
well, im a steady victim to those things, i over boom and either miss or over g etc and get naile don what i think is a shallow getaway, i seem to get run down by those i just boomed, my energy retention sklills are abysmal indeed.
Sound like you're BnZ'ing from the 6... you want to do it more from the 8-4 clock position as this makes it near impossible for your target to get a fix on you, before you're long gone. ?
You use this same tactic for attacking formation of bombers.. the bigger the formation the more closer to the 12 position is your attack.

Last edited by K_Freddie; 02-24-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 PM
What the heck...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sage29 View Post
It's effective yea, but it really is like shooting landing planes. And it's not really a fight...its an attack
It's supposed to be an attack, lol. It's not a sport. If you're fighting a fair fight, you're doing something wrong.

Anything that gives me an advantage over an opponent, whether it be human or AI, I will gladly embrace.

Besides, some planes can make it really hard for you to get them even if you are BnZ'ing them, making it a real challenge, and success is by no means guaranteed. But at least you control the fight for as long as you're smart about it.

Last edited by Treetop64; 02-24-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Approved Member

Booming and zooming go hand in hand if you know what you are doing.

I was recently flying a 109E against a Yak1B in a series of "duels". The two aircraft were very equal in their ability to turn, but I found that if I straightened out and gained energy while the dipshit in the Yak kept turning, then I would gain E while he was not, and I could shoot up over him out of reach and come down for a nice shot.

The Yak pilot's reaction to this was to quit flying against me because I was smart enough to do something he was not. That is the poor attitude of those who cry about others tactics.

If you are just flying along and someone spots you on a hard settings server and zooms down on you, then you deserve that too because it is your choice to have your aircraft in any location. You can gain altitude in a safer area, fly under clouds or in other ways that make you hard to attack from above.

In the end "Black Sage" is just a bad pilot with a limited skill set that would rather cry about getting shot down than learning to do something about it.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Approved Member

I can boom and zoom perfectly fine. It's just too easy

A turning fight is a whole lot more immersive, fun, and exciting
Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

But its almost impossible to find a even planset, red vs blue.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I can boom and zoom perfectly fine. It's just too easy

I can find no fun in going in endless circles and then getting shot down by the other guy that always comes down from above onto two turning and burning planes. But I can find fun in beeing that other guy.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:42 AM
Approved Member

How about flying over and through all of the swirling dogfights and putting some iron on the fuel dump/enemy convoy/airbase/targets/etc.

Turn fighting can be a blast, precision boom and zoom can be a blast, bombing stuff, strafing stuff... whatever. There's so much to do but it sounds like you're in a rut Black_Sage. Try doing something different.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 AM
Approved Member

Ground pounding ought to cure the boredom.