Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama View Post
The fact you don't believe don't make it less true.... as I invited you to verify your saying IRL (offering you free accomodation and the flight), you may also verify with your own meter the distance from my eyes to the screen on my PC setting.
since you bought the pc and monitor and use it in the privacy of your own home, you can use it whatever way you like, but it is not the normal or intended viewing distance for a 22' lcd so you cant generalize that a 1 meter viewing distance is "normal" for other il2 users with a 22' lcd screen.

what i did suggest you'd try, is in il2 set your FoV correctly while you sit at the "normal" viewing distance that this type of monitor is intended to be used at (and similar to what most other lcd users would be viewing it from), say roughly 50 or 60 cm distance between your eyes and the screen, and then compare it to what you see in real life.

presuming your monitor is correctly calibrated, you will find that il2 objects (trucks/tanks/planes) when seen at 1500 meters distance against the textures of a ground terrain background, are nearly impossible to locate, identify or track, compared to what you can see in real life with the naked eye from the same distance (and as is extensively documented from historical accounts by pilots in ww2).

the main reason for this problem in il2, and some other games, is that in il2 the 2e and 3e LoD models might look pretty when looked at full screen in a grafix editor, but when they are shrunk down to the correct sizes the same object will be seen at from 1000 or 1500 meters, then the flat 2D object they are on a pc monitor will cause them to blend in WAY to much with the background terrain textures.

and no, i dont believe that you are flying il2 while having it set to 30 FoV most of the time, the tunnel vision it creates is to disorienting to fly like that, you cant keep track of the other planes in your flight, or your position on the map, the ground target you are hunting for, or the enemy planes in your vicinity. whatever monitor people are using in il2, the expectation would be that you then set the "correct FoV" for your screensize, and then see the il2 in-game objects in the il2 virtual world exactly as you would see them in real life (since this is claimed to be a simulator, not arcade game). you can then briefly snap to a wider or more narrow FoV when so needed, but that would only be for brief moments.

Quote:
funny....
Who do you say is doing this "just for the sake of arguing" ???
there are 3 things that happen when you set your il2 FoV to an artificially enlarged view setting like you are doing, and are using a 30 FoV and then also have your eyes closer to the monitor then the "correct" 90 cm distance,
- first the il2 in game objects will be seen as much larger on screen (because your zoom factor is larger at 30 then at 45 or 50 FoV and those objects will be a physically bigger )
- secondly, if your normal viewing distance should be 91 cm for a 30 FoV on a 22' lcd, and you are then really viewing those il2 in-game objects at 50% the screen distance you are quoting (which i think you are doing here just for the sake of arguing that visibility in il2 is correct), this closer screen viewing distance will then magnify those objects 2x in size compared to what the rest of us see. so yes, you even leaning a 10cm closer then the 91cm you quoted will significantly increase object size and visibility.
- thirdly, changing the FoV setting (using a smaller setting then "normal" for your screen size) will also affect the LoD model transition distances, so you might well be looking at a much larger object like a 2e LoD model while other il2 users here might see a much less detailed and smaller 3e LoD model for ex, or you might be looking at a 3e LoD model and other players might be seeing a "dot" (we'd need to know the exact transition distances for LoD models, and LoD to dot transition distances, to see if that is applicable here for the 1500m objects)

Quote:
Anyway... you have a formal invitation so you can confront both IRL and in the game your sayings to mine... it's just up to you...
thx for the invitation, at the moment i think it would be much more simple for you to try and sit at the more correct closer distance from your monitor, set the correct larger FoV in il2, and then while flying at 1500 meters in il2 (being aware of keeping your eye to screen distance constant), compare how easy/hard it is to spot those trucks/tanks/planes on the ground compared to real life.

