Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Default The Bf109 non-ACE: tales from online...

At 3000 meters altitude it was easy to spot the Bf-109e7b as it approached co-alt because it chose to do so over heavy AAA installations, the tracers from the ground pointing it's location out plainly.

The Hurricane dodged the first pass and expected some big trouble, but to it's pilot's amazement the 109E started to turn hard for a second attack. The Hurricane does not do much well but one thing it can do is turn, especially when it has some altitude to work with. Unsurprisingly the Hurri pilot landed a few light snap shots on the 109, but the 109 continued it's hard-turning ways.
The Hurri pilot had to give the 109 pilot some credit, as he could barely keep up with the 109s maneuvers, he was doing a great job turning, just against the wrong opponent. Eventually they ended up using all their altitude and were down to ground level, the Hurri pilot pulled up hard into a near-stalling right-hand turn/climb and the 109 lost control trying to follow, stalled and fell to the ground, "enemy aircraft destroyed" flashed on the HUD of the Hurri pilot, and the 109E pilot immediately disconnected and left the server, oh well. The Hurri had taken a few hits but seemed to fly perfectly, luckily a hit had not landed on the engine..

After the 109E hit the ground another RED pilot said the Hurri pilot must be an ACE, as the 109 pilot that hit the ground had a reputation as being dangerous. The Hurri pilot replied that if the 109 pilot had been really good, he would have used the incredible speed advantage the 109E has over the Hurricane IIb to easily win the fight instead of trying to beat the Hurri at it's own game.

The 109 pilot had a few good tricks, but not the ones he should.

A look at a track of the fight later showed the 109E pilot superbly maneuvering and turning his aircraft at slow speeds, but with a pilot of equal ability, the low speed agility of the Hurricane could not be compensated for. Checking the server stats the alleged 109 experten was getting back to his base in one piece on less than half the sorties he flew, hopefully the fun he is having is making up for getting shot down so much, his disconnecting suggests otherwise. He may not know why he got shot down, but we do.

S!

Last edited by Jumoschwanz; 02-25-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: The title is miss-spelled!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Just to add some feed back. I like a lot your posts of this online episods. (i like this caind of reading, it is fun, and i can also learn something). I wish more people also posted theyr advetures.

Please keep posting!

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Approved Member

That bit about the AAA pointing the 109 out to the Hurricane reminded me of a mistake I made yesterday. I was in a full-switch online war server, flying a Yak-1 in 1941, near friendly ground troops. Got distracted by an enemy bomber in the distance, luckily on my last six-check before the attack I noticed our AAA going off co-alt behind me. A 109 was closing fast but the AAA got him smoking heavily so I just got out of his way and let him dive for home. I then noticed two more 109 F-2's bouncing me. I defended well for a few turns, got one to briefly stall and had a shot at the other, but they had advantages of altitude, numbers, and better planes, so they got me eventually.

Watching the replay, I realized how close I was to our AAA when they got me, the same AAA that smoked the first 109. The AAA is tough on that server; if I had thought to break away and run for its cover it would have likely hit them or scared them away. Lesson learned: be aware of not only where the enemy is but where help like AAA or friendly fighters might be, and in a losing fight try to find a good moment to run for it if you know help is close enough.

Last edited by Woke Up Dead; 02-19-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Approved Member

Good story Woke.

And Bolelas I have written paragraphs to go with most of the 40 videos on my YouTube channel if you ever get bored:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jumoschwanz/videos

The videos date back to 2003 when Forgotten Battles first let us save tracks.....

S!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Approved Member

Maybe the said 'ace' didn't use enough of the grey mush between the ears.

In combat with a better turning aircraft, if your aircraft has a better roll rate - this would be your primary offensive 'tool' .... otherwise you run.

It looks like the ace didn't use this..

Talking about movies.. some old stuff
1) On paper here.. I should have been mincemeat... doesn't always work that way
Cannot remember exactly - This in on a HSFX cross channel map server. Most people were flying med-high. I decided to skulk down low flying between the hills close to the targets.. waiting for a victim.
This is the 2nd time (in 15 minutes) I downed this fella.. so he knew I was around here when he came in again - he went for some R&R after this shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uobr63not6...on-v-FW190.avi (60MB)

2)Same server different map, a collection of scenes on one sortie.
Again keeping low and fast.. looking for a victim or DF to join.
Tactic works pretty well if you are patient and use the noggin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iltefdi67sefl4q/BigFWA.avi (50MB)

Last edited by K_Freddie; 02-20-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:37 AM
Approved Member

I would like to point out that nobody has to feel bad about how they fly online, feeling bad is a choice.

A lot of people, including myself have had lots of fun flying suicide ground attack missions, flying into furballs and attacking AAA at airfields.

If you enjoy completing missions then complete them, if you enjoy seeing how long you can last in furballs then do that.

I was on a server a bit ago and every time I tried to take off one field in a Mustang I was shot to pieces by one of three Bf109s that were sharking the base. I could have switched to a different airfield, but I thought it would be fun to keep trying to take off from the base and see if I could evade them and maybe even land a shot on one of them. A few times when they shot me up I was able to make crash landings back at the base, that was a little victory for me. I did the same thing on another server, getting shot up right after taking off in a Spitfire a few times, I kept at it and notified the others RED pilots that our base was being sharked and I got some help and ended up shooting one of the sharks down myself. So it cost me a few planes but I had fun and got some satisfaction I was looking for.

Years ago on Spits_vs_109s I used to fly lone wolf and did very well, but I had big odds against me as there were a few organized RED squadrons on it that I messed with in my Axis aircraft. I flew into a large formation of bombers and fighters once with my lone Bf109, just to see if I could pull off the impossible and foil their mission single handed. I did not do it, I got one bomber and one fighter, then someone shot one of my wings off and I was dead. The satisfaction came when one pilot that I shot down many times typed into the HUD "Ha Ha you did not get me this time.....
Old 02-21-2014, 05:45 AM
Approved Member

Essentially the way I look at games..
Always trying something different, perfecting it, if it works well enough.. 'going for broke' most times and most times managing to get back to base looking like a sieve with many pieces missing.
My biggest kick, as you say, is hitting on superior numbers and getting out of it.. somehow.

What I found very trying, is with others who wish to enforce 'their rules' of tactics and flying.. takes the fun out of it. Do this with an organised war map, fine.. but not all the time - it is a game after all.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Freddie View Post
it is a game after all.
True. Absolutely. And it is still fun after ~10 years. No other game has ever kept me that long. And I believe it may last for a while longer. Still eager to see the next patch and the things it will bring.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Approved Member

most fun I round I ever had in this game online was maybe with this one F4F wildcat vs zero map.

We did really good with American teamwork vs slightly better zeke fighters.

It felt like the American giant was really using his fist of wildcat fighter pounding the japanese zekes out of the sky. We used local superiority in numbers as well as constant boom and zoom attacks to demoralize the enemy.

(that is, as soon as we could climb from carrier, sometimes we had to defend in lufbery circles and thach weave near the carrier at lower alt, vs zeke attacks.)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurwin View Post
most fun I round I ever had in this game online was maybe with this one F4F wildcat vs zero map.
Sounds like a couple of maps on Skies of Valor, I had lots of fun flying the Wildcats the way you described too. Flying the zero against smart Wildcat pilots can be a fun challenge as well, they're smart enough to get that local number superiority you talk about, but in the Zero you can still stay on top of them and look for openings to swoop down.