Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Default A couple of beginner questions

Hi,

I just bought Il-2 1946, playing again after a five year break. Patched to 4.12.2. Started an offline campaign playing as a Soviet Pilot. It started in july 1941 with LaGG-3.

I'm curious about if there is any plane upgrades in these campaigns , as time passes? Flying LAGG-3 get's quite hard after those better Me's start to show up.

Thanks and cheers to everyone,

Harakka74
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harakka74 View Post
Hi,

I just bought Il-2 1946, playing again after a five year break. Patched to 4.12.2. Started an offline campaign playing as a Soviet Pilot. It started in july 1941 with LaGG-3.

I'm curious about if there is any plane upgrades in these campaigns , as time passes? Flying LAGG-3 get's quite hard after those better Me's start to show up.

Thanks and cheers to everyone,

Harakka74
There will be some better planes later in the campaign.
Try the other way around and fly a Bf109 vs the Russians, it is easier to do. Or start later in the war.
Here is something you should read:
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/.../inpursuit.pdf
Old 02-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Approved Member

Wait until you get the LaGG-3 S66. Thats superior to Bf-109 E4-E7, F2, G6 Fw-190A4-A8, (equal to Yak-1B), but still slightly inferior to Bf-109 F4 and G2. And when you get the La-5, Germans will have no chance at all.

If you want a more challenging (and enjoyable!) campaign, set up the campaign to fly Yaks.

Last edited by gaunt1; 02-15-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Approved Member

Yaks teach fire discipline!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for advice, I'll stick to my guns and wait for better planes! And thanks for the link, majorfailure.

I used to play Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters some years ago, now the AI seems better (or I'm so much in rust!!!) - just thought that it might get too hard with this early LaGG if nothing is updated. I don't mind the challenge, I try to play with almost all realism on - the sweeter the kill when I get one !
Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

Suppose you're playing a static stock campaign. The advantage of these is that the missions are handcrafted and shouldn't contain some of the oddities that dynamic campaigns generate. Dynamic campaigns are marked with asterisk*, and as you start one, you get to select the starting phase of the campaign and select a plane from a predetermined list for each one.

That In Pursuit is a fun read, just ignore all the pseudopsychological nonsense it has.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janosch View Post
Suppose you're playing a static stock campaign. The advantage of these is that the missions are handcrafted and shouldn't contain some of the oddities that dynamic campaigns generate. Dynamic campaigns are marked with asterisk*, and as you start one, you get to select the starting phase of the campaign and select a plane from a predetermined list for each one.

That In Pursuit is a fun read, just ignore all the pseudopsychological nonsense it has.
Ok, thank you, good to know. I hadn't noticed that asterisk thing either.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Wow, this is strange.... Now I tried to build a mission where a flight of LaGGs will fire rockets at a sub.

It seems the Sub AA-gun hits about 2/3 of those rockets midair, mine or AI's ! The rocket delays are normal, and I'm able to fire the rockets normally into empty sea, so I don't think they blow up too early by accident. I even set a camera and watched replays close with 1/4 time, seeing the Flak take down three pairs of 82mm ordnance...

Anyone please, is there any way to bring down this accuracy of AA, other than setting the crew to rookie?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harakka74 View Post
Anyone please, is there any way to bring down this accuracy of AA, other than setting the crew to rookie?
You could try setting the AAA to a lower RoF. Be aware that a higher value will result in a lower RoF, so the value is rather to be seen as reloading time.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for advice, the ROF seems to be the solution. Feels like it adds some time to reloading.

By the way, have anyone noticed that Yaks (at least the Yak-9) have no fuel meter?! Or am I missing something? Usually the fuel is no concern but sometimes it could be nice to know how much you have left - at least when you have gas pouring out of the bullet holes! The Yak-9 Range is something around 875 km /550 miles. But that would be with economic cruise. In combat, much less, maybe 30 to 50% range, I quess. Also, is the aircraft range actually a one way trip 875 km or "875 km and back", does anyone know?

Cheers,