Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Default il2 1946 4.08m vs radeon hd3850

Hi!

I have that videocard as in title, with 512mb ram, a64 x2 4400+, 2gb ddr2 800.
But i have poor fps in game. In the most of scenarios, i get maximum 50fps(what is not too high for this card), even if i turn down graphics to minimum, from maximum, and sometimes it drops below 20 fps, what is very annoying. But in some scenarios, like those single pacific island(there is a little island, japan base, and the usn attacking from aircraft carriers) carreer missions, my fps is between 30 and 10 fps, what is very low, if i set graphics to minimum, i can only get +10 fps, what is still not enough.

In opengl mode, this performance is more poor, so im playing in dx mode.

Sometimes it looks like it's slower than on my old athlon xp 3100+, 1gb ddr400, radeon9600pro config, what is really weird.

With my machine i can play oblivion, stalker, armed assault, with maximum setting, with 16AF, and with some aa, so i don't understand why il2 running so slow.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

Do you have catalyst AI turned on? Make sure its off if otherwise. Check to make sure that you uninstalled the old driver, its a common mistake that's easy to overlook. Best thing to do is try the easy stuff first then work your way up. Good luck.

Flyingbullseye
Old 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Approved Member

You got to remember that iL2 is more affected by your CPU speed then your videocard... So great video card combined with a low end CPU = low FPS... And great CPU with average GPU can equal high FPS...

I know their is a way to make iL2 run smoother on multicore CPU... its a value to set in the conf.ini file... I just don't remember which it is..

Finally, look up Coesties guide on how to setup ATI cards... this should yield some good improvement...

Last edited by Zoom2136; 08-29-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Now i turned off catalyst ai, then texture compression. Now it runs much better in opengl mode, but it's not enough yet. There are some checkboxes in setup, but i don't know what they're doing.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyigz View Post
Hi!

I have that videocard as in title, with 512mb ram, a64 x2 4400+, 2gb ddr2 800.
But i have poor fps in game. In the most of scenarios, i get maximum 50fps(what is not too high for this card), even if i turn down graphics to minimum, from maximum, and sometimes it drops below 20 fps, what is very annoying. But in some scenarios, like those single pacific island(there is a little island, japan base, and the usn attacking from aircraft carriers) carreer missions, my fps is between 30 and 10 fps, what is very low, if i set graphics to minimum, i can only get +10 fps, what is still not enough.

In opengl mode, this performance is more poor, so im playing in dx mode.

Sometimes it looks like it's slower than on my old athlon xp 3100+, 1gb ddr400, radeon9600pro config, what is really weird.

With my machine i can play oblivion, stalker, armed assault, with maximum setting, with 16AF, and with some aa, so i don't understand why il2 running so slow.
There is a setting in your config file called Processaffinity... Make sure you delete the ; in front of it and set it to =0. If you go in there and have that ; the game is trying to run across both cores and it literally cuts your performance in half.

Not that you have the most powerful CPU in the world but it should be plenty for running this game.

What Resolution are you running in? Also you should be running this game in openGL as you will get better performance and given your card you should have no problems running in Perfect mode.

Given your description its not a Video card or driver issue. Your older 3100+ has no issue because its not dual core like your X2.

This should fix it
Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

Which driver version?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Approved Member

Hi M8

I have the same card I think! HD3850 AGP 512?

I also get poor frames in il2 but even worse my frames jump from 50-60fps to 4fps every time it gets a bit busy! When I say a bit busy i meas 6-7 planes flying about. I originally thought it was my PSU so I bought a new corsair TX750. Still the same issue! Tried all different drivers and cleaned the drivers and reg as best possible. Tried all drivers available including driver that was just released on 26/08 this was even worse! Had issues installing driver and when forced it to install I got psychedelic colors. All chipset drivers are up-to-date MSI Neo2 plat ed. Only thing I've not tried is changing my bios. Even this was only updated 3-4 months ago. Currently using my old card until a driver is released that actually works or I'll send this card back claiming it's faulty. It's not though I've played BF2 with max settings 1280x1024 getting between 98-100fps.

also if I use the ATI traytool and try to underclock the card I get a BSOD claiming there's a prob with one of the ATI files. (happens with all drivers)

If I have any brake through i'll let you know.

This all looks to me like crap drivers or drivers not designed to play older games.

Mike
Old 08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

I set processaffinity, to 0 maybe there is a little more performance, but still the minimum fps is at 18fps in some pacific island carreer missions, what is very annoying when drops to it.
If i turn on shader 3 water, then the minimum fps drops more, to about 10 fps.
And if there are a lots of bullets flying near me (fe AA ship, or aircraft carrier ship anti aircraft defence), sometimes i can see various colored squares near the

I'm use catalyst 8.8.

I have pcie 3850
Old 08-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Approved Member

If the mission involves a carrier and a defensive fleet around it firing at maximum firing capability (its possible in the mission builder to set how often ships will fire) then thats enough physics calculations to bring any CPU to their knees. At this point your graphics card is waiting around for the CPU to complete calculations...so the FPS drops.

Run the track called 'blackdeath.ntrk' and record the FPS start the finish. Write down the lows, average, and high. Let us know.

You have a slightly older CPU paired with a very fast graphics card. You're likely CPU constrained.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyigz View Post
I set processaffinity, to 0 maybe there is a little more performance, but still the minimum fps is at 18fps in some pacific island carreer missions, what is very annoying when drops to it.
If i turn on shader 3 water, then the minimum fps drops more, to about 10 fps.
And if there are a lots of bullets flying near me (fe AA ship, or aircraft carrier ship anti aircraft defence), sometimes i can see various colored squares near the

I'm use catalyst 8.8.

I have pcie 3850
Okay another little trick is to turn off the 3dgunners... They eat up a ton of CPU and considering you're running an ATI card you should be on water=2 in open GL.

What resolution are you running and what settings on the video card for AA and AF?

BTW it's normal for your machine to slow down with that much AAA.