Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Approved Member

This B25 has two instruments both with indicator lights, watch full screen.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelansir View Post
Gents,

We are getting off-topic here from the question.

This thread is not about ILS systems nor tutorials on landing as I am familiar with them in FS2004.

It is about a gauge that is in the B-25 in IL2 and what the yellow lamp means.

I have searched the internet for pictures of B-25 cockpits and have found none that show this gauge nor this lamp.

Ergo, my question.

I appreciate your interest though.
jameson, I thank your effort in finding that video. You must've scanned many YouTubes. However, I already know those gauges are called I-101 indicators and I cannot see any lamp lit or unlit.

Pfiel, I was hoping to hear from the TD members who developed this wonderful feature and give them their due credit and thanks.

I will continue to pursue the mystery of the "yellow lamp" in the B-25J introduced in version 4.10.

Thanks to all who read my thread.

Take care,

Freelansir
Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Approved Member

Last edited by jameson; 10-10-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: lost image somewhere
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Approved Member

I've marked them for you. They are clearly visible in the video full screen and highest resolution.

Last edited by jameson; 10-10-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: appearance of alien in garden
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Approved Member

Freelansir,
The essential point of the indicator light is given in the system's name "The Lorenz BLIND landing system". I.e. unlike your fs2004 picture the system was used when you cannot see anything out of the cockpit, it's dark or you are in cloud with a low base. Having reached your airfield via the homing beacon, when the lamp first lights you begin the glidepath descent to the runway. The second time it lights. and here's the good bit, if you cannot see the end of the runway it's time to get the wheels and flaps up and get the hell outa Dodge to go round and have another go!

I suggest that you download and read the release notes from the 4.10 patch available here:
http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...etails&id=3996
which is when these features were added to IL2. You will find the relevant info under New Navigational Objects. There are also some pdf's in the game's folder together with the game manual which contain lots of useful info.

See http://www.usaaf.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=197 for explanation of the systems used by USAF in England during WW2. From there this image, is this in the game? click on images to enlarge.

Anyone whose wishes to learn more can download the Army Airforces' WW2 Air Navigation Manual from here:
http://aafcollection.info/items/deta...!1!title!up!20

You can download it in parts. The one most relevant here is:

Section 4: Supplementing Dead-Reckoning by Radio
The Radio Line of Position: The instruments and their use; Obtaining the uncorrected radio bearing; Converting uncorrected radio bearing to radio line of position; The radio fix and log; Other radio and communication equipment in the aircraft.

Additional Radio Aids: Radio range stations; Marker beacons.

and this page the most,

At about at the war's end the first completely automatic landing took place in England and is the forerunner of the system in use today. Some of you may not know but nearly all civil flights are landed today by the aircraft's onboard computer which may or may not make you sleep easier

Last edited by jameson; 10-10-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: note to click on images
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Some of you may not know but nearly all civil flights are landed today by the aircraft's onboard computer which may or may not make you sleep easier
Can be landed under certain conditions not too often met true, are landed wrong. 13 years in airline, only a couple autolands (dozens in the sim though).

Thanks for links, some interesting read there
Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

At the risk of sounding irritated like a father talking to a wandering-mind child, this thread is about the simulation IL-2 1946 version with the feature "Realistic Navigation". Obviously I am using the feature. To suggest I get the patch insults my intelligence.

Being 71 years old my patience does have limits.

It is not about the real world. I repeat, it is not about the real world.

It is mentioned that my FS2004 flight is in the daytime. Of course it is ! As a CFI would you have a student take his first ILS lesson in bad weather or night time ?

Quote:
Instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) is an aviation flight category that describes weather conditions that require pilots to fly primarily by reference to instruments, and therefore under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), rather than by outside visual references under Visual Flight Rules (VFR). Typically, this means flying in cloud or bad weather. Pilots sometimes train to fly in these conditions with the aid of products like Foggles, specialized glasses that restrict outside vision, forcing the student to rely on instrument indications only.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrum...cal_conditions

So within the limits of IL-2 "Realistic Navigation" we have:

For the Luftwaffe:

For the USAAF:

I have confined myself to these limits.

I ask you to please do the same.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelansir View Post
Everything went smooth but I got a yellow light enroute to the target field. It looks like some kind of marker beacon. However it only blinked on briefly once. I understand the concept of Outer/Middle/Inner beacon markers.

So my question is, what in the world is the yellow light for ?
So without trying to insult your intelligence, or experience - you must admit you're sending us mixed messages or questions.

Everybody is trying to 'state/explain the obvious' or explain in simplistic terms, as the only indication of your time on IL2 (and maybe flying) is your post count (= 8, at the time of this post ). Being more precise and/or providing more self information, and or game experience, might lessen the 'insulting advice'.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Freddie View Post
So without trying to insult your intelligence, or experience - you must admit you're sending us mixed messages or questions.

Everybody is trying to 'state/explain the obvious' or explain in simplistic terms, as the only indication of your time on IL2 (and maybe flying) is your post count (= 8, at the time of this post ). Being more precise and/or providing more self information, and or game experience, might lessen the 'insulting advice'.
My post count is low because I read and listen to others. You should not take it as a measurement of experience.

However, the hours in flight simulators spans years of:

FS98
Combat Flight Simulator
Combat Flight Simulator 2
FS2000
FS2002
FS2004
FSX
IL-2 46 (I had IL-2 Sturmovik from 2001 but it didn't work on my machine)
Rise of Flight

From the 410 readme for those who haven't read it:

Quote:
The B-25 has ILS instrument which is much like the German counterpart, except that it's horizontal needle shows whether plane is above or below correct glide path. This instrument doesn't work with Lorenz beacon. It needs the Army Air Force Instrument Approach System beacon to work correctly.
That's all I'm going to contribute to this thread.

Take care
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

Well, my experience of flight started in 1980 (actually 1972 with my old man) and with flight sims in 1985.. and I will be contributing a lot more if necessary, to try help others
Have you forgotten Janes...

Last edited by K_Freddie; 10-11-2012 at 08:51 PM.