Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Cool, I'm glad you are feeling better...Friday will be a good day!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

What everyonelse said and: WOOOOOHOOOO.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
71st_Mastiff

Hi Oleg, glad you and your son are well. I too was out sick with you name it; first started off with very serious sinus infection got better, then a week later I get the flue..

Then get better then I get hurt at work..

But that lasted a good 4 weeks..

Now I too am better, and look forward to your update, god speed..
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

OMG!!! Oleg is real person!? Thanks for replay.

PS: I will start to whine after one week again.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Approved Member

Good news!

Now, what am I going to do with my sig?
I'll keep it for a couple of more weeks, just in case..

Skarphol
Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Approved Member

wauu good news
Old 10-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

Now that's great news to hear you're back on your feet.

Oh, and of course great to hear we have some news on BoB incoming

Best wishes.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the quick update, Oleg. Sorry to hear you were sick and I hope it wasn't anything too serious. Looking forward to Friday.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Approved Member

I agree with Oleg on the good pilot, though some aircraft are unbelieveably exceptional in maneuverability (I-16, Brewster B-239 Buffalo, I-153, Gloster J8A, CR-42, Avia B-534, etc.) when compared to the competition.

Despite advantages, history tells of ariel masacres with inexperienced rookie pilots and combat virgins, usually outnumbered, in major air battles, such as "Midway", "Singapore", etc.

I always fly the US Navy B-339 Buffalo in "Battle Stations Pacific" as it totally out performs the Zero, Oscar, etc. except in climbs. Of course the infamous sudden engine power loss, oil leaks over the windscreen when using WEP, gun electrical system failures, etc. isn't included in BSP, so I'm able to fly the Buffalo in its idealised form.... basically the Finnish version in US Navy colours.

My approach in all air combat simulators, and I've been virtual flying since Red Baron I, so I follow the following rules:

(1) Familiarise and learn to fly a particular aircraft well BEFORE using it in combat. This may involve reading up about how real aces exploited this particular aircraft's foiboles and characteristics, strengths and weaknesses.

(2) Practice and evaluate how well the aircraft performs the various maneuvers and stunts you'll be using in dogfights.

(3) Treat a dogfight as a "Rock, Paper, Scissors" game. It is no good basing a strategies and moves on factors your opponent's aircraft excells in and yours really sucks. Instead exploit your aircraft's advantages. For instance, the Buffalo will out turn ALL Soviet, Japanese and Allied fighters, has a very high roll and pitch rate, dives like a brick. On the negative side, it has an excessive dive recovery radius, climbs like an asmatic Elephant and in IL-2 1946, may have engine reliability problems. Needless to say, guess which abilities I exploit to the maximum.

(4) Stay relaxed and in control of the dogfight throughout, even when the opponent is behind you or appears to have the upper hand. In fact, if the opponent believes that he is "winning" he will become over confident and fall easily into traps, such as "Cutting The Turn", "Scissors", "Rolling Scissors", "Retournment" and "Retrograde Loops".

(5) Never underestimate your opponent. Even some clueless rookies can have flashes of brilliance, pull a surprise stunt and get lucky. Also not all folks flying like "Rookies" are really rookies, you may be about to be suckered by an ace.

(6) Read up everything you can on the air of ariel combat, especially the exploitsand tactics of the WW1 and WW2 aces, as much can be learnt that is useful.

(7) Improve your marksmanship. Ending up with a firing solution opportunity is worthless if you keep missing. Always lead a target well ahead an bring the stream of fire back towards him. If he climbs, he will pass straight through it. It is also possible to "herd" an opponent with well aimed bursts over the cockpit.

( Always fly erratically and unpredicably so as to confuse anyone attempting to take an surprise shot at your aircraft. Never fly straight and level whilst looking for a new victim, as you might just be about to become someone else's.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzergranate View Post
I agree with Oleg on the good pilot, though some aircraft are unbelieveably exceptional in maneuverability (I-16, Brewster B-239 Buffalo, I-153, Gloster J8A, CR-42, Avia B-534, etc.) when compared to the competition.

Despite advantages, history tells of ariel masacres with inexperienced rookie pilots and combat virgins, usually outnumbered, in major air battles, such as "Midway", "Singapore", etc.

I always fly the US Navy B-339 Buffalo in "Battle Stations Pacific" as it totally out performs the Zero, Oscar, etc. except in climbs. Of course the infamous sudden engine power loss, oil leaks over the windscreen when using WEP, gun electrical system failures, etc. isn't included in BSP, so I'm able to fly the Buffalo in its idealised form.... basically the Finnish version in US Navy colours.

My approach in all air combat simulators, and I've been virtual flying since Red Baron I, so I follow the following rules:

(1) Familiarise and learn to fly a particular aircraft well BEFORE using it in combat. This may involve reading up about how real aces exploited this particular aircraft's foiboles and characteristics, strengths and weaknesses.

(2) Practice and evaluate how well the aircraft performs the various maneuvers and stunts you'll be using in dogfights.

(3) Treat a dogfight as a "Rock, Paper, Scissors" game. It is no good basing a strategies and moves on factors your opponent's aircraft excells in and yours really sucks. Instead exploit your aircraft's advantages. For instance, the Buffalo will out turn ALL Soviet, Japanese and Allied fighters, has a very high roll and pitch rate, dives like a brick. On the negative side, it has an excessive dive recovery radius, climbs like an asmatic Elephant and in IL-2 1946, may have engine reliability problems. Needless to say, guess which abilities I exploit to the maximum.

(4) Stay relaxed and in control of the dogfight throughout, even when the opponent is behind you or appears to have the upper hand. In fact, if the opponent believes that he is "winning" he will become over confident and fall easily into traps, such as "Cutting The Turn", "Scissors", "Rolling Scissors", "Retournment" and "Retrograde Loops".

(5) Never underestimate your opponent. Even some clueless rookies can have flashes of brilliance, pull a surprise stunt and get lucky. Also not all folks flying like "Rookies" are really rookies, you may be about to be suckered by an ace.

(6) Read up everything you can on the air of ariel combat, especially the exploitsand tactics of the WW1 and WW2 aces, as much can be learnt that is useful.

(7) Improve your marksmanship. Ending up with a firing solution opportunity is worthless if you keep missing. Always lead a target well ahead an bring the stream of fire back towards him. If he climbs, he will pass straight through it. It is also possible to "herd" an opponent with well aimed bursts over the cockpit.

( Always fly erratically and unpredicably so as to confuse anyone attempting to take an surprise shot at your aircraft. Never fly straight and level whilst looking for a new victim, as you might just be about to become someone else's.

Ummm, er, ok....I guess your glad Oleg is back too.