Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Global Moderator

Clickable cockpits

Used in Flight Simulators This way users actually get a feel for the aircraft they are flying by using the switches displayed in the cockpit. Also, because in many real aircraft of similar types there are alot of switches and gauges in cockpits that are very similar.

When I do MSFT FS I always just click the switches on the screen. I can't remember all the keystrokes. I just don't do Flight SImulator enough to make the effort I guess.

The clickable cockpits do seem to work pretty well in flight simulators, because users aren't under pressure to make something happen fast.

In Combat Flight Sims keystrokes are best, because users are usually under pressure to make something happen fast. Navigation and other tweaky stuff kinda gets put on the back burner when you're just trying to stay alive.

The IL2 series uses the same keystokes for same actions in different aircraft. So over time and use you are able to learn the keystrokes faster.

The only issue with that... if you move to another Combat Flight Sim the same keystrokes are not used.

I've not said anything that any experienced CFS or FS enthusiast doesn't know. It's just that this topic creeps into discussions several times a year and most of us CFS type users.... just don't Oleg to waste time trying to indulge everyone's fantasy and leave off the stuff we really need.

So, I doubt you'll get much support for clickable cockpits here.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Approved Member

I find start up procedure a "must have" for a sim that claims is going to be the more complex ever created. If latter the complete procedure will be used or not by the user is another matter. It is just a matter of doing of it an option in the difficulty settings.
Regarding the cockpit I find it quite inmersive as well, especially for thing like fuel selectors, primer, magnetos.....(so if you are going to have a complete start up procedure is very handy). Again, could be an option and not that hard to implement as Bob2 had it more than 6-8 year ago.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

I don't have to use mouse in Black Shark to be able to click the switches. Mouse cursor is always on the screen and when I am moving camera by using TrackIR, cursor is also moved with it. I only need to "look" at switch and press button of my HOTAS to emulate mouse click. It is easy, natural and way faster than removing hands from HOTAS and pressing keys in the keyboard. Would be nice to have the same in SoW.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Approved Member

There was a video on youtube with a guy using some sort of glove to touch the switches on Black Shark. Looked very impressive

Last edited by DD_crash; 01-29-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling orrror
Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Approved Member

As an option i think it is a good idea, then when you dont want it, just turn that option off simple..
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Approved Member

Clickpits are out for me. Never liked them in FSX.

Some added complexity such as fuel management, proper radiator and cowl flap management coupled with correct overheating/temperature models would be great IMHO.

A super complex engine start procedure is not high on my list, but, proper warm up definitely is. "Breaking the wire" (using War Emergency Power) should have correct limits, and consequences for not adhering to them.

And just why does every plane in the sim seem to have VR set at 170kph anyway?

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Approved Member

Default Must we wait longer....

If you want checklists, create each one:

1. Pre flight walkabout checklist
2. Pre Engine startup checklist
3. Warm up checklist
4. Pre taxi checklist
5. Pre take off checklist

make 5 clipboards and get your pens out. You already have this option. Do you already do this? No??? Once eack clip board is filled in, just start clicking your mouse the same number of times anywhere you want. There is your clickable virtual cockpit. No need to DELAY this past the current 2010 release.

Begging for additional limited programming and testing time will only delay the release. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE TIME on this option. Yes, this is my 2cents worth, but they already have to solve the VIRTUAL COCKPIT SMELL requirement to deliver on.

FLEAFLY is already working on the fully functional J TUBE...but will it be environmentally friendly, fully recyclable, self sustainable, and compatible with water cooled PC's (Even his new one someday)?

Clickable Flickable doo dads arrrggghhhh
Let the Flames begin...

FLYBY has already submitted C++ plans for real fire, smoke, and brimstone to fill your cockpits when you overload your clickable cockpits. Oh and he has a screen clickable fire extinguisher that is pooped out of your LCD into your lap so you can spray it all over the place and your clickable cockpits and clip boreds.

PEACES

Last edited by SPUDLEY1977; 01-30-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Approved Member

Wow, a lot of replies, seems clickables aren't too popular here. Coming from sims like Falcon 4 AF and DCS Black Shark, I think they can work very well, however I understand that WWII birds are far less complex. But I still think that clickable switches for functions that aren't used as much like fuel cocks, fuel primers, signal flares, bomb fusing panels, magenots etc. would work really well...and just because something is clickable, doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to bind it. Black Shark has around 500 actions to which you can bind keys...most of them are clickable too, and the Ka-50 cockpit is far more complex than anything that will be in Storm of War.

My real concern though is just how detailed the sim will be. IL2 is a lot of fun and for it's age has held up extremely well, but it's not really a sim...it's closer to Air Quake. I hope there are improvements in areas like engine management, computer AI, radio (LoS for transmissions, atmospheric interference, jamming etc.), ground-based direction for fighters from observer/radar info (huge part of the battle)...the list goes on. If it's just more 'press i and go full throttle', then it's just more Air Quake really, with nicer graphics. I think more detailed simulation of aircraft in Storm of War would also make the sim more attractive to the hardcore simmer crowd as well, especially with the MS flight sim studio folding, which could mean more market volume for Maddox Games. Scalability in the options could still accommodate the "press i and fly' crew, but for hard core simmers the more realistic flight options would be there too. I can picture it now, the MS flight sim guys are all flying He-111's, just waiting for an eight gun spit to give them what for
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Approved Member

I think clicking controls with the mouse on the screen is less realistic that using a keyboard for the same affect.

End of the day, none of it is too realistic is it?

CS.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Approved Member

I would enjoy more complexity, hate the mouse thing thow, but binding to key's would be nice. The very first thing I was tought, once inside the cockpit, was to set the altimeter gauge. Having complexity switch for off-line use would make me happy.

I think sims should evolve to as close to real as possible, that's what a sim is

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 01-30-2009 at 09:54 AM.