Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Approved Member

Default want to know how others use their pedals when doing a roll.

I think I find it best to use small, and many left / right rudder all the way around, as opposed to 1/2 left then 1/2 right. What do you do?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM
71st_Mastiff

yes i do it helps the plane roll faster
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 05-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revi View Post
I think I find it best to use small, and many left / right rudder all the way around, as opposed to 1/2 left then 1/2 right. What do you do?
If You are doing a nice clean axial roll like in an airshow or perhaps a 4-point roll then you use rudder and elevator inputs together to maintain a straight line parallel to the ground, the rudder being used like an elevator when the plane is on it's side to prevent the nose from dropping, then down elevator while the plane is inverted and again rudder returning to the top. In some aircraft in the game I find myself using opposite rudder input during aileron turns to keep the nose from dropping as well.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

It depends on the plane, the flying conditions and the purpose of the roll.

After a "sizors" type sequence, in the Mig-3, at the right speed, it is possible to climb and then use the rudder to maintain pitch while banking sideways. As the aircraft approaches stalling speed one can throw the nose still higher and then, reversing rudder, use its weight to produce a tremendous downward yaw a few seconds later. This produces a very large amount of side-slip and can bring you right behind an enemy fighter that would have escaped any other aircraft. The whole maneuver last two to three seconds. It is a very specific form of the barrel roll (essentially unique to one aircraft, at a certain flight speed).

One of the neatest maneuvers possible, as far as I know, only in certain Yak-9 variants:
1) Pitch up abruptly so that the airplane exceeds AOA (begins to jerk)
2) Just as the vibrations begin apply full right rudder and full right aileron (the aircraft should begin to spin). Keep pitching up.
3) Once the spin is established (about one second) reverse the rudder and elevators (ie. pitch down and yaw left). Keep the Aileron at full right deflection.
4) This should put the aircraft into an inverted high-speed spin (with the wings exceeding the maximum negative angle of attack). Recovery is relatively straightforward...

Does anyone else have similar aircraft specific or bizarre maneuvers?

S!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Approved Member

Use the controls in the most uncordinated ways.. with suprising results.
Don't forget engine torque... it adds a nice little touch.

Old news, but here's one (15MB) and another (7MB)

Last edited by K_Freddie; 05-26-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Approved Member

That nice flying "outside the envelope", that is. It would be nice to see it at normal speed.

I've always wondered how much of this potential is due to limitations in the flight model engine... Some of the best maneuvers disappeared with the AFM and the new joystick routines (but a few new maneuvers appeared at the same time)...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Approved Member

I often use rudder in roll...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
It would be nice to see it at normal speed.
Play the video at 2x... I slowed the recording speed down to 1/2 speed, because it happens so fast, you don't see much.

They are from an online track records, so no trickery on the speed story.