Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Approved Member

Default Hickups In il2? , BoB WoV 2

Zup guys ,

I've been playing frequently online last month with IL2 and its just a blast , so fun and it's an stunning game which was way ahead of it's time especially by damage models.

Anyway i tend to get hickups but still not.. the sounds dosnt hickup and it dosnt really freeze it seems more like an Online update from the server, i thought i should ask if anyone else gets that?, Elsewell it's probably graphic settings i messed around abit in the Cfg putting most to 3 i think.

System im running is ; Quad e6600 , 2024mb ddr2 , 8800GTS 512mb

Oh yeah and btw , Battle of Britain Wings of Victory looks very beautiful juding from videos.. but hows the gameplay? and compared to IL2 i can't ever ,ever imagine it would be more detailed or realistic but... still is it good enough to give it a try? Would be fun with some updated particle effects etc, since IL2 dosnt really have it.

// virre over n out
Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Approved Member

Something you can try is to scroll through the airplane list before you start to let your computer preload all the aircraft models. If you don't your computer will give a stutter when it loads an aircraft it hasn't yet seen.

I'm running the same setup as you though, and I'm not getting any hickups. So it might be something else.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Approved Member

Try to DISABLE the Thread Optimization in the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings.Il2 is not optimized for multicore processors!!! It stutters when that option is activated or in automatic!!!!

Bob Wov is a good game, graphics and damage model inferior imo to Il2, and has NO online gaming support...thats the reason it didnt take off ever!

But it worths to give a look at!

Last edited by Deovis; 05-27-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Approved Member

Thats very sad that it dosnt have multiplayer support.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

BoB:WoV is a good sim. Don't discount it because it's an older game. The folks working on it have done a smashing job (and even now continue to improve the game).

Both IL2 and BoB:WoV have their strengths and weaknesses. They both deserve space on a simulator fan's hard drive.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
BoB:WoV is a good sim. Don't discount it because it's an older game. The folks working on it have done a smashing job (and even now continue to improve the game).

Both IL2 and BoB:WoV have their strengths and weaknesses. They both deserve space on a simulator fan's hard drive.
+1

IL-2 is a better sim in most respects but if your a Battle of Britain fan, BOB WOV is a must have.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Approved Member

Il2 just has so many planes and a very good mission builder it wins hands down. But WoV is still a must have if you like WW2 flight sims. I upgraded to a 8800gt 512mb (and trashed the computer with a sloppy bios flash) So I looked for some good settings to use and found this openGL ini file. It works well for me, but your processor is a bit better so at least this might be a good starting place

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1
HardwareShaders=1
Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3
Sky=2
Forest=2

Copy that and past it over your conf.ini file in your Il2 folder (after making a backup of course). It got rid of my stutters and looks good enough that I stopped messing with it.
I got that from someone on SimHQ and failed to note it or I would give them credit. I am assuming you are using open GL and if your not you ought to with that system.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

I can't remember who posted this idea, I'm quite certain it helps my low spec system though. After Il2fb is running hit the windows key to get back to the desktop, open taskmanager and then set il2fb.exe in the process-section to run in realtime instead of normal. Also il2fb runs smoother on 1 core in a multi core system, you probably have that set already though.
I haven't tried this online before, only while offline with no other programs running, so maybe experimenting will be necessary.

Last edited by ManicGibber; 05-27-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Approved Member

Firstly disable skin downloads which I am sure you have done already.
Secondly utilise the beta dlls, you will find them about two pages down, they really help the 8800's shine.

As for the stutter, if you play online you will get it everytime someone joins the server. So playing with a few friends on a small server you should see very little or no stutter.
Play on a big server with hundreds of players and you will get the micro-stutters I think you are reffering to.
Doing the above helps but unfortunatelly i have never found anyone who has completely got rid of them.
The reason I can state it is when a player joins is because we have test on our small server with a maximium of say 20 player, once they are all logged in their are no stutters.
It is only when someone joins for the first time that it stutters.
ADW is a classic case as you have it because players get a death kick and have to re-login after the 5 minute death kick has expired.
As far as I know it has nothing to do with plane models at all. Purely the server updating your computer about a new player joining the game.
Hope this has been of help.
My specs
Core 2 duo e6600
2g ram
8800gt
Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Approved Member

thanks guys