Last edited by zapatista; 07-25-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
while flying at 1500 meters in il2 (being aware of keeping your eye to screen distance constant), compare how easy/hard it is to spot those trucks/tanks/planes on the ground compared to real life.
As I allready said, I've allready done this.
Stopping the argument there. If you want to know, you have my invitation.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Approved Member

Meanwhile, those Hurricanes seem to have vanished from view. The flight of Emils is desperately trying to relocate them. Suddenly number 4's engine brews up with white smoke streaming back. He rolls inverted and leaves his plane. Fight's on! Then there's that damned little red light!
Flyby out
Old 07-26-2008, 05:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista
try it for yourself, sit at a normal distance (say 60 or 50 cm) from your 22' lcd, set the il2 in-game FoV to the correct setting for you (insert: ie a FoV of 50 or 45 in your case with a 22' lcd), then fly at 1500 meters over a map that has some single tanks or trucks place in a field, a small collum of trucks on a road, or a single aircraft placed on a grassy strip. you will NOT be able to spot them or track them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama
Allready did... no problems for me. Even at higher altitudes than 1500m (in game).
and i still dont believe you, maybe when you use a 30 FoV and sit 1/2 the correct distance from your monitor for that FoV setting (ie viewing the screen from 45 cm with a 30 Fov on a 22' lcd), because then you have introduced an additional artificial 4x magnification.

neither do i believe you that you can fly il2 in a 30 FoV most of the time and use the flightsim in the normal manner it is intended (getting airborne, locating ground targets and strafing/bombing them, locating/identifying/tracking/engaging/combat-maneuvering with enemy aicraft, map reading, and returning to airbase with landing)

Quote:
As I allready said, I've allready done this.
Stopping the argument there. If you want to know, you have my invitation.
up your invitation to include the plane ride down there and you have a deal. any flight over 4 hrs has to be business class i am afraid, same as work related travel for me under normal conditions

i do visit friends sometimes in aix en provence or prades (in the pyrenees), so who knows one day i might be in the area.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99th_Flyby View Post
Meanwhile, those Hurricanes seem to have vanished from view. The flight of Emils is desperately trying to relocate them. Suddenly number 4's engine brews up with white smoke streaming back. He rolls inverted and leaves his plane. Fight's on! Then there's that damned little red light!
Flyby out
i am really looking forward to BoB, but untill there are more details about features and improvements, we can only speculate on how realistic that scenario will be.

has oleg even confirmed we will get real size maps ? right now most maps in il2 are scaled down to reduce flying time to target. additionally you'd need to have varying fuel consumption with the aircraft being flown with different engine settings (mixture, rpm, headwind/tailwind, heat, altitude etc), which i dont think is the case now.

Last edited by zapatista; 07-26-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Approved Member

IIRC,and it was years ago LOL,Oleg said there would be an 'online' map and a realistic map.I could be wrong of course.
For some reason he thinks a lot of people want quick arcade furballs instead of a long flight with time spent forming up,getting into formation,and flying for 40 minutes to get to target!
Even one of the unofficial maps for il2 will involve an 8 hour flight across Europe and back.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Approved Member

I know what you mean, Uther. I once made a coop mission over the Pacific. It would have lasted over an hour, but everyone got tired of just flying along to the target, a nd left. But surely someone will want to recreate the full realism of taking off, forming up and flying to the target area. I'd like to do it, but it would make for a bad coop if the Luftwaffe had to do all that to fly to the combat area while the RAF had to sit and wait for the "scramble!" alert. Still, it would make for a nice coop for the hardcore... Will probably be a bad idea to do so on a belly full of beer though!
Flyby out
Old 07-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
neither do i believe you that you can fly il2 in a 30 FoV most of the time.../...
I never said "most of the time", I said I switch when needed... (and have no problems switching quicklly to scan alternativelly the sky around and the ground below).

Quote:
i do visit friends sometimes in aix en provence or prades (in the pyrenees), so who knows one day i might be in the area.
Drop me a PM when you have the opportunity... I'll send my coordinates in return.