Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Approved Member

Default SOW: your thoughts on clickable cockpits and realistic start-up

Hi all,

I had a couple of questions about SOW, namely options of clickable cockpits and a full start-up routine. I know Oleg has posted indicating that he will not be implementing either in SOW (not sure if the option will be there for 3rd party mods).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
Why don't know?... some 5-6 years ago I was asking on the forums... and real pilots...
Voting of hardcore players - 1 per 100-120...
Voting of pilots - want all, but only for one time test of interest. Then will switch it off...

Also... I remeber some developers of other sims were on the way to make start up complex... Where their sims? Even with not precise start up for each aircraft modelled they were bankrupt... and the projects and companies were closed sold , etc...
I won't such situation with me. I want the long life of the new series and to get commercial success... or for what I'm so hard working?

For the MS FS fans third party developers we will offer in time many things... So we will probably grab their attention very well... Experience of MS FS is good sample, and at the same time with MS CFS - bad sample...
So we will have our own way that to get attention of both alternative-opposite groups of users, creators, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
Joystick is a _must be_ device for the flight sim. In all other cases with the other devices the FM must be simplified and it will be in BoB for the possibility to play with gamepad for example. Except special flight sim devices like bomber control column wheels, etc... But it is another story...

Notice: However if you are playing with gamepade or other similar device and then connect the online server where all other plays with the joystics (settings on the server) then you automatically will get the switch to normal FM... and possibly will be not able to play with others on the same level of aircraft control, like with at least Joystick.

my personal opinion as well as all pilots that I know and was asking specially for this item, all tell that clickable cockpit by the mouse is Ok for the the civil aircraft (say such funtctions like levers, wheels, etc), but anyway it isn't even comparable to the real life precise of hand movement... Say, pedals also clickable?
Mapping on the device or even keyboard is more close to real life than to make all things clickbale/moveable by the mouse. Especially in military aircraft....
Some reealtive sample: I would be glad to see how some will be control aircraft by the joyistick and then by the mouse simultaniosly clicking on the fire button on the control column in 3D cockpit. This sample I give only as realtive. But it is easy to understand in comparison...
I've been playing DCS: Black Shark a lot lately and I think the implementation of both clickable cockpits and a realistic start-up procedure in that sim are excellent and prove that it can be done successfully. I realise that WWII era aircraft are a great deal simpler than modern aircraft, however I think some cockpit elements (magnetos, fuel tank selectors etc.) could be implemented as being clickable (as well as having key bindings) and would make the sim more immersive. As for complex start-up, I know that it may not be suitable for online play, however I think it would really enhance the sim for those of us who mainly fly offline. There can always be a simple, one-key start-up or option to spawn with the engine running for those who want it.

What do you guys think? Should SOW implement clickable cockpits and realistic start-ups?

Cheers
Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

If they had the time to implement it then that would be great for the people that would wish to use it but IMO it is not required (note that is just my opinion).

Having flown in reality the thought of using a a mouse and pointing and clicking on something to make it work is rather unrealistic.
Surely physically pressing a button on a keyboard or joystick is more realistic than fiddling around pointing at something with a mouse and clicking?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Approved Member

Not for me thanks

Nothing realistic about "clickpits" at all.

On the question of complex/full/realistic (however you want to term this) start up procedure, surely this will have to extend to the aircraft's performance from cruise to combat also, at present ALL aircraft simply roll/dive/bank from full cruise to combat, a lot of aircraft required fuel balancing trim adjustments and other engine fuel mixture adjustment before simply yanking the stick and diving at your enemy.
Landing procedures should also be made "realistic" instead of the point and slap it in approach I've seen and done .

If you are going to do "realistic" do it all the way through.............

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cue the clickpit brigade

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 01-29-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Approved Member

Its a decent idea but how many would actually use it and how much more time spent developing it will the clickable cockpits add to the over due sim?

Flyingbullseye
Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Approved Member

Black Shark has only one cockpit right?

Chiz::
Quote:
What do you guys think?
At the top of this thread, there are two long quotes explaining this. Read them and you will figure it out.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

I am not interested in using mouse for clickable cockpit. I think Oleg has the right approach.

Happy landings,

Talisman
Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Approved Member

"clickpits" are useless to me and I'm in accord with Alpha on this one too. If you want to make "complete" CEM a part of it, then that's cool. Having some additional toggle switches to enable certain aspects would be fun IMO. Besides, difficulty settings are set server-side anyway and if it's not done well (or too cumbersome for most) it could just be turned off.

I'm all for adding more elements of realism to CEM, but that aspect mostly appeals to the FSX crowd than to the average WWII virtual combat pilot. If shifting COG is modeled as fuel is burned and ordnance/ammo is used instead of just overall weight, then that would be a nice touch as well.

I wouldn't say no to having complete CEM modeled to its limits and having the ability to implement different aspects as collective pilot ability increases, but having it only on a single "on/off" switch would be too much for the vast majority IMO.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

For me the cockpit doesn´t have to be clickable.
What i want is a more realistic engine management and that includes the starting procedure.
It will bring more immersion and would also, by chance, keep away the "join, throttle to 100%, start run in which direction the plane is pointing at this time - player"
Also it should be felt if you abuse your engine (too hot, too cold, too much rpm)
With the really complex engine management the different workload for the pilots would be simulated at last.
And if that is implemented it could also be clickable, for those who like it.

Last edited by robtek; 01-29-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: adding thougts
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

I don't find clickable cockpits usefull or immersive, But being able to map the Magneto's Fuelcock's, Primer's and Ingine start button to my Hotas very usefull and immersive.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

Agree with Chivas and robtek. Today, with IL-2, all the planes work the same way. Engine on, full power, and go. That´s no realistic at all, and have a bad and negative effects on pilots.
If, for example, the pilots must set the mixture before starting the engine, gives another depth to simulation.