Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds

King's Bounty: Crossworlds The expansion to the award-winning King’s Bounty: Armored Princess.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlatea View Post
Yes, the fire resistance effect of oil mist works on all creatures as long as they're lv 1-4.

Regarding oil mist in TL, i forgot if they come in two spells, but the one that i used most is -fire resistance one. I think it is more powerful than oil mist, it work on lv 5 (except those with magic immunity).
I don't mean just the negative fire resistance. I mean the negative status effect creating negative morale which also lowers attack rating and defense rating of the targets in the oil mist PLUS you get negative fire resist.

Bad morale decreases the enemy's attack and defense rating scores and critical chance percentage. Meaning, conventional units can benefit from it as well.

Simply to illustrate the point, if you cast Target on say, Black Knights, then cast Oil Mist on the Black Knights, you just increased the Black Knight's survivability (assuming the enemy cannot use fire) even though he does not deal fire damage. The Black Knight can also deal more damage to the enemy since the enemy's Defense rating (not resistance) has gone down.

Now, why would someone do that? To minimize the black knight losses until I can fully summon my Ancient Phoenix and Dragon of Chaos which will annihilate the enemy surrounding the Black Knights.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdamascus View Post
I don't mean just the negative fire resistance. I mean the negative status effect creating negative morale which also lowers attack rating and defense rating of the targets in the oil mist PLUS you get negative fire resist.

Bad morale decreases the enemy's attack and defense rating scores and critical chance percentage. Meaning, conventional units can benefit from it as well.

Simply to illustrate the point, if you cast Target on say, Black Knights, then cast Oil Mist on the Black Knights, you just increased the Black Knight's survivability (assuming the enemy cannot use fire) even though he does not deal fire damage. The Black Knight can also deal more damage to the enemy since the enemy's Defense rating (not resistance) has gone down.

Now, why would someone do that? To minimize the black knight losses until I can fully summon my Ancient Phoenix and Dragon of Chaos which will annihilate the enemy surrounding the Black Knights.
Wait, what? You cast oil mist on your own black knights, and then target them? I have no idea why you think that sounds like a good idea.

Do you mean that you'll use the infinite retal item to cause them to attack a lot? In such a case, stone skin is better for defense. Oil mist is actually really bad for black knights compared to the melee attackers going against it, since there defense is so high. And ranged damage INTO the mist is normal. Only ranged from OUT OF the mist gets lowered.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechnophobe View Post
Wait, what? You cast oil mist on your own black knights, and then target them? I have no idea why you think that sounds like a good idea.

Do you mean that you'll use the infinite retal item to cause them to attack a lot? In such a case, stone skin is better for defense. Oil mist is actually really bad for black knights compared to the melee attackers going against it, since there defense is so high. And ranged damage INTO the mist is normal. Only ranged from OUT OF the mist gets lowered.
Ok, I didn't realize Oil Mist can hurt your own units morale as well, as I am more used to using my own pure level 5s, although it does lower the enemy's attack rating and ultimately it was one of the only ways to suffer no losses in Reha's Arena of Death when using only Black Dragons and Black Knights. It probably washes out though, since the enemy's who attack have reduced their attack rating too, BUT, I still believe it increases survivability.

If you read the last part of WHY one would do this (which you have oddly quoted), you would see why with some inference.

Black Dragon, Dragon of Chaos, and Ancient Phoenix will demolish the enemy's all around the Black Knights (obviously I wouldn't do any damage to the black knights in the process). In the battle I used this, there were ZERO ranged units. That's the point I was trying to illustrate. I can debuff 6 units for the price of 5 mana, and they will suffer FAR more than me (since I have 3 units that deal fire damage, 2 of which are disposable), and I can resurrect the Black Knights faster.

So, while the Black Knight's defense might go down a bit, their survivability still goes up due to my ability to destroy his attackers at ~1.7-2X the speed rate, and since they will be clumped, allow me to do +60 Attack over their defense realizing 3X damage, and the dragons will do maximum effiicency, although the phoenix will not (2 out of 3 hits).

Ironically, if I used stoneskin, I would delay the inevitable, and probably be worse off, since the best defense is good offense (I would have no method to really kill off the enemy nearly as fast for the same mana cost).

I didn't realize oil mist hurts your own units, so from that angle I was incorrect, but I believe the strategy still worked out better for my particular set of units. I need my summons to last as long as possible, so reducing the enemy attack (not to mention more than one stack) AND dealing more damage in a first hit (Ancient Phoenixes are FAST), creates FAR FAR FAR more defense than one might initially think.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Approved Member

Off course oil mist affect morale, since it is a curse/debuff. Anything that appear in the debuff slot effect morale.

Weird that you don't know oil mist affect your own unit. It has always been like that since AP first released.

Another use of oil mist: gaining medal for mage, if you use dragons, its the best way to gain that medal than any other options.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlatea View Post
Off course oil mist affect morale, since it is a curse/debuff. Anything that appear in the debuff slot effect morale.

Weird that you don't know oil mist affect your own unit. It has always been like that since AP first released.

Another use of oil mist: gaining medal for mage, if you use dragons, its the best way to gain that medal than any other options.
Yeah, I almost never used Oil Mist before, and the way I use it now, I am always inside of it and almost always using dragons or magic immune units in it.

I only tried the black knight thing once.

How does the it help you gain the medal any faster? I thought you simply had to trigger a burning effect to get a point towards your medal?

I guess dragons do not always burn, but Oil Mist always forces a burn?

I forgot, but I remember magical spells burning is affectedby intellect. Perhaps unit's chance to burn is also affected by intellect?

In any event, out of all the medals, that one seems really easy to get for dragon users, let alone dragon AND phoenix users.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
How does the it help you gain the medal any faster? I thought you simply had to trigger a burning effect to get a point towards your medal?
I believe he meant the Fire mage medal.

Quote:
I guess dragons do not always burn, but Oil Mist always forces a burn?
Shouldn't think so, nope.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metathron View Post
I believe he meant the Fire mage medal.

Shouldn't think so, nope.
Ooh.. yes of course. I had to do a lot of spamming to get that Fire mage medal.

A lot better than flaming arrow since it has far more utility for the mana.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Approved Member

Yeah i mean that.

Dragons for +% fire effect dmg medal, especially black (use its talent, almost always burn, except to burn immune creatures).