Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Approved Member

Default additional button options

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
How do these Tarmac Ace controllers interface with IL2? IOW, is there any programming software that comes with these devices? I absolutely love the look of these controllers, but going from all of my buttons and modes on my CH setup could be a scary proposition.
Concerning buttons for flight simulation..............

I fly with the full line of CH-products. I have a small space between my Fighterstick and throttle. Not quite enough room for a keyboard.

I do not like using my CH product buttons for certain things, such as the many possible flight and wingman commands.

I ordered me an X-key Professional yesterday it is about 9"x 8" and will fit perfectly in my cockpit right there between my Fighterstick and throttle.

http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys/xkpro.php

Comes with programming software for keystrokes and macros, also software and templets for labeling each button.

This could be a possible solution (58 keys should be enough) for the lack of buttons if using tarmac equipment.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windturbin View Post
Concerning buttons for flight simulation..............

I fly with the full line of CH-products. I have a small space between my Fighterstick and throttle. Not quite enough room for a keyboard.

I do not like using my CH product buttons for certain things, such as the many possible flight and wingman commands.

I ordered me an X-key Professional yesterday it is about 9"x 8" and will fit perfectly in my cockpit right there between my Fighterstick and throttle.

http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys/xkpro.php

Comes with programming software for keystrokes and macros, also software and templets for labeling each button.

This could be a possible solution (58 keys should be enough) for the lack of buttons if using tarmac equipment.
X Keys could be a solution (or CH's rough equivalent with their MFP). Funny thing is, with my CH setup (throttle, throttle quad, fighterstick, plus TrackIR), I am able to shoehorn in all the commands I need for IL2, including flight, wingman, and ground control commands. I would really have to think long and hard about moving to a combination MFP / flightstick / throttle combination with these Tarmac Ace controllers. It's such a tough decision, because I really do like my CH setup, but I just love the look of those TA controllers.

Ah, decisions, decisions...
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
It's such a tough decision, because I really do like my CH setup, but I just love the look of those TA controllers.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

No one said you'd have to get rid of your CH stuff. If you're able, and not remorseful at spending on this stuff, I'd say get them.

I'll live vicariously for now.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Approved Member

Feuerfalke, I want to thank you for posting the X52 mod. I tried it, and so far I'm impressed with the precision, after tightening up the top of the stick with tape (I dont use the twist, anyway), there is 0 movement without the sensors picking it up. I also modified the trigger, by removing the tip of the plunger for the first stage and bending the lever for the second stage just a bit, now the takeup is at the beginning of the triggers' travel, and the transition from guns, to guns and cannons is smooth as silk.

Thanks again, M8
Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Approved Member

You're welcome, BA.

I'm glad you like it, too.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Approved Member

I just took a look at the video clip of the "Tarmac" at work and I have to admit it is a very nice bit of work... I still think that its priced way out of reach for the average enthusiast (or even the virtual ace that is willing to go the extra mile) but if that is the lowest you can go then its just too bad for the rest of us... very nice.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

I'm also curious about the non-centering. . .does it stay where you left it (ie not center) even at flight speeds?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-EcoDragon View Post
I'm also curious about the non-centering. . .does it stay where you left it (ie not center) even at flight speeds?
yes, it operates in just that fashion- there is no change in the 'damping force' with speed (or any other ingame parameter)..

there is rumour of some sort of 'force management' in the works but it's working fine for me i find it very immersive and very precise.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolox View Post
yes, it operates in just that fashion- there is no change in the 'damping force' with speed (or any other ingame parameter)..

there is rumour of some sort of 'force management' in the works but it's working fine for me i find it very immersive and very precise.

Hmm. . .I'd hoped I'd missunderstood that. While it would be great to avoid any centering mechanism that introduced transition flats, or a springy feel to the travel, to be realistic, there needs to be some sort of centering mechanism, ideally one that is speed (and aircraft type) sensitive.

Thanks for the info!

[Edit]I now see the statement on the website "Innovative technologies for forces management and the realistic reproduction of the sensations of a real device (no return to zero)".

While it's true that an aircraft on the ground has no return to center, in flight it most certainly does. This is not an artifact of computer joysticks. In flight these forces are very evident to the pilot, and perhaps one of the single most unrealistic aspect of computer joysticks is the lack of significant stick forces during times when there should be high stick forces. . .often in the 30-40 pound range, and sometimes more. So based on the statements on the website, it would seem that the stick is not being tested by pilots, as this "feature" would not be touted as a realistic aspect - because it isn't!

It looks like such an awesome project, so it would be a shame to not quite go the distance towards a truly realistic joystick.

If you want a tester, you know where to find me!

Last edited by TX-EcoDragon; 07-25-2008 at 08:26 PM.